Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to castlebar

• 30-08-2017 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello!

I will move to Castlebar next month to work for a couple of years.
    Any advice on whatever would be appreciated, better places to look for a house/apartment, best pubs, shops...I dont know anything about this area!

Is there any bus service inside Castlebar? Places are close or a car is a must?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There doesn't seem to be a town bus, but it is served by long-distance buses and trains. The town is only 2-3km across - perfectly walkable / cycleable. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/53.8548/-9.2967

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

Depends on where you are working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Peixesapo wrote: »
    Hello!

I will move to Castlebar next month to work for a couple of years.
    Any advice on whatever would be appreciated, better places to look for a house/apartment, best pubs, shops...I dont know anything about this area!

Is there any bus service inside Castlebar? Places are close or a car is a must?

If you're working in town and living in town, nothing will be that far away in terms of a cycle / walk. But like everywhere outside of Dublin, local public transport isn't worth much.

Here's a recent article on the town:

://m.independent.ie/life/green-and-red-flags-fly-as-castlebar-shows-signs-of-recovery-36067296.html

Best place to look for accommodation is Daft ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Castlebar is a decent town with lots going on and only 15 minutes from Westport (if you really want to step it up a gear). GAA and drinking used to be the 2 biggest pastimes, but there is more and more cultural stuff going on now than ever before.....great new bar Bridge Street has all sorts going on and theres a phenomenal restaurant next door to it...I think its called the Dining Room.

Theres more music in town too....Mundy is playing in the old COI on Friday, and Freddy White played there a few weeks ago

When it comes to looking for accomadation, be careful and do your homework. Undesirables have been housed in several estates around town and they are making peoples lives a living hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

Thank you! I am sure I will enjoy it

Regarding accommodation, there will be for sure things that I wont know as i Will be new to town, I am now focusing on finding something close to my job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Peixesapo wrote: »
    Thank you! I am sure I will enjoy it

Regarding accommodation, there will be for sure things that I wont know as i Will be new to town, I am now focusing on finding something close to my job!

Where is your job located?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Peixesapo

Close to the baxter factory

Advertisement