Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

404 question

Options
  • 30-08-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Query about a journey to Oranmore tomorrow AM (be there at 8.45 and have a fair bit stuff to carry (no cycling :) ).

Bussing from the West side of town and see that there's a 404 bus at the 'terminus' of 'Westside SC' leaving at 7.40 which will get you there by 8.35, but couple of questions for anyone who knows the route:

Where is that terminus exactly? Do they mean the bus stop on the Currach Búi side of the pitch?

Do you have to pay 2 fares (as it's via Square) or do you just say Oranmore getting on?

Is this bus fairly on time leaving/arriving? Is it ever early?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sorry, information not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »

Where is that terminus exactly? Do they mean the bus stop on the Currach Búi side of the pitch?

Do you have to pay 2 fares (as it's via Square) or do you just say Oranmore getting on?

I believe thats the terminus.

One fare (1.61 on leap) should get you to the galway clinic.

I'm not sure how they handle fares after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sorry, information not found.

Yeah, that was my experience with a google too, hence asking for a seasoned 404er's experience! :P

I believe thats the terminus.

One fare (1.61 on leap) should get you to the galway clinic.

I'm not sure how they handle fares after that.

Ok thanks, I'll pass that on to the bag wielders!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Terminus for the 404 is opposite the Westside Shopping Centre. Currach Bú is the second last stop when the 404 is coming from Oranmore - the bus then turns left onto Seamus Quirke Road and then left again onto Bothar le Cheile.

• Advertisement

Thanks - a regular said it was unreliable :eek: if tight for time so taxi it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You just say Oranmore getting on, but the fare is ridiculous - literally double the price of a city ticket, even though from Westside to Galway Clinic is 2.20 for 80% of the journey.

You just say Oranmore getting on, but the fare is ridiculous - literally double the price of a city ticket, even though from Westside to Galway Clinic is 2.20 for 80% of the journey.

Thanks. I wonder what happens if you just tap the leap card? Does he/she take two fares out of the card?

There's an actual set cost for Oranmore, before it became the Westside-Oranmore bus, it was previously just a straight Eyre Square-Oranmore shuttle, but it's always been double the price of a city fare. I think at the moment it's something like €4.50 single and €6.80 return.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

LeapCard gives the impression you can use it to go from Newcastle-Oranmore for €1.61 https://about.leapcard.ie/galway

We need a definitive answer!

• Advertisement

I suppose if you just got on the bus at Newcastle-Eyre Square and just paid a fare/used leap without actually saying Oranmore you would get it for €1.61/€2.20.

But on the way back from Oranmore you definitely would have to pay the full fare as there's an actual set fare for the route.

etselbbuns wrote: »
    LeapCard gives the impression you can use it to go from Newcastle-Oranmore for €1.61 https://about.leapcard.ie/galway

We need a definitive answer!

No, it just says you save 24% compared to cash fares.

On the 404, whether you present a Leap card or cash, the driver asks where you are going. I've not tried it yet to see what they actually charge you, but I'd expect it to be less than the cash fare to Oranmore but still more than 1.61.

However you do get from Newcastle to the Galway Clinic for 1.61 Leap / 2.20 cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You could also purchase a 24hr Leap Red Zone ticket for €4.50. Oranmore is listed as a stop in the Red Zone.

No, it just says you save 24% compared to cash fares.

On the 404, whether you present a Leap card or cash, the driver asks where you are going. I've not tried it yet to see what they actually charge you, but I'd expect it to be less than the cash fare to Oranmore but still more than 1.61.

However you do get from Newcastle to the Galway Clinic for 1.61 Leap / 2.20 cash.

When I have gotten on before (a while ago but leap cards had started) they didn't ask me. But then again a while ago, some drivers hated using the leap machine and would often grumble and just wave people on (free trip - woo hoo!). They could have gotten their acts together!

When I have gotten on before (a while ago but leap cards had started) they didn't ask me. But then again a while ago, some drivers hated using the leap machine and would often grumble and just wave people on (free trip - woo hoo!). They could have gotten their acts together!

They only ask now because Oranmore is now part of the city 404 - previously it was a direct Eyre Square-Oranmore 409 shuttle so no matter what end you got on, the price was the same :)

J o e wrote: »
    You could also purchase a 24hr Leap Red Zone ticket for €4.50. Oranmore is listed as a stop in the Red Zone.

That is a fascinating link - the page there didn't list outer stops the last time I looked at it.

But I think they will say it's a mistake, and that the outer stop of the Red Zone is the Galway Clinic.

Page 22 of the latest fares determination (here) says that for 12+ "stages" on city commuter buses, the fares are 1.90 on Leap and 2.60 cash.

Of course it's messy, because different rules apply to regional commuter services (eg the 51 which also stops in Oranmore): far higher fares apply on them than on the city buses, even though it's essentially the same journey. (The city bus stops a few more times along the way.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That is a fascinating link - the page there didn't list outer stops the last time I looked at it.

But I think they will say it's a mistake, and that the outer stop of the Red Zone is the Galway Clinic.

Page 22 of the latest fares determination (here) says that for 12+ "stages" on city commuter buses, the fares are 1.90 on Leap and 2.60 cash.

The zones do not have to match up with the fare stages. Certainly in the Dublin region there are a number of examples where locations with higher single/return fares on the same route are included in the same zone. Ashbourne and Ratoath on the 103 route for example, Ratoath was always more expensive and it still is for cash fares and leap singles but it is in the same zone for day/weekly leap passes.

I don't know Galway well, do any of the listed outer stops above leave parts of the city routes outside the red zone? I would have thought that to do this should offer a second zone of day/week passes for those locations.

Advertisement