Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to avoid during pregnancy

Options
  • 30-08-2017 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been done before, but just curious to see what other peoples thoughts are.

There's so much varying advice out there on whats ok and whats not ok during pregnancy and everybody you meet has a different opinion on what you can and can't eat, what you should or should not be taking etc.

I personally am just trying trying to take a relaxed sensible approach and avoid the following:
    • Alcohol (don't smoke so not an issue)
    • unnecessary medication/ OTC medication other than paracetemol (I have continued to take my anti anxiety medication however)
    • Soft cheeses
    • raw/ undercooked meats and fish
    • Pate and livers

What is everybody else avoiding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Caffeine is one. Not sure if its ok in small amounts but it's probably best to avoid and take decaffeinated teas, coffees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Oh yes I always forget about that since I've completed gone off the taste of tea and coffee!!

I really miss my morning coffee, just the thought of it makes me feel ill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

When I was pregnant I followed the nhs guidelines. They're evidence based and relaxed.

Raw fish is ok if it's been flash frozen which it should have been I'd it's sold commercially. Any cheese is good if it's been pasteurised which most (but not all) commercially available cheeses have been.

Caffeine is the big one you're missing. There are different recommended levels. Think the nhs is 200mg per day.

Alcohol, runny eggs & rare steak were the major things I gave up. Cutting back on caffeine was the worst though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

figrolls wrote: »
    [*]unnecessary medication/ OTC medication other than paracetemol

On this note, you also have to be careful with creams and ointments. I hurt my back and found out that I couldn't use Deep Heat, Voltarol, Ibuprofen gel etc. due to the anti inflammatory properties.

Whipped icecream or milkshakes is another thing I read about due to possible listeria but I don't know if thats a bit hyper vigilant due to such low risks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Shellfish is another one to avoid.

Here's the NHS link about caffiene, it's handy because it shows how much caffeine is in various different drinks: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/limit-caffeine-during-pregnancy.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=130

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mainly I avoided reading American based "things to avoid" lists, as they don't apply here! lol. ;)

Stuff I avoided:

Booze ... but I had a glass of port at Christmas time.
    Caffeine and smoking I don't do anyway
    Wouldn't normally be taking anything other than the odd paracetmol either.
    Shellfish I dropped, bit risky

Soft cheeses are fine if pasteurised.
    Rare meat is fine as long as seared the outside (not rare minced meat). I ate loads of that for the iron.

Things to increase.
    Fish is very good for you during pregnancy, so I increased my intake of that.
    Black pudding, loads of Iron in there, I had mad cravings for it too.
    Folic acid and vit D supplements.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

pwurple wrote: »
    Rare meat is fine as long as seared the outside (not rare minced meat). I ate loads of that for the iron.

What??? I've been having my steaks done medium when I could have had rare like usual??? I think I might cry :pac: I know what's gonna be for dinner tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm following the NHS advice as well. Limiting my tea to 3 cups a day. Never drank coffee anyway. I went off fried eggs in first trimester but back on them now. I have them slightly runny as long as I cook them myself and it's the same brand I've been eating for years.

The rest I didn't eat/drink before pregnancy so no changes there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I've gone off tea and coffee due to sickness but in the last few days has eased off so might have 1 coffee or tea a day, I think the NHS recommendations are practical. I haven't been able to stomach red meat or fish (which I normally love) or veg but have been eating a lot of cheese for calcium.

On a side note what beauty products/regimes have you ladies given up (if any) ?

I want to continue to colour my hair as it's going grey and I have gotten electrolysis as usual for my upper lip hair. I'll use the Jolen bleach as well occasionally. One of my night creams has retinol but I heard it's only a myth that you have to avoid that in pregnancy unless its prescription strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I had the odd glass of wine while pregnant. Maybe one glass a fortnight or so. Between all the stresses and strains of a rough pregnancy, it almost felt medicinal!

I didn't smoke and I don't drink tea or coffee anyway.

I avoided shellfish, which was annoying at times as I'm a big shellfish fan. And also soft cheese and rare steak and whipped ice cream. My midwife also told me to avoid deli-style meats and salads which were sitting out, so I did that too.

• Advertisement

I have to avoid my top ups for laser hair removal (one every 3-4 months) The clinic point blank refuses to do it on pregnant women because it can cause hyper pigmentation on the skin. Other than that, my beauty "regime" hadn't changed. I only wear makeup for special occasions so apart from cleansing and moisturising there's nothing else I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The only thing I did was quit smoking. The rest I ignored. You have to live and I think some of this 'advice' is scaremongering.

After this baby is born, I'm going to eat the biggest prawn cocktail ever! :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ibuprofen,particularly in the first trimester (discovered after I was prescribed ibuprofen for ear pain while on holidays....came back, found I was pregnant and told to stay away from it by my own doctor 😠)

I have drunk tea through both pregnancies, no bother.I stopped drinking coffee because it kickstarts the nausea.Really, really missed the coffee second time round....

Toots wrote: »

I'm still eating prawns as long as they are from a reputable place and cooked well through. When I went to my GP to confirm my pregnancy the only thing she told me to avoid was alcohol and pate (too high a concentration of vitamin A in liver) and to limit caffeine. When I mentioned seafood to her she said unless you were eating shellfish every day then having it out for a meal every so often is fine. She also said to limit tuna, but I don't like the taste of it anyway so wasn't an issue.

I've gone from 6-8 cups of coffee a day when in work to none, and that's only because it makes me sick, I'm really hoping I get my taste for it back!

So far haven't really missed anything, but christmas this year will be a test, being 39 weeks pregnant and not having the usual nibbles of brie, pate and wine won't make for fun!

jadie wrote: »

On a side note what beauty products/regimes have you ladies given up (if any) ?

I want to continue to colour my hair as it's going grey and I have gotten electrolysis as usual for my upper lip hair. I'll use the Jolen bleach as well occasionally. One of my night creams has retinol but I heard it's only a myth that you have to avoid that in pregnancy unless its prescription strength.

I had wondered about that aswell, when you google any of these things they generally direct you to US websites and they are terrible for scaremongering, its amazing pregnant women can function in day to day life if they stuck by all the "rules" some of them list.

I've used my jolen bleach occasionally but other than that and a make up I don't really have much of a regime. My skin has broken out terrible since becoming pregnant and I've found minimal product use actually helps.

A girl in work was saying that the likes of gel manicures or shellac would be a no no aswell, but not sure about that really to be honest, seems a bit ott....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I avoided rare meat and alcohol. A bit upset now that I didn't need to avoid the steak at all!!! I don't drink tea and coffee anyhow, but I do drink Diet Coke - not a huge amount, so I kept that!
    I never avoided ice cream from machines, I think I was on my second pregnancy before I heard that there's a question mark over that one!
    A work colleague told me at one stage that she got an awful lot of stretch marks from getting a bikini wax in pregnancy, so I was a bit nervous about that, but I still had a bit of a tidy up the week before my due date, with no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

A girl in work was saying that the likes of gel manicures or shellac would be a no no aswell, but not sure about that really to be honest, seems a bit ott....

I wonder is that due to the safety aspect of the hospital needing a clear nail to check capilliary refills at times.

I REALLY miss pate! I have already decided that I will have pate and a glass of wine at christmas (baby should be a month old at that point and I hope to breastfeed so will still be avoiding booze).

Can you not eat prawns though? I have though cooked ones in a curry or cold not fresh shelled as such

So far haven't really missed anything, but christmas this year will be a test, being 39 weeks pregnant and not having the usual nibbles of brie, pate and wine won't make for fun!
    You'll still be good to go with brie once it's pasteurised - M&S do one that's pasteurised, and the "President" one is too. You can get non-alcoholic wine (well I think there's a teeny tiny bit in it, like you'd have to drink the whole bottle for it to be the same as one glass of regular wine) and it can be quite nice. Fre is the brand I usually get at Christmas. Now I'll add a disclaimer to this - I'm a non drinker, so if you're a wine buff you could well think it tastes like sh*te :pac: I just get it so I can make delicious mulled wine but without the alcohol.
    I wonder is that due to the safety aspect of the hospital needing a clear nail to check capilliary refills at times.

I REALLY miss pate! I have already decided that I will have pate and a glass of wine at christmas (baby should be a month old at that point and I hope to breastfeed so will still be avoiding booze).

I was wondering that about the shellac/gels too. I had manicures while I was expecting my first baby and nothing ever happened, but stopped getting them at about 7 months, because I had pelvic pain so sitting at the nail bar was too uncomfortable. I remember being told in the antenatal class that you needed to take nail polish off your fingers and toes before you go to hospital for labour.

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »
    Can you not eat prawns though? I have though cooked ones in a curry or cold not fresh shelled as such

My GP said no shellfish :( Devastated, cos we went on holidays when I was 10 weeks pregnant and one of the restaurants there does an amazing lobster. Also had to forgo paella this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I am just sticking to the more obvious ones like the caffeine.. Got loverly decaff the Azera Nestle one, really nice and tis all water decaff which is great... Things like raw items is a given but tis more just incase..

Cooked fish as far as I know was ok, I have had prawns, crab claws,lobster.. Even the cheese had the melted brie and some cooked soft cheese but in the 4th month and a little if offered, not a huge portion..

Things then like cigs, gave up the day I found out, same with wine.. I had a small little glass for any special dinner or party night but that's it...

Just a note for anyone also that uses voltaren gel, this one should be on the old list of everyday no nos, but can lead to problems with the heart if overused

I read an article about a month ago going through all the conflicting advice on what not to eat and drink during pregnancy by country. It was interesting to see that it's in no way standard. For example, in one women are advised not to eat salads in restaurants etc and at home they use some kind of chemical to wash lettuce etc. In Japan sushi is fine to eat. I suppose a lot of it's down to food hygiene standards etc. For example, I would be ignoring US advice unless I'm in the US since they have so many additives in food not allowed here.

My GP said no shellfish :( Devastated, cos we went on holidays when I was 10 weeks pregnant and one of the restaurants there does an amazing lobster. Also had to forgo paella this year too.

No cooked is fine, phew 😅
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#fish

bee06 wrote: »
    I read an article about a month ago going through all the conflicting advice on what not to eat and drink during pregnancy by country. It was interesting to see that it's in no way standard. For example, in one women are advised not to eat salads in restaurants etc and at home they use some kind of chemical to wash lettuce etc. In Japan sushi is fine to eat. I suppose a lot of it's down to food hygiene standards etc. For example, I would be ignoring US advice unless I'm in the US since they have so many additives in food not allowed here.

Yes it's very interesting how it varies by country. In some countries smoking and alcohol aren't warned against etc.

Even in Ireland it varies so widely depending on who you're talking to. I've found a lot of people giving me their opinions on peanuts and if they're safe or not. I didn't see it on the NHS website so have decided its fine.

And that's another thing, people are very forthcoming with their (unrequested) opinions on anything and everything pregnancy related, but that's a whole other rant....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have got a few looks with the peanut topic too.. After going mad on sweet things I tried to eat more healthy so peanut butter and apple is a fave treat. The doctor was a bit well now, but no one in the family has an allergy or anything. If they did it would make me think more but since not I took it as fine to eat

I think they did advise not to peanuts before but changed the guidance since. I think some of the preganany things are the same as all nutritional advice. It seems like one day something is bad for you and the next it's good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

You can eat shellfish once it's cooked properly Toots.

Things I limit in pregnancy:

Alcohol
    Fish with high mercury levels
    Paté
    Sugar (but I tend to limit this in everyday life anyway)

Things I avoid completely:

Bump rubbers.

I don't smoke or drink coffee, everything else is fine in moderation imo/research.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I follow the NHS guidelines in general. The guidance changes all the time though - it's only 2 years since I was pregnant with my son and was told then not to eat runny eggs, that has since changed to "it's ok to eat them if they meet the British Red Lion standards".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bungee jumping. Especially in the last few weeks. Unless you're waaaaay overdue. Then go feet first.

Advertisement