Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin V Mayo .. opinions on the final

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any sign of a match thread for the final?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo are generally the team people want to see win. Not so much for anti dub reasons - which we Dubs like to exaggerate! - but because they've not won it in so long and keep coming back.

Whole thing about the management heave and worse the leaks about trying to get players dropped has put some people off. I actually thought that would scuttle their chances this year but they seem to have mended their bridges.

Strangely enough I've found that people from counties that are not really competitive tend to like Dublin more than the average bear. I know a good few Fermanagh people who support Dubs as second team but that's possibly because of certain arrogant neighbours who like to rub their noses in it!

Have relations in Kilkenny and they and a good few of their friends support Dublin.

I suppose they recognise excellence :-)

You would think alright that a scenario of the tail wagging the dog, as the December 2016 Irish Independent piece about Holmes and Kennelly implied was the case, would scuttle their chances.

But it didn't, not in 2016 nor in 2017.

Do you know why ?

Because it's BS of the highest order.

Just like Bernard Flynn and his "amazement" about Aiden O Shea not doing the warm down in Mullingar is BS of the highest order.

Teams that are as fractured as the Independent article made them out to be don't do what Mayo have done over the past two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

You would think alright that a scenario of the tail wagging the dog, as the December 2016 Irish Independent piece about Holmes and Kennelly implied was the case, would scuttle their chances.

Do you know why ?

Just like Bernard Flynn and his "amazement" about Aiden O Shea not doing the warm down in Mullingar is BS of the highest order.

Teams that are as fractured as the Independent article made them out to be don't do what Mayo have done over the past two seasons.

Agreed, the amount of people that believe this nonsense because it was written in a paper is mind boggling. Because if the backroom set up in Mayo is such a shambles that they're now playing their fourth final in six years, I shudder to think what it must be like in other counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

17togo wrote: »
    I dunno about that, I'm not a dub, living and working in Dublin however. I think I'm actually gonna shout for them and It's surprising how many non dubs I know that are hoping Dublin win. I think it's the whole 'mayo4sam' slogan that's spotted everywhere from the superbowl to the world hopscotch championships (a slight exaggeration, I know). That article that was written about the players supposedly ousting the last management didn't help either!

I'm surprised in myself because I normally shout wholeheartedly against Dublin, but just can't seem to warm to Mayo.

No offence mayo people......

Well I, for one, am very upset by this.
    Better not let the Mayo team find out, they might throw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LENNY86

Mayo are generally the team people want to see win. Not so much for anti dub reasons - which we Dubs like to exaggerate! - but because they've not won it in so long and keep coming back.

Whole thing about the management heave and worse the leaks about trying to get players dropped has put some people off. I actually thought that would scuttle their chances this year but they seem to have mended their bridges.

Strangely enough I've found that people from counties that are not really competitive tend to like Dublin more than the average bear. I know a good few Fermanagh people who support Dubs as second team but that's possibly because of certain arrogant neighbours who like to rub their noses in it!

Have relations in Kilkenny and they and a good few of their friends support Dublin.

I suppose they recognise excellence :-)

Do you know why ?

Do you believe players haven't voiced their concerns regarding rochfords peculiar subs and positioning.

You better believe they have, Moran, O Shea, Parsons aren't men who will be sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

And ye My sheep, the sheep of My pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith Rochford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

PressRun wrote: »
    Well I, for one, am very upset by this.
    Better not let the Mayo team find out, they might throw in the towel.

Iam to sure there's no point us even Turing up now now cos if this one poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

LENNY86 wrote: »
    Do you believe players haven't voiced their concerns regarding rochfords peculiar subs and positioning.

The whole Holmes/ Connelly situation was a farce. I'd stand behind the players on that. It was the players that got the blame and dragged their names through the mud.

I would say players voice their concerns, but ultimately place their trust in the manager. The amount of games Mayo have had allowed them to play different players in various positions and see how it worked.

I think they finally got it right the last day.

The whole Holmes/ Connelly situation was a farce. I'd stand behind the players on that. It was the players that got the blame and dragged their names through the mud.

I would say players voice their concerns, but ultimately place their trust in the manager. The amount of games Mayo have had allowed them to play different players in various positions and see how it worked.

I think they finally got it right the last day.

I agree that you test players out in positions, the championship isn't the place for this. League yes, provincials yes. Champo ? Not in my opinion.

Can Instill a sense of disillusion in players or self confidence can suffer. A player doubting is he in the right position if county manager is testing elsewhere.

Can be huge ramifications if not done correctly. I'm not sure Stephen done it correctly but who am I but a faceless internet warrior

• Advertisement

I agree that you test players out in positions, the championship isn't the place for this. League yes, provincials yes. Champo ? Not in my opinion.

I don't think the changes were meant to be an experiment, it was a case of finding the best fit.

I dunno, I'm not in the dressing room, unfortunately. I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can Instill a sense of disillusion in players or self confidence can suffer. A player doubting is he in the right position if county manager is testing elsewhere.

Can be huge ramifications if not done correctly. I'm not sure Stephen done it correctly but who am I but a faceless internet warrior

What moves by Rochford have left this faceless internet warrior bemused in this years Championship?

The only real off the wall move was O'Shea at full back and that wasn't as off the wall as it seemed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have been in the hill for a mayo dublin final. Not one bit of hassle with the dublin fans. Congulated a few on the way out after they beat us. Even in town after they said if it wasn't dublin that mayo beat they would like nothing more than a mayo all Ireland win. The respect they have for each other is immense. They know the sacrifice that goes into 9 months of the year.

PARlance wrote: »

What moves by Rochford have left this faceless internet warrior bemused in this years Championship?

The only real off the wall move was O'Shea at full back and that wasn't as off the wall as it seemed.

Oh mother of Jesus another casual.

Boyle subbed after controlling the game against Roscommon.

Andy Moran religiously no matter how well he's playing check the figures you will be shocked.

Kev mcloughlin brought back as a sweeper against Galway (he was murdered 1-9 from play against them)

Clarke and hennelly cluster ****.

Stephen rochford is a liability. If you have me an evening I'd fill a whole Sunday game with his ridiculous calls

Amazing to see a manager described as a liability when he's been at the helm for two years and has brought them to two all Ireland finals. Such is the internet I suppose.

Amazing to see a manager described as a liability when he's been at the helm for two years and has brought them to two all Ireland finals. Such is the internet I suppose.

Do you disagree with the examples I pointed out were they correct decisions to make.

• Advertisement

Andy Moran religiously no matter how well he's playing check the figures you will be shocked.

Kev mcloughlin brought back as a sweeper against Galway (he was murdered 1-9 from play against them)

Apparently Boyle has a health condition that when he has 11km run he has to come off. Maybe its not 11km, but when he has his distance done he has to come off. Many people have questioned this since he's having the season of his life.

Andy is also playing well but when Rochford wants to bring in Conor Loftus Andy usually is the one to make way as he has less left in the tank.

I always feel nervous watching Kevin McLoughlin. One minute hes scoring a great point, the next hes kicking the ball in the oppositions hands. Great when hes on the money, can be awful at times.

And the famous Hennelly issue. This got so much attention because Mayo lost. If they had won, there wouldn't be a word said about it.

At the time word was Cillian strained his hamstring scoring the equaliser in the first game and Hennelly was brought in to take long range frees/45s.
    A gamble that undoubtedly didn't pay off.

Stephen rochford is a liability. If you have me an evening I'd fill a whole Sunday game with his ridiculous calls

Might want to check your definition of a casual.

Yes there have been some mistakes but on balance he has gotten a whole lot more right than wrong. 2 All Ireland finals in a row and a liability.... mother of Jesus, indeed.

Martina has given a fairly comprehensive reply to your post.

Will you be sticking around for a few more days?

Yes there have been some mistakes but on balance he has gotten a whole lot more right than wrong. 2 All Ireland finals in a row and a liability.... mother of Jesus, indeed.

I'd support Rochford 100%. He doesn't have an easy job.
    But I don't completely trust him yet. I know he won a club All Ireland, but that's just his CV.

Getting to 2 All Ireland finals is alright, but nothing less than Sam is good enough.

I'd support Rochford 100%. He doesn't have an easy job.
    But I don't completely trust him yet. I know he won a club All Ireland, but that's just his CV.

Getting to 2 All Ireland finals is alright, but nothing less than Sam is good enough.

If he can't put this poor Dublin team away....

If he can't put this poor Dublin team away....

Ha, it could be curtains for him.

Enter Kevin McStay.

• Advertisement

Ha, it could be curtains for him.

Enter Kevin McStay.

We should have snapped McStay up when he was a tactical genius... but he was busy preparing Roscommon for a 22 point defeat.

(Rochford had no part to play in that game obviously)

We should have snapped McStay up when he was a tactical genius... but he was busy preparing Roscommon for a 22 point defeat.

(Rochford had no part to play in that game obviously)

Kevin will have his shot at it I'm sure. I look forward to it.

Might want to check your definition of a casual.

Martina has given a fairly comprehensive reply to your post.

Will you be sticking around for a few more days?

Few more days? Check my registration date. Nearly a year here mate.

How is it a comprehensive reply it's her opinion your looking through rose tinted glasses.

Let's hope he didnt see something different to what the rest of us saw and stick O shea into the backs again.

Or it'll be a long journey home with runners up medals again, but sure your used to that now no doubt.

Few more days? Check my registration date. Nearly a year here mate.

How is it a comprehensive reply it's her opinion your looking through rose tinted glasses.

Let's hope he didnt see something different to what the rest of us saw and stick O shea into the backs again.

Or it'll be a long journey home with runners up medals again, but sure your used to that now no doubt.

Feb 2017 isn't a year and you've lost me at "mate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mayo will score 2 goals.pity they'll be in the opposite direction to where they should be;)

km79 wrote: »
    I think Dublin should be split into 4

:p

Too timid. I'd go the whole hog and split them up going by the old Dublin postcode system..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Too timid. I'd go the whole hog and split them up going by the old Dublin postcode system..........

You can imagine the bitter local rivalry between Dublin 6 and Dublin 6W.
    Vicious. (except they're soft southsiders)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that the less successful counties should be amalgamated together, give them more of a fighting chance. No point in punishing a team for being successful, after all.

And just think, combine Roscommon, Sligo and Mayo, and Andy Moran could finally play for his home county.......

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think that the less successful counties should be amalgamated together, give them more of a fighting chance. No point in punishing a team for being successful, after all.

Probably worth its own thread to see how counties could be merged to make the All-Ireland more competitive.

In Leinster, Dublin, Meath, Kildare and possibly Louth would have enough population to stand on their own. The Lake Country (Longford/Westmeath), Midlands (Laois/Offaly) and the Sunny South-East (Wexford/Wicklow/Carlow/Kilkenny) could make up the rest.

Munster could have Cork, Kerry, Shannonside (Limerick/Clare) and the Golden Vale? (Tipperary/Waterford).

Would stop all the whinging about Dublin being broken up so that Mayo could win an All-Ireland and bring some real competitiveness to the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

blanch152 wrote: »

Probably worth its own thread to see how counties could be merged to make the All-Ireland more competitive.

In Leinster, Dublin, Meath, Kildare and possibly Louth would have enough population to stand on their own. The Lake Country (Longford/Westmeath), Midlands (Laois/Offaly) and the Sunny South-East (Wexford/Wicklow/Carlow/Kilkenny) could make up the rest.

Munster could have Cork, Kerry, Shannonside (Limerick/Clare) and the Golden Vale? (Tipperary/Waterford).

Would stop all the whinging about Dublin being broken up so that Mayo could win an All-Ireland and bring some real competitiveness to the competition.
    I would assume most people are joking ?
    I know I was !
    Mayo will break Dublin up Sunday week themselves to win AI
    No help needed thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

km79 wrote: »
    I would assume most people are joking ?
    I know I was !
    Mayo will break Dublin up Sunday week themselves to win AI
    No help needed thanks ;)

Ah yeah, I don't want to start something controversial here, I was just joking in the opposite direction!

Neither are going to happen anyway, removing the county aspect either way would rip of the heart and soul of the GAA, at least at inter county level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Meath should be abolished due their inherent awfulness and split between westmeath and kildare

If there's any footballers in kilkenny they should be seconded to tipp and the rest of the sunny south east (waterford, carlow, wexford, wicklow) wrapped together in one team as they'll do f**k all alone. Call them County W

Leitrim and longford can be ignored as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Possibly less controversial. Realign the provinces to make four eights. Fermanagh, Westmeath and Longford into Connacht and so on. Works for the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Longford still gives me nightmares from 2010. I had to search for the score but that game will never be forgotten.
    Longford 1-12 Mayo 14

What about the Saffrons, who could they be dumped with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What about the Saffrons, who could they be dumped with.

Cliftonville. Probably improve them immeasurably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Would stop all the whinging about Dublin being broken up so that Mayo could win an All-Ireland and bring some real competitiveness to the competition.[/quote

Wicklow us a bigger population than Mayo! Why are they so bad!??
    Louth had a similar population to Mayo but are light years behind them.

Focusing on population just masks the real issue of. Ad county decelopment structures, poor support structures, and other issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

You could combine all the counties in one province together and then let the four provinces play each other. It would give the best players from each county a chance to perform on the biggest stage.
    They could call it something like, I dunno, the Railway Cup.
    I'd imagine it would be hugely supported by the ordinary GAA fan.

I think there is a need for the amalgamation of some counties though in all seriousness. Maybe a Leinster South, a Connacht North, an Ulster something else. They would join the championship after the original counties were defeated.

There is a massive imbalance between the likes of Carlow and Dublin and with rural decline and urbanisation its only going to get worse and the championship will become an even bigger farce year in year out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Fattes wrote: »

Would stop all the whinging about Dublin being broken up so that Mayo could win an All-Ireland and bring some real competitiveness to the competition.[/quote

Wicklow us a bigger population than Mayo! Why are they so bad!??
    Louth had a similar population to Mayo but are light years behind them.

Focusing on population just masks the real issue of. Ad county decelopment structures, poor support structures, and other issues.

A lot of it is to do with tradition.
    Dublin and Kerry have a great tradition. The likes of Mayo and Tyrone less so in terms of winning AIs, but they have great structures, great underage setups, lots of senior clubs and so on.

Its very hard to go from having no tradition to having an AI winning tradition, in either gaelic or hurling, regardless of population. You just have to look at the Dublin hurling team. Great pick of players, but very little tradition or pedigree in winning AIs. It can't just be improved overnight.

Turning a county into an AI winning one takes years and decades. The likes of Dublin, Kerry and Mayo will always have a headstart on the rest. Dublin have all the advantages when it comes to winning AIs. The big surprise is they haven't won more.

• Advertisement

Cliftonville. Probably improve them immeasurably!

No chance the reds are ****ed ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

And just think, combine Roscommon, Sligo and Mayo, and Andy Moran could finally play for his home county.......

I don't see any issue with amalgamation, if both parties were in favour of the idea and it didn't introduce imbalance then fair enough. It would actually be a good idea I believe.
    Westmeath-Longford and Leitrim-Sligo for example would be two possibilities, again if they were in favour. If they weren't then fair enough, that is their choice and it wont really affect anyone except themselves.

In a cold hard numbers game, Id imagine there is a critical mass required, population-wise, for a county to have a reasonable chance at being competitive. Similarly, there is no doubt, a critical mass on the upper level where a county would need to be below to remain competitive with the other teams competing against them, assuming they all have the same level of interest in the sport.. That is the issue people are now getting worried about and that is where Dublin come in. Every team has peaks and troughs, but Dublin now appear to be in a situation where their trough, is still higher than everyone elses peak. If they are in fact now operating on a different plane to everyone else, that isn't really good for the game, in fact it is quite bad. You are talking something like Celtic in the SPL. At some point we have to ask ourselves, is that what we want?

I actually think Dublin being changed into two teams will happen some day. I don't see any issue with some counties being amalgamated if they so wish either. Even those three small, pragmatic changes alone would make the competition noticeably better, and what is more, from a functional standpoint, they could actually be implemented in the morning.

Another point to consider is do Celtics SPL wins actually matter any more? Do they count for anything? Would Dublin's All Ireland wins in the future be viewed as something similar? There needs to be a long term view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:
    I would assume most people are joking ? I know I was ! Mayo will break Dublin up Sunday week themselves to win AI No help needed thanks

Good man yourself Kenny

I don't see any issue with amalgamation, if both parties were in favour of the idea and it didn't introduce imbalance then fair enough. It would actually be a good idea I believe.
    Westmeath-Longford and Leitrim-Sligo for example would be two possibilities, again if they were in favour. If they weren't then fair enough, that is their choice and it wont really affect anyone except themselves.

In a cold hard numbers game, Id imagine there is a critical mass required, population-wise, for a county to have a reasonable chance at being competitive. Similarly, there is no doubt, a critical mass on the upper level where a county would need to be below to remain competitive with the other teams competing against them, assuming they all have the same level of interest in the sport.. That is the issue people are now getting worried about and that is where Dublin come in. Every team has peaks and troughs, but Dublin now appear to be in a situation where their trough, is still higher than everyone elses peak. If they are in fact now operating on a different plane to everyone else, that isn't really good for the game, in fact it is quite bad. You are talking something like Celtic in the SPL. At some point we have to ask ourselves, is that what we want?

I actually think Dublin being changed into two teams will happen some day. I don't see any issue with some counties being amalgamated if they so wish either. Even those three small, pragmatic changes alone would make the competition noticeably better, and what is more, from a functional standpoint, they could actually be implemented in the morning.

Another point to consider is do Celtics SPL wins actually matter any more? Do they count for anything? Would Dublin's All Ireland wins in the future be viewed as something similar? There needs to be a long term view.

Why split Dublin if your talking about combining counties to make them competitive. Dublin has a larger pool and more resources being pumped in not just yearly but quarterly, county level set ups outside Dublin are a shambles. Lads drifting down late after work and that.
    Dublin set up is on a strikes policy and they eat together then train together. It needs to be matched to be bettered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0904/902245-referee-confirmed-for-all-ireland-football-final/

Joe Mcquillan man in middle.

Bad news for Mayo as h was in charge in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Why split Dublin if your talking about combining counties to make them competitive. Dublin has a larger pool and more resources being pumped in not just yearly but quarterly, county level set ups outside Dublin are a shambles. Lads drifting down late after work and that.
    Dublin set up is on a strikes policy and they eat together then train together. It needs to be matched to be bettered

Because we probably need to do both to get the thing at a reasonable level of competition. It is basically just assessing the counties on their merits and acting in a pragmatic, logical way. Crazy I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0904/902245-referee-confirmed-for-all-ireland-football-final/

Joe Mcquillan man in middle.

Bad news for Mayo as h was in charge in 2013

Why? I thought he did a decent job in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

seligehgit wrote: »
    Why? I thought he did a decent job in 2013.

Oh not that he did bad job, more bad omen. Tongue in cheek comment:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Fattes wrote: »

A lot of it is to do with tradition.
    Dublin and Kerry have a great tradition. The likes of Mayo and Tyrone less so in terms of winning AIs, but they have great structures, great underage setups, lots of senior clubs and so on.

Its very hard to go from having no tradition to having an AI winning tradition, in either gaelic or hurling, regardless of population. You just have to look at the Dublin hurling team. Great pick of players, but very little tradition or pedigree in winning AIs. It can't just be improved overnight.

That's the point, merging population centres is not the solution. Proper structures, and support is. Kilkenny can manage with a small, population, so there is no reason other counties can not, do it maybe not with the same success but it is possible with small counties.

As for Dublin Hurling Con o Callaghan, was one of our best young prospects but never made it. I think he is playing something called football now with some success 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dublin Joe going for his very own 3 in a row..........he ain't a bad ref to be fair but it's could be perceived as not being a neutral appointment seen as he lives and works in Dublin as well as having reffed some challenge games for them.........
    However the main ref left outside of the 2 competing provinces is Conor Lane
    So I'll take Dublin Joe thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is it true he reffed in house games

• Advertisement
Advertisement