Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin V Mayo .. opinions on the final

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Joe McQuillan's appointment is unethical and he should have no involvement in any Dublin match or influence over a game where Dublin are likely to play the winners of it. The GAA would want to examine their own rules and code of conduct because they are breaking every rule of fair play by appointing Joe McQuillan as the referee, he lives and works in Dublin. He has been single-handedly responsible for Dublin winning the All-Ireland in 2011 and 2013 and in 2012 he done everything in his powers including playing over and above the injury time to try allow Dublin to equalise the match.

He has a conflict of interest and should not be involved in any match involving Dublin, he has also refereed Dublin team training sessions and would be familiar with this Dublin team. In any sport no official so closely related to a competing team in a fixture like this would be tolerated. It is totally unethical in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Doltanian wrote: »
    Joe McQuillan's appointment is unethical and he should have no involvement in any Dublin match or influence over a game where Dublin are likely to play the winners of it. The GAA would want to examine their own rules and code of conduct because they are breaking every rule of fair play by appointing Joe McQuillan as the referee, he lives and works in Dublin. He has been single-handedly responsible for Dublin winning the All-Ireland in 2011 and 2013 and in 2012 he done everything in his powers including playing over and above the injury time to try allow Dublin to equalise the match.

He has a conflict of interest and should not be involved in any match involving Dublin, he has also refereed Dublin team training sessions and would be familiar with this Dublin team. In any sport no official so closely related to a competing team in a fixture like this would be tolerated. It is totally unethical in my opinion.

He also reffed Dublins only defeat to Donegal in 2014

Who do u want ? Conor lane was out of his depth last year, paddy neilan had a poor league final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gas.

Who was in the middle when Mayo beat us in 2012 and when Donegal beat us in 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

Joe McQuillan lives and works in Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The Mayo players living and working in Dublin should not be allowed play in the final. They are actually part of a secret Dublin espionage plan to steal the 2017 All Ireland away from Mayo and will secrtely wear blue g strings.

As part of this dastardly plan all ballboys for the All Ireland final have been secretly programmed with a special edition Baile Atha Chliath chip to ensure they hand special "Dublin" balls to Dublin players. O'Neills are part off this subterfuge also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

O great, an anti-mayo ref just been announced,

don't worry mayo you will be back next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No prob with the ref.

No prob with the ref.

oh please, this is going to go down to a very controversial refs decision, it's written in stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

My mate works in a bookies and told me Joe McQuillan walked in earlier with a bag full of cash and put it all on Dublin to win.

Make of that what you will..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

LOL.
    And there was I thinking it was all those €000,000s which were responsible for Dublin winning those games.

And all along it was Joe!

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    My mate works in a bookies and told me Joe McQuillan walked in earlier with a bag full of cash and put it all on Dublin to win.

printing money

mezzz wrote: »
    oh please, this is going to go down to a very controversial refs decision, it's written in stone

I hope Connolly's involved.

And scores the free.

Donal55 wrote: »
    I hope Connolly's involved.

And scores the free.

that's not funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Doltanian wrote:

Doltanian wrote:

Pure Sh1te

Fact 1.."Dublin Joe" lives in Cavan

Fact 2 "Dublin Joe" works in cavan

Fact 3 "Dublin Joe " is a nice lad that happens to referee Gaa matches in his spare time

Fact 4 "Dublin Joe" has not received one single all Ireland medal which is a travesty of justice considering he single handledly won the all Ireland in 2011 and 2013..

#justiceforjoe

Spare me the BS please ...Whoever is good enough will win the all Ireland

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Pure Sh1te

Fact 1.."Dublin Joe" lives in Cavan

Fact 2 "Dublin Joe" works in cavan

Fact 3 "Dublin Joe " is a nice lad that happens to referee Gaa matches in his spare time

Fact 4 "Dublin Joe" has not received one single all Ireland medal which is a travesty of justice considering he single handledly won the all Ireland in 2011 and 2013..

#justiceforjoe

Spare me the BS please ...Whoever is good enough will win the all Ireland

Wouldn't worry too much. Just some Mayo fans getting their excuses in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Donal55 wrote:

In fairness they have plenty of practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Donal55 wrote: »

Yer doing the Mayo lads a disservice there .. that rant came from the south west

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yer doing the Mayo lads a disservice there .. that rant came from the south west

Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

what a load of bullcrap about McQuillan.

He let Mayo kill the game through fake injuries and delayed subbings in 2012 when Dublin were over-running them towards the end.

And all because Horan had made false claims about him reffing Dublin training games. Not challenge games, but internal games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mickmurray69

I'm not going to get into a debate about ref. All I'll ask is that he will be consistent. For Mayo to win we need to make Dublin play on our terms. Mayo must get a good start and get our tactics right and if we can score more goals (not own goals) than Dublin Sam will be heading out of the capital . Best of luck to both teams .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bonniedog wrote: »

He let Mayo kill the game through fake injuries and delayed subbings in 2012 when Dublin were over-running them towards the end.

And all because Horan had made false claims about him reffing Dublin training games. Not challenge games, but internal games.

1. What players faked an injury? Anyone who went down, was subsequently substituted. Bit extreme for a guy faking injury to go as far as being subbed wouldnt you say?! Method play-acting?
    2. Over-running, for about 15 minutes. If I hear about brogan's missed goal chance again I will gag, Jason Doherty, Michael Conroy and COC all missed goal chances in the same game. In fact doherty's chance was even better than brogans.
    3. He did ref their in-house games. Gilroy brought him in in 2011 to do it. I believe he also wanted him to go through what was fair tackling and what wasn't. Pat McEneaney came out with a carefully worded statement the following season stating that McQuillan had 100% not reffed dublin in house games 'this year'. :rolleyes: About as subtle as a kick in the ar*e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And that's why he's Dublin Joe.

Cavan Joe wouldn't carry a bag full of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

mezzz wrote: »

Hes the best out of who was available to ref, so I'm not sure where the problem is.

We need to score more than Dublin to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    Cavan Joe wouldn't carry a bag full of cash.

This is great, you'll have a bag of excuses ready to go now PARlance!!

I think Croke Park doesn't suit Parsons perm BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Split Dublin in two ( did we ever say that about Kerry, or Kilkenny in hurling?)

Combine small counties

Handicap Tiger Woods

No club outwith the big 4 will ever win the EPL again (until Leicester did)

Handicap Celtic

Or how about we recognise that sometimes a club hits a golden patch & wins a lot, but life - and sport - being what it is, it won't last forever.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    This is great, you'll have a bag of excuses ready to go now PARlance!!

I think Croke Park doesn't suit Parsons perm BTW.

We've so many excuses, you could split them in two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bonniedog wrote: »

Horan was dead right to put it out there
    Cute enough
    Glad to see Rochford got the memo too
    He has been far too diplomatic at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I've no problem with the ref. I didn't think he did too bad in 2013.

The ref shouldn't even be a factor. This is just people stirring notions and having a pre-planned excuse.

As long as it's not Cormac Reilly I don't care. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

A big question is how Mayo will manage the 22 days between the replay and the final. Obviously they will get a chance to get the soft tissue injuries that were mounting up right, but will the momentum they had from playing so regularly be killed by the long break? Dublin peaked for their semi final last year and should have been beaten in the drawn final. They seem to be managing their run better this year but only time will tell.

A misfiring Kerry team scored 2-31 in the two games against Mayo. You would have to expect Dublin to reach at least 22 or 23 points in the final and its hard to see Mayo getting more than that, unless they score 2 goals or more.

big b wrote: »
    Split Dublin in two ( did we ever say that about Kerry, or Kilkenny in hurling?)
    Combine small counties
    Handicap Tiger Woods
    No club outwith the big 4 will ever win the EPL again (until Leicester did)
    Handicap Celtic
    Or how about we recognise that sometimes a club hits a golden patch & wins a lot, but life - and sport - being what it is, it won't last forever.

Funny you mention golf. Amateur golfers do indeed carry a handicap. GAA is also amateur.

As for Leicester City. Just to clarify, you are giving an example of one non-money driven side winning something in 25 attempts... And this is supposed to support your argument? :P

So celtic have hit a golden patch and it wont last forever? So everyone just sits and waits for the spl to right itself then, while interest in it drop further and further off the face off the earth, right? Because that is the best thing for everyone involved. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    A misfiring Kerry team scored 2-31 in the two games against Mayo. You would have to expect Dublin to reach at least 22 or 23 points in the final and its hard to see Mayo getting more than that, unless they score 2 goals or more.

The same misfiring Kerry team, minus O'Donoghue and Donaghy, beat Dublin in the league final, rattling over 20 points in the process...

I've no problem with the ref. I didn't think he did too bad in 2013.

The ref shouldn't even be a factor. This is just people stirring notions and having a pre-planned excuse.

As long as it's not Cormac Reilly I don't care. :pac:

He isn't the worst ref out there. However, an issue Id have with 2013 was Dublin carried out a ridiculous amount of fouls in the game, yet f-all cards were handed out to them.
    Again in the 2015 semi final, cooper and McMahon were let off the hook with straight red card offences in the drawn game. He needs to just call the rules and don't be worrying about who he is punishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

The same misfiring Kerry team, minus O'Donoghue and Donaghy, beat Dublin in the league final, rattling over 20 points in the process...

Well if we're using the league as a barometer can the 12 point defeat of Mayo by Dublin be included too?

A big question is how Mayo will manage the 22 days between the replay and the final. Obviously they will get a chance to get the soft tissue injuries that were mounting up right, but will the momentum they had from playing so regularly be killed by the long break? Dublin peaked for their semi final last year and should have been beaten in the drawn final. They seem to be managing their run better this year but only time will tell.

The result will write those stories I suppose.

From a Mayo perspective, the 3 weeks is welcome. If it was played last weekend, we would have had 3 key players injured, they're just getting back this week so the break will help. I don't think anyone can be concerned about it, if they are, it could have been worse and 4 weeks.

Re Kerry misfiring and 23 points to win:
    Dublin scored less in the final(s) than Kerry did this year, 3-24... both sets of matches had similar conditions. Dublin scored 23 against Tyrone and I would expect that Mayo will be able to restrict them to less. 2-9 & 1-15 was enough to draw and win the replay last year.

A final should be a tighter affair. The bookies have it at 36.5 points. 19 or so points should win it assuming it's a tight match. A couple of goals are needed from Mayo, we didn't get enough last year at all. A little more hopeful this year but we haven't came up against a defence anywhere near Dublin's standard.

squrm wrote: »
    Well if we're using the league as a barometer can the 12 point defeat of Mayo by Dublin be included too?

It can yes.
    But then it is widely-known that mayo only look to maintain their D1 status in the league, due to the requirements on the squad for training etc.

squrm wrote: »

It felt worse than 12 points tbh.

Only thing you can say about that from a Mayo perspective is that there were about 4 or 5 players playing that most knew wouldn't feature come the championship. Tactics were all wrong too iirc, no sweeper or semi sweeper. And we had the likes of Keegan rushed back in to corner back to plug holes.

It was a hammering but not a result many will read into imo. A league Final is going to offer more insight but it is what it is at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

PARlance wrote: »
    The result will write those stories I suppose.

From a Mayo perspective, the 3 weeks is welcome. If it was played last weekend, we would have had 3 key players injured, they're just getting back this week so the break will help. I don't think anyone can be concerned about it, if they are, it could have been worse and 4 weeks.

Re Kerry misfiring and 23 points to win:
    Dublin scored less in the final(s) than Kerry did this year, 3-24... both sets of matches had similar conditions. Dublin scored 23 against Tyrone and I would expect that Mayo will be able to restrict them to less. 2-9 & 1-15 was enough to draw and win the replay last year.

A final should be a tighter affair. The bookies have it at 36.5 points. 19 or so points should win it assuming it's a tight match. A couple of goals are needed from Mayo, we didn't get enough last year at all. A little more hopeful this year but we haven't came up against a defence anywhere near Dublin's standard.

Good point about finals being a tighter affair. In their last 3 final appearances, Dublin have got 12, 11 and 16 scores so my reckoning that they will probably hit 22 or 23 point total could well be wide of the mark.

Good point about finals being a tighter affair. In their last 3 final appearances, Dublin have got 12, 11 and 16 scores so my reckoning that they will probably hit 22 or 23 point total could well be wide of the mark.

The weather will be a big factor too. But given Dublin's complete dominance and fine shooting against Tyrone "only" resulting in 2-17, I do think the bookies have it about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

He isn't the worst ref out there. However, an issue Id have with 2013 was Dublin carried out a ridiculous amount of fouls in the game, yet f-all cards were handed out to them.
    Again in the 2015 semi final, cooper and McMahon were let off the hook with straight red card offences in the drawn game. He needs to just call the rules and don't be worrying about who he is punishing.

And don't forget Cillian O'Connor elbow on Rory O'Carroll in that game and McQuillan failure to issue black card to Lee Keegan in Diarmuid Connolly red card incident :)

Gael85 wrote: »
    And don't forget Cillian O'Connor elbow on Rory O'Carroll in that game and McQuillan failure to issue black card to Lee Keegan in Diarmuid Connolly red card incident :)

You see, if you had just said 'when O'Connor threw his arm out when O'Carroll was grabbing onto him', instead of 'elbow' Id take you seriously.. I accept that was a yellow card incident, but it was no more.
    As for keegan, that isn't a black card. It is a headlock, or 'chokehold' when someone does it to Connolly. When Connolly does it himself it is deemed a headlock again... Sad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Time to unfollow this thread for a while.

Time to unfollow this thread for a while.

Indeed.
    Those passive aggressive back-seat modders can be a pain to listen to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

You see, if you had just said 'when O'Connor threw his arm out when O'Carroll was grabbing onto him', instead of 'elbow' Id take you seriously.. I accept that was a yellow card incident, but it was no more.
    As for keegan, that isn't a black card. It is a headlock, or 'chokehold' when someone does it to Connolly. When Connolly does it himself it is deemed a headlock again... Sad stuff.

The Keegan incident started when he pulled Connolly in a headlock to the ground. Connolly retaliated when a couple digs and rightly sent off. Keegan should have got black. O'Connor threw a couple digs too in that incident. Could got line for third man in. O'Connor should got the line for O'Carroll incident but like last 3/4 years gets away with the sly elbows.

Gael85 wrote: »
    The Keegan incident started he pulled Connolly in a headlock to the ground. Connolly retaliated when a couple digs and rightly sent off. Keegan should have got black. O'Connor threw a couple digs too in that incident. Could got line for third man in. O'Connor should got the line for O'Carroll incident but like last 3/4 years gets away with the sly elbows.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/watch-fan-footage-perfectly-captures-diarmuid-connolly-and-lee-keegans-bust-up-37889

Obvious that isn't what happened. Keegan is guilty of cutting off his run but after that the two of them are at it until Connolly throws punches. Yellow and red - exactly what they both got. As for 'third man in', if that was applied across the entire game that day there would have been nobody left on the field.
    Ive already addressed the other point.

Anyway, the cooper stamp and McMahon head-butt - you were saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Obvious that isn't what happened. Keegan is guilty of cutting off his run but after that the two of them are at it until Connolly throws punches. Yellow and red - exactly what they both got. As for 'third man in', if that was applied across the entire game that day there would have been nobody left on the field.
    Ive already addressed the other point.

Anyway, the cooper stamp and McMahon head-butt - you were saying?

Ah lads will ye quit. Lets look to the game at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

On thread bickering always seems to revolve around the same poster in this forum:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Thought myself mc quiallan gave colm Boyle a soft penalty for Mayo in 2015 draw

Ah lads will ye quit. Lets look to the game at hand.

More than happy to. Ive no interest in that stuff. The conversation was on mcquillan and I referenced how he could have been better in previous meetings, which to my mind is relevant, and Im happy to keep things relevant.
    However, nobody should have to suffer hearing biased propaganda about chokeholds and phantom elbows either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Barlett wrote: »
    Agreed...Aidan O'Shea to score four goals in the first ten minutes from full back :D:D

Own goals again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More than happy to. Ive no interest in that stuff. The conversation was on mcquillan and I referenced how he could have been better in previous meetings, which to my mind is relevant, and Im happy to keep things relevant.
    However, nobody should have to suffer hearing biased propaganda about chokeholds and phantom elbows either.

Biased propaganda is bad all right. What's worse is inconsistent biased propaganda when the league matters one minute and is dismissed the next.

Advertisement