Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stepping down from line manager to ga

Options
  • 30-08-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

HI I have decided to step down from a line manager to a general assistant and as I am with the company 15 years my rate of pay should then be 15.00 per hour,however I have been told I will have to go down to 12 per hour as they no longer issue those contracts anymore. Can they do this

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Moved from Wexford forum

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yes they can. When your contract changed you had no entitlement, unless it was in writing, that you could go straight back to your previous terms and conditions. You are considered a new employee despite your experience and hence you have to be paid to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Baker1982 wrote: »
    HI I have decided to step down from a line manager to a general assistant and as I am with the company 15 years my rate of pay should then be 15.00 per hour,however I have been told I will have to go down to 12 per hour as they no longer issue those contracts anymore. Can they do this

We're do you work and how did you get the line managers position? I'm 23 and a team leader in retail looking for my first management role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Baker1982

I work in a well known supermarket. I would suggest you talk to your sm or pm and go on the options programme if you would like to become a line manager

Yes they can. When your contract changed you had no entitlement, unless it was in writing, that you could go straight back to your previous terms and conditions. You are considered a new employee despite your experience and hence you have to be paid to that level.

Thanks for your reply! I understand what you are saying, however there will be people working in the same role and department as me for less years than will be on more money then me know

• Advertisement

I work in a well known supermarket. I would suggest you talk to your sm or pm and go on the options programme if you would like to become a line manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Thanks for your reply! I understand what you are saying, however there will be people working in the same role and department as me for less years than will be on more money then me know

Be that as it may, they stated they no longer issue those contracts so you are treated as a new employee and fall under new contracts they offer.

It's unfortunate catch for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you have a union at your place of work, talk to them and get their input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, its sounds like you are resigning your position and taking another. If you are choosing to to this rather than being demoted by your employer, you will have to accept the pay offered for that position. If it isn't to your liking, then you will either have to stay in your current position or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

We're do you work and how did you get the line managers position? I'm 23 and a team leader in retail looking for my first management role.

'We're' does mean 'we are' you know..

Knowing things like that could assist you in your road to management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tedpan wrote: »
    'We're' does mean 'we are' you know..

Knowing things like that could assist you in your road to management.

That post make you look abnormal; knowing that could help you on you're (sic) road to humanment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you were pre 96, you won't get your service rate of pay as it's not ring fenced anymore. Once you moved you lost that.

But you should get the next rate after that, it should be about 13 euro by now. Can you apply for team leader?

Is it Pm that confirmed the rate of pay?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you were pre 96, you won't get your service rate of pay as it's not ring fenced anymore. Once you moved you lost that.

But you should get the next rate after that, it should be about 13 euro by now. Can you apply for team leader?

I started in 2003! Have been put on 12.71 per hour! Other employees who started the same year as me are on 15.31. I have been told by pm I am not entitled to 15.31 and will also loose my 5% share bonus

I started in 2003! Have been put on 12.71 per hour! Other employees who started the same year as me are on 15.31. I have been told by pm I am not entitled to 15.31 and will also loose my 5% share bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Unless it's in your contract, the employer doesn't have to give you the GA role.

Been said already, but you are essentially a new recruit to a general assistant role, and they only have to offer you the going rate for that role at the moment.

I don't see it mentioned, but can we ask why you are stepping down? Stress, hours, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You're resigning your position though so treated like a new employee. It's unfortunate but the company are within their rights, certain large retailers are doing everything in their power to get rid of the old contracts so when an opportunity like this arises then they aren't going to pass it up

Advertisement