Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status of a house connection and probable arrears.

Options
  • 30-08-2017 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Hi.  Dont know if you can assist me, its kind of complicated, but will try anyway.

I am cleaning out a house which is being officially vacated shortly.  It belongs to a family member but let to the council long term, who provide tenants.

I see somebody has installed a PAYG meter and have a serious suspicion the tenants racked up big arrears.  The tenants are out of the country but are returning shortly to facilitate the surrender to me/council.

If I start cleaning up this house, I will need to top up this meter for my tools and whatever, but am I going to end up paying their probable arrears off my topups?   I see an esb card in their name in the house.  How do I top up this meter?  Can I just buy a credit in a shop and type it in?  Will I lose a percentage for their arrears?

There is not a lot of point in changing the meter account at present as new tenants will be allocated by the council when house is cleaned and serviced - probably talking early october.

As I said, kind of complicated. I think they are going back to Nigeria.

Any advice you can give me?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 52 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Anna

Hi ScouseMouse, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

A top up can be purchased in any Payzone outlet.

Alternatively, you can buy a top-up online here.

You will need a Keypad number to buy a top-up. This is the long number on the card, starting with 9826. 

Should there be any outstanding balance on the Electric Ireland account, 25% of the top-up will be used towards this balance.

We recommend contacting our colleagues in the Pay As You Go department on 1850 372 372 for more information. Our recommendation is to register the account in your own name before the new tenant moves in. This needs to be done to prevent you from paying the previous occupant's bills. 

We hope this helps. 

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Thanks, 
    Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hi ScouseMouse, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

A top up can be purchased in any Payzone outlet.

Alternatively, you can buy a top-up online here.

You will need a Keypad number to buy a top-up. This is the long number on the card, starting with 9826. 

Should there be any outstanding balance on the Electric Ireland account, 25% of the top-up will be used towards this balance.

We recommend contacting our colleagues in the Pay As You Go department on 1850 372 372 for more information. Our recommendation is to register the account in your own name before the new tenant moves in. This needs to be done to prevent you from paying the previous occupant's bills. 

We hope this helps. 

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Thanks, 
    Anna
    Thanks for the reply but they are being difficult with me.  They want proof of tenancy or ownership.  This is not possible to provide.  I have referred it to the owner in the middle east and he is now talking to them.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi ScouseMouse,

Thank you for letting us know.

In some cases, proof of tenancy or ownership will be required.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Advertisement