Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids on Flights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

That does seem to be a common opinion here.

But neither I nor the airlines care about that common opinion.

Why does anyone imagine that any parent cares about any of this? You buy a ticket, you sit in your seat, you get to the other end. No-one promised you a child-free flight, and your annoyance or otherwise is nobodies problem but yours.
    My kids are too old for this to be an issue anymore, and I only recall one time on one flight where the little guy cried and screamed (last leg of a 3 flight trip to visit family), but yes, I agree. It is no skin off my nose if the guy (always a guy) in the next seat tuts, sighs, folds his arms or glares.

However, if anyone were to butt in and tell me to control my child or similar, he would be told, in no uncertain terms, to pay a visit to a taxidermist on his own behalf.
    Feel free to start a "children should not be allowed in A&E" thread, I'm sure many of the sociopaths here will agree.

Before labelling everyone who does not agree with you a sociopath, perhaps read up on the definition and traits of sociopath in line with your own posts.

Feel free to start a "children should not be allowed in A&E" thread, I'm sure many of the sociopaths here will agree.

You conflate going to AnE with a sick child, with going to the Canaries 'cos Daddy wants cheap beer and sunshine?

You conflate going to AnE with a sick child, with going to the Canaries 'cos Daddy wants cheap beer and sunshine?

You know what? That's a really mean-spirited and small-minded characterisation.

People with kids with special needs deserve a holiday, to visit family, to get away from the weather, to give their other kids a treat, to give the kid with the special needs new experiences and to get away from a difficult and challenging time for a while.

Implying they're all selfishly bad parents just out for the cheap beer at the expense of their kids is just lousy.

It's a few hours, they might not kick off. If they do, you can get on with your life and forget about it in a few hours, you know like a grown-ass adult who recognises that they aren't always the most important person in any given scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd rather put myself through a three hours flight with the child than an overnight ferry.

You cant **** a kid overboard on an airplane though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sheeple34 wrote: »
    Because maybe with a 3 year old Autistic Child, a 22 months old baby and an 8 year old and dealing with judgemental people, she actually needs a holiday.

Courtown is lovely in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

??? Did I say anything about kids should not allowed in A+E? Do you think it's acceptable to let a kid play screech in a place that full of sick possible dying people?

What a parent might see as socially acceptable behavior by their kids doesn't mean they are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

TBH if I was on a flight and there was a screaming child beside me and there was space to move I'd ask to move. That's not a slight on the parents that's me just looking after my own health which I don't think is all that bad mannered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No, I conflate "people who think I or the airlines care that they dislike my children" with "people who think I or the hospital staff care that they dislike my children".

For people who dislike sharing the planet with children, letting off steam here rather than tutting and glaring in real life is probably good for everyone.

Candie wrote: »
    You know what? That's a really mean-spirited and small-minded characterisation.

People with kids with special needs deserve a holiday, to visit family, to get away from the weather, to give their other kids a treat, to give the kid with the special needs new experiences and to get away from a difficult and challenging time for a while.

Implying they're all selfishly bad parents just out for the cheap beer at the expense of their kids is just lousy.

It's a few hours, they might not kick off. If they do, you can get on with your life and forget about it in a few hours, you know like a grown-ass adult who recognises that they aren't always the most important person in any given scenario.

Um...I wasn't referring to the people in the OP...

The conversation had moved on from the specifics, which neither you nor I know, long ago.

The Canaries should have been the give away - if you cared enough about them yourself you'd know they weren't going there - before you rushed in with yet another analysis of me on yet another thread...;)

Um...I wasn't referring to the people in the OP...

The conversation had moved on from the specifics, which neither you nor I know, long ago.

The Canaries should have been the give away, before you rushed in with yet another analysis of me on yet another thread...;)

Don't flatter yourself Conor, I respond to the post, not the username.

Still a horrible thing to say. The Canaries is where a lot of families holiday, there's no need for the unflattering assessments.

• Advertisement

Don't flatter yourself Conor, I respond to the post, not the username.

Still a horrible thing to say. The Canaries is where a lot of families holiday, there's no need for the unflattering assessments.

Check back on the OP. They were going to Murcia afair. If you bothered to read about their plight. You can now accept that you were completely wrong when you said I was referring to them. Or keep digging...meh either way...

Check back on the OP. They were going to Murcia afair. If you bothered to read about their plight. You can now accept that you were completely wrong when you said I was referring to them. Or keep digging...meh either way...

I didn't say you were referring to them. It's the characterisation of families taking their kids to the Canaries as selfish boozers that I'm responding to.

Meh indeed.

I didn't say you were referring to them. It's the characterisation of families taking their kids to the Canaries as selfish boozers that I'm responding to.

Meh indeed.

So the reference to "kids with special needs" was just coincidence, it wasn't a reference to the OP at all at all?

I think the answer a few years back was "yeah...suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure"! But enjoying the digging up...

So the reference to "kids with special needs" was just coincidence, it wasn't a reference to the OP at all at all?

I think the answer a few years back was "yeah...suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure"! But enjoying the digging up...

You characterize parents taking children on holiday in the Canaries as selfish boozers, and I'm the one digging a hole?

One of us needs a cup of tea and lie down, and I'm not sure which one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You characterize parents taking children on holiday in the Canaries as selfish boozers, and I'm the one digging a hole?

Oh, me! I do!

A poster referred to those who object to screaming kids as "sociopaths", I posted contrasting scenarios, you rushed in and - obviously wrongly - assumed I was referring to the OP. And now absolutely refuse to accept that you erred.

Nah, no lie down, I'm enjoying this...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not only single person at any stage has even hinted that children should not be allowed in A and E . But most people would agree that a parent should control a child in A and E . Encouraging a child to run and squeel in A and E is downright selfish and disruptive . Anyone who cannot see that is simply blind to the needs of others

So while I am here can you name the sociopaths on the thread and quote the posts that led you to that diagnosis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Checking in to see if I am still thread banned, with no email, no notice, no PM, nothing, except a note on thread.

Woo hoo. We'll see in a minute. I am SO worried as you can see.

Mod-Banned.

A poster referred to those who object to screaming kids as "sociopaths", I posted contrasting scenarios, you rushed in and - obviously wrongly - assumed I was referring to the OP. And now absolutely refuse to accept that you erred.

Nah, no lie down, I'm enjoying this...;)

I didn't assume you were referring to the OP, you've made it quite clear that you think people taking children on any flight for a holiday is innappropriate as it may cause disruption. You threw in the daddys cheap booze dig as a cheap shot, and now you're trying to deflect the mean-spiritedness back onto me. You're quite transparent.

I don't want to get into an endless round-and-round, so if it's that important that you feel vindicated I'll let you have the last word and I'll have the cup of tea. One of us has to be the grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I have had a business man tell me my kids were a shower of cúnts and if we were on the ground, he'd kill them. Never mind the screaming kids beside me on the other aisle. My kids were listening watching movies on their tablets with headphones in. There wasn't a peep out of them.

Aer lingus cabin crew stopped serving him because they knew that he was full of shít.

• Advertisement

You're quite transparent...One of us has to be the grown up.

I always enjoy the way you nip in for the ad hominem and personal...and then run away when called up on it. As you would say..."quite transparent". Anyway, we'll get back to the issue that you overlooked before your "I want to have a pop...I've been challenged, so that's my last word" routine...
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So while I am here can you name the sociopaths on the thread and quote the posts that led you to that diagnosis ?

That seems like a fair question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

So people aren't "grown-ass adults" if they can't move on and forget about it in a few hours?
    There's a whole lot of people out there who are anxious/very anxious on planes or just don't fly well for a variety reasons.
    Someone having a prolonged meltdown behind them would be a nightmare scenario for some.
    It could be emotionally exhausting to deal with and won't be forgotten easily.
    You could be making people's fear worse or driving them to have a panic attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

There's a whole lot of people out there who are anxious/very anxious on planes or just don't fly well for a variety reasons.
    Someone having a prolonged meltdown behind them would be a nightmare scenario for some.
    It could be emotionally exhausting to deal with and won't be forgotten easily.
    You could be making people's fear worse or driving them to have a panic attack.

Would, could, scenario, fear....what's your actual point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Checking in to see if I am still thread banned, with no email, no notice, no PM, nothing, except a note on thread.

Woo hoo. We'll see in a minute. I am SO worried as you can see.

Watch out, we got a badass over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

It seems to me that patience for children is an all time low here. In my husbands home country Children are celebrated and welcomed and encouraged. In Ireland I don't really feel that happens. Mostly, people are impatient, irritated and have the opinion that children should sit still and be quiet. I experience this in supermarkets, cafes, trains buses. I do feel that an airplane and its limited spaces is being solely blamed on people angered. and stress from a child screaming but I've been in the city of Dublin with my son have a meltdown and getting similar reactions.

Regards to another poster who wrote about their cousin who was Autistic, I just couldn't help feel that their attitude about Autism was such a inconvenience for everybody and the 'poor child is better of in the car where they want'
    Children without special needs want to eat ice cream all day long but the parent makes sure that doesn't happen. Its the same with special needs or not, we need to encourage and teach etc.

Anyway we were all children once, without children there would be no adults.
    It scares me the attitudes on this thread to be honest. It scares me for my sons future and just proves that Ireland has a long long way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Watch out, we got a badass over here.
    maxresdefault.jpg

caniask86 wrote: »
    It seems to me that patience for children is an all time low here. In my husbands home country Children are celebrated and welcomed and encouraged. In Ireland I don't really feel that happens. Mostly, people are impatient, irritated and have the opinion that children should sit still and be quiet. I experience this in supermarkets, cafes, trains buses. I do feel that an airplane and its limited spaces is being solely blamed on people angered. and stress from a child screaming but I've been in the city of Dublin with my son have a meltdown and getting similar reactions.

Regards to another poster who wrote about their cousin who was Autistic, I just couldn't help feel that their attitude about Autism was such a inconvenience for everybody and the 'poor child is better of in the car where they want'
    Children without special needs want to eat ice cream all day long but the parent makes sure that doesn't happen. Its the same with special needs or not, we need to encourage and teach etc.

Anyway we were all children once, without children there would be no adults.
    It scares me the attitudes on this thread to be honest. It scares me for my sons future and just proves that Ireland has a long long way to go.

The child is not an inconvenience and I never said she was. I said her little cousins are scared of her/don't like playing with her, tell fibs to get her in trouble and I'm pretty sure I said "it sucks" seeing them do that. When she's upset she's put into her moms car to watch dvds and she's happy out. She runs away at birthday parties and doesn't like people coming near her. Her mother tries to intergrate her and get her to mix with other kids but there's only so much forcing she can do on both sides. Her little brother is also non verbal asd but tolerates social situations much better. I don't know where you took that the child's an inconvienience as she's loved dearly and has great support and care.

The child is not an inconvenience and I never said she was. I said her little cousins are scared of her/don't like playing with her, tell fibs to get her in trouble and I'm pretty sure I said "it sucks" seeing them do that. When she's upset she's put into her moms car to watch dvds and she's happy out. She runs away at birthday parties and doesn't like people coming near her. Her mother tries to intergrate her and get her to mix with other kids but there's only so much forcing she can do on both sides. Her little brother is also non verbal asd but tolerates social situations much better. I don't know where you took that the child's an inconvienience as she's loved dearly and has great support and care.

Had another read of your post and it definitely seemed that way. It appears you seem that have that attitude in general about children so its problem not solely aimed at Autism.

There's no doubt about it people look for things to be offended about when it comes to kids, especially autistic kids. I have 2 little cousins on the spectrum. Both non verbal but Ines much worse than the other. We were at a family wedding and in the church she started to scream. Her dad picked her up and left, and returned when she calmed down but she was still making noise (her way of communicating) albeit not loud or scary. She was the brides niece so most people at the wedding knew she wasn't bold. We were leaving and an aul one grabbed my arm and said to me "there's no rearing on that child at all". I said it straight out there's plenty of rearing on her she's just non verbal and has autism. I turned my back to her and walked away.

I'll be the first to admit I'll lose my **** and get stressed out listening to a huge meltdown and I won't feel bad for it. Although I love my cousin dearly, she has meltdowns and gets so stressed out around other people in social situations that I'm afraid of her. Now I'm not afraid she's going to hit me or hurt me but I'm afraid of her because I have no understanding of how to help her or what to do. When she wanders off away from a birthday party and everyone's looking for her because she's hiding from the noise I'm scared when I'm the one to find her because she looks terrified and she can't tell me how to help her.
    When she has a meltdown she frightens other kids too, none of her little cousins want to play with her (and to be fair the child probably prefers that) and I've seen them try get her in trouble because when she's "bold" her mam puts her into the car with the DVD player and she'll calm down. Obviously her mam wants her to play with her cousins and get used to being around other kids so she's put into uncomfortable situations and it sucks seeing the others exclude her or try get her put in the car by herself when she is trying her best to intergrate and take part.

But I don't think it's fair to assume anyone who is affected by the behaviour for anymore than a reasonable amount of time is an asshole. Bitching about a kid because you didn't get to hear all the prayers of the faithful at a wedding or because a kids ears hurt or they were scared for 15 minutes is just an asshole thing to do. Asking to be moved after an hour of hysterical screaming is not unreasonable. When you're not used to that it is distressing and nerve wracking and annoying and feelings are feelings.

I think asd is so complex what might help one family could make things worse for another family so it's not like you can offer to help or make the parent think like you know better than them but almost 2hrs of screaming or seat kicking is unreasonable behaviour

This was one of the posts I was referring too.

• Advertisement

It seems to me that patience for children is an all time low here.

You serious?

I think the opposite. I grew up in a society where bad behaviour by children was met by a whack across the head by parents, teachers...and in certain cases the belt, or even a lot worse. I should say in fairness to my own parents they never laid a hand, I remember getting slaps at school and going home back in the 80s and my Dad bristling with anger that anyone would slap his child. I think we have become far more accepting and understanding that children behave badly for many reasons that are not their fault.

You serious?

I think the opposite. I grew up in a society where bad behaviour by children was met by a whack across the head by parents, teachers...and in certain cases the belt, or even a lot worse. I should say in fairness to my own parents they never laid a hand, I remember getting slaps at school and going home back in the 80s and my Dad bristling with anger that anyone would slap his child. I think we have become far more accepting and understanding that children behave badly for many reasons that are not their fault.

I am very serious. This has been my experience in the last five years. it has been a real eye opener having a child with special needs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No. Some people are annoyed just by a child being in their presence. They don't even have to be distressed or annoying, just breathing!

I had some GAA jersey wearing, tutting stranger in Dublin Airport tell me my kid shouldn't be allowed on the plane until he could afford the ticket himself. My little boy was sitting on his trunkie watching the planes take off. Not a peep out of him.

He was that person on the flight that stood up when the seatbelt sign was on, had to be specifically told to turn off his device on take off and landing, blocked the food cart, drank too much before the flight, pulled the blind down when he shouldn't have, had to be told to fasten his seatbelt, pulled his table down when he shouldn't have...

You know the type. I have a feeling there's a few on this thread.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I had some GAA jersey wearing, tutting stranger in Dublin Airport tell me my kid shouldn't be allowed on the plane until he could afford the ticket himself. My little boy was sitting on his trunkie watching the planes take off. Not a peep out of him.

He was that person on the flight that stood up when the seatbelt sign was on, had to be specifically told to turn off his device on take off and landing, blocked the food cart, drank too much before the flight, pulled the blind down when he shouldn't have, had to be told to fasten his seatbelt, pulled his table down when he shouldn't have...

You know the type. I have a feeling there's a few on this thread.

Meet those types all the time! Maybe we should complain more about adults behaviors

I am very serious. This has been my experience in the last five years. it has been a real eye opener having a child with special needs as well.

We evidently grew up in different times...I'm measuring it over a longer period. Take it from me, treatment of kids was a whole lot worse in the 70s and 80s, I can't pretend to have noticed a change between 2012 and 2017...

This was one of the posts I was referring too.
    Yeah, I'm not seeing your issue to be honest.

• Advertisement

Don't see anything negative in it either.

We evidently grew up in different times...I'm measuring it over a longer period. Take it from me, treatment of kids was a whole lot worse in the 70s and 80s, I can't pretend to have noticed a change between 2012 and 2017...

In your experience maybe. I was born in the 80s, remember playing on the streets with friends, being loud and noisy. Never did anyone complain, now I when I hear children playing happily outside someone always shouts at them to shut up or move along.

Sorry Lexie but overall your posts and tones is pretty much what I have an issue with on this thread and other people too. We obviously see things very differently.

Sorry Lexie but overall your posts and tones is pretty much what I have an issue with on this thread and other people too. We obviously see things very differently.
    We certainly do. If you feel my "tone" isn't inline with the thread, there's a report post function. Knock yourself out with it :)

We certainly do. If you feel my "tone" isn't inline with the thread, there's a report post function. Knock yourself out with it :)

Can you report people that you think aren't nice people in real life? I didn't know that was possible.

• Advertisement

Can you report people that you think aren't nice people in real life? I didn't know that was possible.

Sorry but that's unfair and totally judgemental.

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry but that's unfair and totally judgemental.

That's exactly my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In your experience maybe. I was born in the 80s, remember playing on the streets with friends, being loud and noisy. Never did anyone complain, now I when I hear children playing happily outside someone always shouts at them to shut up or move along.

My kids happily played out in the 80's too .loud and noisy and happy
    Today on the same street I watched kids out playing , loud and noisy and happy . No one batted and eye or asked them to shut up or to move on .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My kids happily played out in the 80's too .loud and noisy and happy
    Today on the same street I watched kids out playing , loud and noisy and happy . No one batted and eye or asked them to shut up or to move on .

That's great to hear, it's the way it should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Don't worry too much, people like to spout off a bit and huff and puff. Let them piss and moan, smile and nod politely and when you're bored, turn around and ignore them. They'll eventually hop off again muttering under their breath.
    What counts is you and your child. Most people are friendly and alright and the rest are tossers and safely ignored.
    They might spout sh*te on the internet, but in the end they are an unimportant nuisance and safely ignored. Children won't be banned, they'll piss and moan a bit, but in the end they don't matter.

I am going on a flight in December with my Autistic son, might be noisy he might not. I advise poster who don't like to avoid the plane.

I am going on a flight in December with my Autistic son, might be noisy he might not. I advise poster who don't like to avoid the plane.

Lots of other people will need to take flights in December. Some will be happy journeys, some will be sad.

Some don't even know about it yet.

It's not just about you.

We all have our challenges.

Lots of other people will need to take flights in December. Some will be happy journeys, some will be sad.

Some don't even know about it yet.

It's not just about you.

We all have our challenges.

The difference is I have no problem with anybody else flying. You're are right, it's not all about me or one person. Each person pays for a a plane ticket. I don't discriminate or make a fuss about who I share a flight with. It's called PUBLIC transport for a reason.

The difference is I have no problem with anybody else flying. You're are right, it's not all about me or one person. Each person pays for a a plane ticket. I don't discriminate or make a fuss about who I share a flight with. It's called PUBLIC transport for a reason.

Well I hope my flight does not have me seated next to a screaming child for an hour and forty five minutes. I've enough going on and I don't think I could cope with that at the minute.

That does not make me a bad person.

Well I hope my flight does not have me seated next to a screaming child for an hour and forty five minutes. I've enough going on and I don't think I could cope with that at the minute.

That does not make me a bad person.

If you are not prepared for unpredictable circumstance which flying is unpredictable and you have no control over noise on a flight then maybe you shouldn't fly.

There are also medication you can take prescribed by your doctor.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement