Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car, gave logbook. Owner no longer wants the car

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tom_k wrote: »
    Secondly, if you choose to answer any future calls fom the buyer or any of his representatives, explain that the sale has been finalised and that you do not wish to receive any further contact which you will consider harassment and will report as such.
    OP; get an app that can record calls. May be useful in the future. Only one (you) need to know that the call is being recorded. Don't bother telling them that the call is being recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

mordajedna wrote: »
    Later today his mechanic called me "recommending that I give him something to fix the engine because he wants to go to court".
    Seriously doubt a genuine mechanic would call and say that, they know better. It's definitely a friend of his, I know it's a headache but I'd just leave it at "not my fault, want to bring me to court, fine, I'll talk to you then. Bye", nothing will ever happen, a solicitor will set him straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

mordajedna wrote: »
    I assure you. I'm not a private market seller. This was the first car I got since Feb 2016.

Later today his mechanic called me "recommending that I give him something to fix the engine because he wants to go to court".

Ehh, has to paint the kitchen out of this stress :)

Do not pay a penny to him as that admits liability. Tell him it was sold as seen and his mechanic will know that. If he rings back tell him you will report him for harassing you and then block his number.

The buyer hasn't a leg to stand incabd know fine well he hasn't, he's just chancing his arm. Let him go to a solicitor if he wants, they'll tell him he's wasting his time but they may send you a letter in which case you simply write back and ask them to quote you the law where it states a private individual selling a car is liable for anything. You won't hear anything ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

My guess, there is fcuk all wrong with the car.
    Buyer wants to bully OP into handing over money for "repairs" that don't exist.

Got it in 1, more toll payment letters on there way too I reckon. Miraculously I may add, seeing as the chain, no eh belt, apparently snapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

enricoh wrote: »
    Got it in 1, more toll payment letters on there way too I reckon. Miraculously I may add, seeing as the chain, no eh belt, apparently snapped!

The fact that he already went through the toll without paying despite knowing that the car was not registered in his name and the fines would be going to the OP tells you all you need to know about this scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

CiniO wrote: »
    The problem with that is when buying from a dealer you're also not protected against things like that.
    Warranties are not obligatory, and very often they exclude timing belt/chain issues.
    When buying from a dealer car must me of merchantable quality, fit for purpose and as described.
    However timing chain or belt failing few days after sale, provided is wasn't overdue change, and there wasn't any symptoms it might go at time of sale, is just pure bad luck, and dealer could wash hands the same as private seller.

Hence why I said reputable dealer :) You'll pay a bit more, but less likely to get burned if there's a problem in my experience.

I'm not saying there's not decent smaller outfits (the first A6 I bought ended up going back when it started belching white smoke on the Tallaght bypass after about a fortnight and the deal was reversed with no cost to myself), but private sales are just a minefield that I wouldn't go near unless I either knew the seller, or the car only cost what I could afford to throw away if it came to it.

I'm in my 7th car in 11 years at this stage and I'm happy to pay the bit extra to avoid the hassle (and having to shift an existing car as well) that's described in this thread and many more like it.

Advertisement