Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Month Old Bike Issues

Options
  • 30-08-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Bought a 1K heavy duty mountain bike 4 months ago, was going great, then issues started to come up.

Ive brought it back, including the six week service, a total of 4 times now. The latest being to a local bike shop, as the original place knows them and i got sick of M50 tolls/petrol/putting bike in car etc

The local place had a look saturday, then said come in wednesday, now i'm told won't look at it till saturday. So that's a week without it, then waiting on what they say and will the shop i got it from agree to do it under warranty

Am i nearing a refund or would i likely only be near a replacement(my model sold out now)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Make sure the local bike shop dont modify or change anything. It could void your warranty altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

M50? So.... you bought it in Halfords, right...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

ssmith6287
    The manager of the shop knows the co owner of the local shop its in, in fact he use to do his job, so he said get him to look at it and tell me what's wrong, then they'll see from there

endacl
    No, sure there's a halfords ten minutes walk from me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hard to comment sensibly without some idea of the kinds of issues arising.

Hard to comment sensibly without some idea of the kinds of issues arising.

Brought bike in for six week checkup, said about brakes making slicing noise and wanting mudguards

Mudguards were crap and broke in weeks, went back, again i mentioned brakes. Mudguards changed and brakes fixed or so i thought

Went off, brakes not making noise because took about a week to stop when you pulled lever

Had a look and tried to tighten them, long story short I unscrewed the wrong bolt, took to a nearish bike shop done a botch job(screw in where plastic cap goes)and wasn't happy

Went back to original bike shop, told them what happened and the gears were off, almost got bike back, ah the pads are contaminated(unless i got oil on disc then pads , i don't think i did) paid for new pads and off i went

Two days later, gears still off, and banging from back of bike(had work on back breaks), went to local shop, other owner couldn't see issue, said would have to leave it with them i said it's only 4 months old i'll go back to original place

Went home and got on the phone to workshop manager, who started to give me an attitude, i asked for them to collect the bike as they have delivery service,20 minutes drive is too far it seems
    On about why didnt i tell them about noise, well it wasn't there and i told them about gears and they didn't do anything with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Mudguards were crap and broke in weeks, went back, again i mentioned brakes. Mudguards changed and brakes fixed or so i thought - mudguards are an add on, doesn't count as a fault on the bike

Went off, brakes not making noise because took about a week to stop when you pulled lever

Had a look and tried to tighten them, long story short I unscrewed the wrong bolt, took to a nearish bike shop done a botch job(screw in where plastic cap goes)and wasn't happy - you could have had a case for the brakes being faulty but you and another shop then went on to damage bike. They could easily say no warranty there

Went back to original bike shop, told them what happened and the gears were off, almost got bike back, ah the pads are contaminated(unless i got oil on disc then pads , i don't think i did) paid for new pads and off i went - if oil on the pads then again your own fault, or the crowd you got to fix it.

Two days later, gears still off, and banging from back of bike(had work on back breaks), went to local shop, other owner couldn't see issue, said would have to leave it with them i said it's only 4 months old i'll go back to original place - if the local shop owner couldn't replicate the issue then you might not have a case.

Ssmith6287

Thanks for the information

Mudguards i know nothing to do with bike/warranty, just filling in the whole story

Lucky they didn't damage the bike, all it was was a screw in where a dust cap should go(from what i can see), that's fixed and back as it should be

I feel i wouldn't be at the pads if the workshop fixed them on the 6 week checkup, then they had two more chances to do it, how many times should places be give. Lucky i didn't get into a accident etc thanks to the brakes.

Well he's looking for more than that, i got the impression he's going over it with a fine tooth comb and hopefully fix it all, original place foot bill and i get to cycle it and not bring it to workshops again till yearly checkup

Just the general issues/can't cycle such an expensive bike(to me as i don't work, i know there's MUCH dearer bikes), not even being used to its full potential(mostly on road etc, never on mountain trails etc) and it doesn't seem i'm getting what i paid for

Advertisement