Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job and annual leave entitlements.

Options
  • 30-08-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    Was wondering if anyone could help with this issue.
    I've just handed in my notice with my employer as I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks. I didn't realise my contract said I had to give 4 weeks notice I assumed it was 2 so I've arranged cover for the final 2 as I really cant do the 4 weeks with the new job starting.
    Swapping shifts and getting cover is pretty standard in my job and there is never an issue with it.
    My hr manager has just informed me if I dont do the full 4 weeks notice period then I won't be getting my accrued annual leave.
    Is this legal? I'm ok if it is but it just didn't sit right with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No its not. You are entitled to all outstanding wages and holiday pay even if you walk out with no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

You should get paid for any days you work, any Al you take as part of your notice and/or any Al not taken.

You won't get paid for notice not worked.

So for example if you have 12 days Al owed and you work two of for weeks notice you should get paid two weeks for what you worked, and 12 Al days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

toadfly wrote: »
    No its not. You are entitled to all outstanding wages and holiday pay even if you walk out with no notice.

This is only true of your statutory annual leave of 20 days , If a company gives more than the 20 they can take it away as a benefit for numerous reasons including use or lose it policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

you'd have built up around 12-13 annual days this year.
    Are they taking the AL days you have left and using them towards your notice, so therefore you'll still get 4 weeks more pay?

Advertisement