Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Union ID issues!

Options
  • 30-08-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Well. With a friend who tried to transfer some money via western union. Absoloute disgrace I have to say. It was under €100.. He did it online. Only after 4 hours to receive an email stating he would have to email them ID and answer a few questions. By which time he had transfered money via bank and so rang them to ask for money back. He was then told again he had to provide even more information and ID as to who he was. When he asked why and stated he wasnt comfortable sending this kind of information via email, he was told because his name was similar to someone who was under investigation!! Not even the same name. Just similar. Im not even the one trying to get my money back and this has infuriated me!! Absoloute disgrace!! Western Union sort it out!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Western Union has severe fraud problems, so verifying ID is sensible. Can't see an issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

It's called Anti Money Laundering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

They send you a letter blah blah email us when you get it.

Easier just to go into An Post or the Polish/Muslim shops first time. The customer service is a joke too. I sent money to Fort Lauderdale and the agent there messed up something and Western Union were next to useless on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's a terrible service and a rip off. Used it years ago to receive emergency funds. These days it's not necessary with the availability of quick transfers and prepaid debit/credit cards. I also take issue with the tightening of restrictions with cash. I swear that some tellers are just nosey fVckers as I have been asked in a credit unit about where I got an amount of money I was transferring into my wifes account. It was well under the thresh-hold and so I told her it was not her concern. That was the end of it....cash lodged and no issues the next time I went in to lodge funds.

Was also surprised when I was in the post office yesterday asking for 1200USD I was asked for ID and a utility bill. The chap told me that any FX transactions above €1000 required this. I said I have my drivers license which has my address on it, or I could do two transactions to get by the policy :D

I got my dollars no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

goz83 wrote: »
    It's a terrible service and a rip off. Used it years ago to receive emergency funds. These days it's not necessary with the availability of quick transfers and prepaid debit/credit cards. I also take issue with the tightening of restrictions with cash. I swear that some tellers are just nosey fVckers as I have been asked in a credit unit about where I got an amount of money I was transferring into my wifes account. It was well under the thresh-hold and so I told her it was not her concern. That was the end of it....cash lodged and no issues the next time I went in to lodge funds.

Was also surprised when I was in the post office yesterday asking for 1200USD I was asked for ID and a utility bill. The chap told me that any FX transactions above €1000 required this. I said I have my drivers license which has my address on it, or I could do two transactions to get by the policy :D

I got my dollars no bother

Do you really think the cashiers care in the slightest.....they're told to do it as it's part of the AML policy the compants has in order to be a mone year transmission service.....I'm sure they'd rather not ask as it'd make their lives easier but they'd have their license taken off them if they didn't follow their policy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement