Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creamy tomato sauce

Options
  • 30-08-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently had lunch in The Italian Connection restaurant and the dish I had had a delicious creamy tomato sauce, it was amazing and I would love to recreate something similar at home myself.

I'm looking for some recipes, tips, suggestions on recipes as I've never made a creamy tomato sauce myself that I was 100% happy with so I would greatly appreciate some help with this.

Thanks a mill for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ok, first off, I know that this is in no way authentic but -

I find if I want a sauce that's both creamy and tomato-y, the best way to accomplish it is by making a bechamel sauce first, and then adding some tomato puree into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Shenshen wrote: »

I find if I want a sauce that's both creamy and tomato-y, the best way to accomplish it is by making a bechamel sauce first, and then adding some tomato puree into it.
    This sounds like a great idea and one I would like to try.

Do you have a recipe for bechamel sauce?

This sounds like a great idea and one I would like to try.

Do you have a recipe for bechamel sauce?

I usually play it very much by ear - butter (or oil), flour, milk.
    But I think this one might work rather well. Season with a stock cube, and then add as much tomato puree as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Shenshen wrote:
    might work rather well. Season with a stock cube, and then add as much tomato puree as you like.

I feel that would be very salty, no?

If it was me, I'd make a tomato sauce as normal, add a dollop of cream and let it reduce a bit.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I feel that would be very salty, no?

If it was me, I'd make a tomato sauce as normal, add a dollop of cream and let it reduce a bit.

I have to admit, I like my salt. But you can always just add half of a cube or less.

I make both, depending on what I'm after. If I want a fresh tomato sauce to go on some pasta, I would make the tomato sauce and add the cream, as you say.
    But if I want to make a bake with creamy tomato sauce for example, I tend to go for the bechamel version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I add cream cheese just before serving. I whisk it with a small amount of hot stock first, to thin it a bit and make it runny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, I'd have thought if it was an Italian creamy tomato sauce it's more likely to be a normal tomato sauce (onions, garlic, tomatoes) with the addition of some soft cheese at the end, such as mascarpone.

Thank you all so much, some great info in this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Shenshen wrote: »

That's a super idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Zebra2016

I think stirring in some marscarpone cheese after reducing your tamato sauce is just amazing

Thanks a mill everyone. I will try them out and let you know how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Youtube is always a good source for recipes. This one looks easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Youtube is always a good source for recipes. This one looks easy enough.

<snip video graphic>

You're right of course, but sitting through tiresomely slow, uselessly padded, brand-building sh1te in real time does my head in. And the "music". At least with text recipes you can quickly and easily decide if there's any point in reading on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's four minutes of your life you will never get back again. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Saute onions, celery and a red bell pepper for 10-15 mins
    Add a lot of garlic and cook till you can smell it
    Add about a 1/2 cup white wine and cook out the alcohol
    Mix in your tins of good quality tomatoes and a large bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley
    cook for 30-40 mins
    Blitz with a boat motor to the required consistency
    Season with salt and pepper and add dry chilli flakes if you like some heat

Before serving stir in a few dollops of crème fraîche and heat through

Advertisement