Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 11 -Lorca - Observatorio Astronómico de Calar Alto 187.5km

Options
  • 30-08-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

The first of the big mountain stages. Two Cat 1 climbs back to back at the end of the stage, The Alto de Velefique is 13.2km at 8.6% followed by climb to Observatorio Astronómico de Calar Alto which is 15.5km at 5.9%. Both climbs are at their toughest, getting into double figure gradients in the final kilometer. However, Alto de Velefique is a very consistent climb all the way whilst Calar Alto has a tough first part followed by 5 km averaging just over 2% before kicking back up again in the final third.

vuelta_a_espana_stage_11_profile_670.png

This one is for the GC. Given the length and gradients of the climbs it has Froome written all over it but I fancy Majka as he's far enough off the GC to be let off but has the capability to win here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

When is the froome tiredness expected to come? I cant remember the last time he's had a bad day, the only one that comes close recently is the peyreguedes in the tdf this year, but he lost seconds rather than minuted there.

If he pisses away with this, and with the tt to come, its got to be demoralising for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

retalivity wrote: »
    I cant remember the last time he's had a bad day

If he pisses away with this, and with the tt to come, its got to be demoralising for everyone else.

the time he crashed and broke his foot or knee in this race a few years ago and had to pull out

hes made the tdf demoralising as it is and while i think some people want to see him do a double no one wants to see him walk away with it. problem is there isnt really anyone rider or team that can really put it up to him or sky every day and make it a battle

Yeah Froome is a step above the rest. If they had stronger teams Nibali & Contador could have a proper go at him. Unless he has a really bad day Froome has this Vuelta won.

Dunne in the break again with some stellar company - bardet, jungels, anton, mohoric, visconti, de marchi.

Nearly 3mins up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

14-rider breakaway have 3'15" on the peloton with 117 km remaining.

Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale), Bob Jungels (Quick-Step Floors), Alessandro De Marchi (BMC), Antonio Pedrero (Movistar), Lennard Hofstede (Sunweb), Simon Clarke (Cannondale-Drapac), Antwan Tolhoek (LottoNL-Jumbo), Matej Mohoric (UAE Team Emirates), Sander Armée (Lotto Soudal), Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida), Igor Anton (Dimension Data), David Arroyo (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Conor Dunne (Aqua Blue Sport) and Aldemar Reyes (Manzana Postobon).

• Advertisement

^^^^^
    *snap* with retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Wasnt it supposed to get hoter as they went south

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I reckon Dunne is head and shoulders above that lot.

Didnt realise Dunne was the current lanterne rouge either

Didnt realise Dunne was the current lanterne rouge either

That is a good competetion for Ireland...Bennett at the Tour :)

• Advertisement

The Orica riders have put the foot down very early, peloton in bits already :-)

I had to check the GC to see where SIMON Yates was. He's way down. He was going good until the stage on Sunday, when he lost a bucket load of time (10+ minutes). Anyone remember what happened to him? :confused:

I had to check the GC to see where SIMON Yates was. He's way down. He was going good until the stage on Sunday, when he lost a bucket load of time (10+ minutes). Anyone remember what happened to him? :confused:

Just tired I'd say from the Tour...he is young yet

hows nico doing? only getting into this now

Nico was hanging out near the back of the GC group until about 2kms ago. He is now closer to the front. Maybe he will try something again on the descent?

Must had a problem as he is now trying to get back in contact with the GC group

neris wrote: »
    hows nico doing? only getting into this now

Still there

Any other BMC rider there with Nico and TvG?

I think Roche went to the front to try on the descent but he must have had a mechanical as next he was coming back ....

Yeah they picked him up shaking his head as he got back on , not sure what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

When is the froome tiredness expected to come? I cant remember the last time he's had a bad day, the only one that comes close recently is the peyreguedes in the tdf this year, but he lost seconds rather than minuted there.

Reminds me of Armstrong!!!

We will find out what happened in his diary tomorrow :-) Nico and TvG are together near the from of the group. Froome has 5 teammates with him at this stage :-(

Peloton took it very handy on the descent...from being within 45secs the gap is now near 3 mins

Whats with all the ads today ffs they never do that inside 20-30 km to go :mad:

Franco Pellizotti leading the peloton at the moment just like in the Giro...
    he's like a fine wine... getting better with age

nico out the back door

Mini attack from Bertie & Contador.
    Nico in trouble

Not good for Nico to be dropped with 11 km to go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

So Bertie and Nibali working together can drop two Sky Domestiques. What hope is their for anyone

• Advertisement

Red jersey group of 5, 3 of them sky.
    Ffs.

Advertisement