Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Water Tanks in Attic

• 30-08-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just a quick question, would anybody be able to give a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to buy:

- Two new PVC water tanks for the attic
    - Rough guess on how much a plumber would charge to replace the old ones

Just trying to put a bit of a budget together for works on the house and don't really have a clue on this!

From what I've been told, both current tanks are galvanised steel, one for general water and a smaller "header" tank for the central heating. The main tank is insulated but the header one isn't.... also I'm not sure if all the pipes are insulated or would need to be..

Any rough guesses on how much it would cost to get sorted?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Rough ballpark is 400/500 euro supplied & fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Rough ballpark is 400/500 euro supplied & fitted

Thanks for that, I had expected it to be more to be honest! I'll allow a couple of hundred extra just in case but good to have a figure to work with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I had a huge one supplied and installed for €350 cash a few months ago. Dublin 12

He left the two old ones up there, but empty and I eventually took them down myself. they were manky.

left them in the front garden and the friendly neighbourhood scrap fairies took them in 30 minutes.

stiofan85 wrote: »
    I had a huge one supplied and installed for €350 cash a few months ago. Dublin 12

He left the two old ones up there, but empty and I eventually took them down myself. they were manky.

left them in the front garden and the friendly neighbourhood scrap fairies took them in 30 minutes.

Thats good to hear, I was expecting it to be much more for some reason

Apparently you can turn the old ones into garden features.....or so i've been told, not sure if true or worth it, might be better to give to the scrap fairies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

stiofan85 wrote:

How did you get it down? Most tanks are installed while the house is being built. Usually they won't fit though the attic hatch
    bigronnie9 wrote:
    Apparently you can turn the old ones into garden features.....or so i've been told, not sure if true or worth it, might be better to give to the scrap fairies!

More times than not you'll have to cut up the tank to get it through the hatch. That is why they are usually left there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How did you get it down? Most tanks are installed while the house is being built. Usually they won't fit though the attic hatch

Correct. Since I was renovating at the time and the hallway needed to be replastered, I widened the hatch as the plumber couldn't get the new tank up.

The old ones *barely* fit back out. There was still a bit of wet crud at the bottom, so I'd advise putting something absorbant in if you're trying to lift them out and plug the opening with something that won't come unstuck as it's a bit clunky and that horrible stuff splashing all over you and your floor is unpleasant.

Cheers for the replies lads, all good to bare in mind when getting this done!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 elmo1984

Hey guys, just in case you check back this thread, if anyone can recommend by private message the company/ person who replaced their tank I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Elmo

Advertisement