Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids on Flights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

I'm obeying social standards. The child kicking is not. Maybe kids kicking should not be allowed in public.

You are an adult and so you should. Children are well.. children.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

caniask86 wrote: »
    You are an adult and so you should. Children are well.. children.

Children can learn right from wrong. Should be locked away for public violence IMO.

Children can learn right from wrong. Should be locked away for public violence IMO.

Tapping someone's chair.. hmm ok. I think anyone who shouts or curse's at a child should be given a gardai warning.

Indeed children can and do learn from others what's right and wrong. It's up to all adults to set a good example parents or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I once had the misfortune of sitting one row down from the baby rows on a flight from Los Angeles to Dublin. That sucked but it wasn't anybody's fault. It was just luck of the draw...

I travelled with my 14 month old son to Ireland from Arizona. On the final leg back, some f*cking prick was walking by us when getting on the plane and started talking to my son "you're going to be a good boy, aren't you? You're definitely not going to cry the whole way to Phoenix"

Unfortunately\fortunately our son was perfect. Didn't cry once. We were a bit stressed going and coming back that he may cry and find it difficult, he didn't. He slept most of the trip but for that final leg back I was hoping he would cry the whole way so that f*ckin' guy had a miserable flight.

Anyway, I get more annoyed with the loud drunken' yobs on flights. I have encountered that much more often than loud non-stop crying babies.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    He slept most of the trip but for that final leg back I was hoping he would cry the whole way so that f*ckin' guy had a miserable flight...

You were hoping your child would be distressed for hours, to make some point to someone else?

Did you think of pinching the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Children stressed out in a situation like this, as uncomfortable as it may be for me, is not the worst thing to endure on a flight. Well OK, it probably is but I understand that it is something that cannot be controlled. As a parent you don't know it will happen until it does. You may have an idea it might but you shouldn't sacrifice your life so that I don't get stressed for an hour.

Kids treating a public place like their playground is another story however. They day after a wedding I was in a hotel lobby where my friend allowed their kids and their cousins run amock, chasing each other, screaming and bumping into other guests. I gave hints to them to calm them down but got the whole, they're kids, that's what they do speech. That can be controlled but they don't care as long as they don't need to entertain them themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, with fictional phone conversations (don't believe half your posts Lexie and you seem to developed conditions and afflicted relatives to suit the thread), tutting, eye rolling and hushed whispers I have to give the Irish the Golden Spleen for passive aggressiveness.
    One thing I do like about Germany, if people are not happy about something, they come right out and say it to your face. It's preferable to all the eye rolling, tutting and muttering. Because someone who's straight up with you can be reasoned with.
    As for the attitude that the parents don't care and the kids shouldn't fly or be sedated, well you know it's not going to happen so you pour all your impotent pissing and moaning into an internet forum to make anyone with kids feel guilty and ashamed.
    I wish upon you a screaming child for the entire duration in every plane, bus, restaurant, cinema or other public space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

^ believe them, don't believe them, no skin off my nose.

Your anemia is not my problem not so IGAF. You should stay indoors where it is safe. This is how you'd reason anyway.

:D im glad to know you do GAF at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Calm down.

• Advertisement

Ah lads. What is it with these threads that cause some of you to become so annoyed. A crying child on a plane who is clearly distressed and has parents doing their best to soothe them has all my sympathy. It won't be a pleasant flight for me but that's ok because I understand this is just how it is sometimes.

A bold child with uninterested parents is a different matter. That would definitely bother me because I see it as something which can be prevented and which shows a complete lack of disregard for the other passengers. I'd put Lexie's experience in this category.

Tapping someone's chair.. hmm ok. I think anyone who shouts or curse's at a child should be given a gardai warning.

Indeed children can and do learn from others what's right and wrong. It's up to all adults to set a good example parents or not

Not for tapping someone's chair, for repeatedly kicking a person in the leg. That's violence in public and it's illegal. If you cared to properly read my previous post you'd know that.

Ah lads. What is it with these threads that cause some of you to become so annoyed. A crying child on a plane who is clearly distressed and has parents doing their best to soothe them has all my sympathy. It won't be a pleasant flight for me but that's ok because I understand this is just how it is sometimes.

A bold child with uninterested parents is a different matter. That would definitely bother me because I see it as something which can be prevented and which shows a complete lack of disregard for the other passengers. I'd put Lexie's experience in this category.

How do you judge between a bold child and an upset child? My son can appear bold to someone who doesn't understand autism. He doesn't have hand flapping or other signs that might point people to see he has special needs. The point being in either situation eye rolling and tut tuting does not help.

People get upset over this thread because it's been suggested that we drug our children, keep them indoors, stay home and never go on a holiday. If your child is special needs then they should sit far away in a little corner with sound proof walls and out of sight.

How do you judge between a bold child and an upset child? My son can appear bold to someone who doesn't understand autism. He doesn't have hand flapping or other signs that might point people to see he has special needs. The point being in either situation eye rolling and tut tuting does not help.

People get upset over this thread because it's been suggested that we drug our children, keep them indoors, stay home and never go on a holiday. If your child is special needs then they should sit far away in a little corner with sound proof walls and out of sight.

I'm thinking of the child tormenting other passengers and parents who let it happen.

Not for tapping someone's chair, for repeatedly kicking a person in the leg. That's violence in public and it's illegal. If you cared to properly read my previous post you'd know that.

Quick lock all the children up.

I'm thinking of the child tormenting other passengers and parents who let it happen.

Some people's idea of ' tormenting' might be the child being a child.

Think we have derailed the point about children on planes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Quick lock all the children up.

Why the sarcasm in your posts .It never actually wins and argument .If you make a point clearly and with a reason people might listen to your side . You make valid points about kids with special needs and if made with reason will be more likely to make someone think .

There is no comparison in my opinion between a child with special needs and a child who quite obviously is just not being supervised . Neither should be allowed to kick someone else without being told to stop . Its common courtesy
    If a child repeatedly kicked me on the shins I would expect some intervention from the parent be he special needs or not . But if a parent explained to me that the child has autism I would be more tolerant and more understanding .But regardless I would expect the kicking to be taken control of .

Some people's idea of ' tormenting' might be the child being a child.

Think we have derailed the point about children on planes etc.

It's a discussion which goes around in circles because some people have their view which won't be changed and others have a different also unmoveable stance.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why the sarcasm in your posts .It never actually wins and argument .If you make a point clearly and with a reason people might listen to your side . You make valid points about kids with special needs and if made with reason will be more likely to make someone think .

There is no comparison in my opinion between a child with special needs and a child who quite obviously is just not being supervised . Neither should be allowed to kick someone else without being told to stop . Its common courtesy
    If a child repeatedly kicked me on the shins I would expect some intervention from the parent be he special needs or not . But if a parent explained to me that the child has autism I would be more tolerant and more understanding .But regardless I would expect the kicking to be taken control of .

I was sarcastic because certain posters were trying to create every possible situation in which a child has or will a annoyed them. Also the train situation doesn't sound believable in my opinion and more a story so they can rant about children.

Sometimes sarcasm is all there is when everything else fails.

• Advertisement

I was sarcastic because certain posters were trying to create every possible situation in which a child has or will a annoyed them. Also the train situation doesn't sound believable in my opinion and more a story so they can rant about children.

Sometimes sarcasm is all there is when everything else fails.
    Search my history, i posted about it at the time, and referenced it numerous times since. Happened summer 2015, knock yourself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

caniask86 wrote:
    If your child is special needs then they should sit far away in a little corner with sound proof walls and out of sight.

I think you're being overly dramatic. Common consensus is a need for understanding "on all sides" which is where things are falling apart.

caniask86 wrote:
    If your child is special needs then they should sit far away in a little corner with sound proof walls and out of sight.

I think you're being overly dramatic. Common consensus is a need for understanding "on all sides" which is where things are falling apart.

I think other posters are being over dramatic about children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I did. I think the children are not your issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I don't get why you'd put your child through that. Go on a local holiday. I traveled with my autistic nephew on a 4 hour flight before and it was a horrific experience for him. Right from the moment we stepped into the airport. All the lining up, the amount of people rushing by, the announcements on the intercom, the security checks, the boarding, then the noise of the plane. The feeling on his ears, his parents getting stressed when others were visibly pissed off. It wasn't his fault but to an outsider he was being extremely unruly. Then the same process when landing in the airport. Then the strange or different smells and language agitated him. Not to mention the heat. And then everything was repeated on the way home. The poor child had a horrible time. This was about 6 years ago and all their trips have been close by with no flying since. I think sometimes you need to make some unfortunate sacrifices if you have a child that may not react well to flying.

• Advertisement

If you know one child with autism you know one child with autism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

John_Rambo wrote: »

It's the same with air travel. Some people do it once a year and pay a lot to do it and seem to think they're in some sort of 1950's avantegard jetset elite group and any minor (again) perceived annoyance is eating in to their moment of affluence and prestige.

You can see it down through this thread. Normal folk taking a flight or a dinner in a restaurant thinking their highfalutin, affluent people attending the height of culture and worldliness.

When really... they're on a Ryanair flight or in a family friendly Bistro. Not at the opera.

They're just not used to it. And it shows when they start tut-tuting at families with kids that are most likely more used to dining out and traveling abroad.

Sounds like "Old money" versus "new money" were the old stock look down on the man made wealth with disdain. Disdain also for the hardworking person who has saved up to go on a flight or a meal out and what's going through your head is "here's the pigs out of the parlour for the day, the're just not used to it like us who dine out all the time and fly more than them"

I'd be ashamed if I thought I reared my son with those values and his perceptions of the older generation

I think other posters are being over dramatic about children.

Honestly if a child, regardless of autistic or not, repeatedly kicked me, I wouldn't be long sorting them out and kicking them back.

caniask86 wrote:

What do you mean by this?

caniask86 wrote:

What do you mean by this?

That no child with Autism is alike. It's a huge spectrum with no child having the same issues. Not all children with autism have meltdowns etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Honestly if a child, regardless of autistic or not, repeatedly kicked me, I wouldn't be long sorting them out and kicking them back.
    Strong contender for the Keyboard Warrior of the Year award here.

osarusan wrote: »
    Strong contender for the Keyboard Warrior of the Year award here.

Not necessarily. As I previously said, I have a condition which means I live in chronic pain. If I was kicked multiple times I could lose the ability to walk for days on end

If kicking a child (admittedly not full force) would stop them, of course I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Not necessarily. As I previously said, I have a condition which means I live in chronic pain. If I was kicked multiple times I could lose the ability to walk for days on end

If kicking a child (admittedly not full force) would stop them, of course I would.

I presume you could be arrested for that?

caniask86 wrote:
    That no child with Autism is alike. It's a huge spectrum with no child having the same issues. Not all children with autism have meltdowns etc

Completely understand but I don't think anybody reasonable is suggesting that one size fits all with respect to preparing for, how it might play out or handling a situation that may be difficult.

What is hoped for is conscious/reasonable consideration of all people sharing a public space. Not defacto expectation of complete support and understanding from just one side.

For the record, my heart goes out to everyone on the original flight being discussed, the child, parents other passengers and staff. Nobody had an enjoyable experience.

I presume you could be arrested for that?

Not in an act of self defence. It's the law. Regardless of the age of the attacker, you have the right to defend yourself.

Not in an act of self defence. It's the law. Regardless of the age of the attacker, you have the right to defend yourself.

"Reasonably" defend yourself. Don't know if kicking a child would be viewed as reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

That's a contender for funniest post of the year.

caniask86 wrote:

Completely understand but I don't think anybody reasonable is suggesting that one size fits all with respect to preparing for, how it might play out or handling a situation that may be difficult.

What is hoped for is conscious/reasonable consideration of all people sharing a public space. Not defacto expectation of complete support and understanding from just one side.

For the record, my heart goes out to everyone on the original flight being discussed, the child, parents other passengers and staff. Nobody had an enjoyable experience.

I agree with you and as I've stated many times that I do everything possible to avoid meltdowns and make my son comfortable so that everyone can have a stress free flight. I'll I'm staying is that sometimes I might not be possible despite all the effort we put in and if my son kicks off one time out of a 100 I think I am entitled to fly and go all holidays. Other people would disagree and think we should stay in Ireland.

"Reasonably" defend yourself. Don't know if kicking a child would be viewed as reasonable.

Under normal circumstances no. However if I can't walk for a week, I'm at income loss on top of severe pain. That's a risk I'm not willing to take, so I will (and do) self defend regardless of age. Obviously, I'd tell them to stop a few times first, tell the parent etc. But ultimately I'm not willing to make my chronic pain any worse over a bratty child.
    Allinall wrote: »
    That's a contender for funniest post of the year.

I'm glad my illness is funny to you. It's certainly not funny to me.

You'd have a job proving a need for defence I'd say.

You could move, ask to be moved or speak to the parent/ flight attendants first?

• Advertisement

You'd have a job proving a need for defence I'd say.

You could move, ask to be moved or speak to the parent/ flight attendants first?

I would absolutely, this would be a last resort of course!

caniask86 wrote:
    I agree with you and as I've stated many times that I do everything possible to avoid meltdowns and make my son comfortable so that everyone can have a stress free flight. I'll I'm staying is that sometimes I might not be possible despite all the effort we put in and if my son kicks off one time out of a 100 I think I am entitled to fly and go all holidays. Other people would disagree and think we should stay in Ireland.

If the likelihood of your son kicking off is a 1 in 100 chance of happening then absolutely you're entitled to fly without undue planning or apologizing.
    But, if the likelihood of the child kicking off for an extended period is 99 in 100 then it's not unreasonable to suggest that flying should be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a reason God invented noise-cancelling headphones. If you're going on a long haul flight, invest in a pair you won't care how many kids are bawling.

If the likelihood of your son kicking off is a 1 in 100 chance of happening then absolutely you're entitled to fly without undue planning or apologizing.
    But, if the likelihood of the child kicking off for an extended period is 99 in 100 then it's not unreasonable to suggest that flying should be avoided.

Flying the only option to get some places tho. I've family abroad and there is no boat to get there.

Flying the only option to get some places tho. I've family abroad and there is no boat to get there.

Then it is unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On a flight back from Dubai i was in an exit seat across the aisle from what i gather were a couple of Kinahan/Hutch accolytes on the way back from a meeting, with their families.

After the fat kids were filled sufficiently with sugar based stimulants they began to get a bit feral and so they were putting wrestling and wailing on the open section of floor in front of me and beside the exit door. For 5 hours.

And do you know what I did about it? Not the slightest thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Sedatives for all kids Under 12 , theyre all headmelters on flights , especilly the spoilt ones so ubiquitous nowadays .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Sedatives for all kids Under 12 , theyre all headmelters on flights , especilly the spoilt ones so ubiquitous nowadays .

Where do you think all these under 12s will get sedatives? GPs are reluctant to hand them over to adults never mind children.

Where do you think all these under 12s will get sedatives? GPs are reluctant to hand them over to adults never mind children.

Lots of people are sedated when flying. Both my parents are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Two things that drive me mad on public transport, especially long-distance public transport such as flights;

One. The judgemental arseholes who sit there passive-aggressively tutting while some poor parent of a baby or very small child is clearly mortified and stressed to their eyeballs by the baby crying their eyes out.

Babies cry. Not their fault, nor the parents.
    Sometimes, if I'm sat beside an obviously stressed mother of a crying babby I find that they can be almost pathetically grateful for the slightest bit of support, ie my distracting the child or even just a smile to the mother to show that not everyone is pissed off.

Two. The kind of inconsiderate twat who is happy to let their children (who are old enough to know how to behave) act like spoiled brats, running riot and being a constant disturbance to other passengers. If you take children into a public place it's your responsibility to make them behave.

The common theme here is that it's always adults who are actually the problem.

Kids act like spoiled brats because they are let. It's not their fault. It's their parent's.
    Babies cry because they are babies. It's not their fault. It's not anybody's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement