Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin V Mayo .. opinions on the final

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Bigger question will be how Clarke handles his kickouts .. he has a floated kickout that hangs too long and he can't kick it long distances by inter county standards, he'll have a lot more problems to face than Cluxton

Well Kerry couldn't get to grips with them this year, and they caused cluxton to go into meltdown-mode last year.

Of course Dublin will get some joy on his kickout, but then mayo will do the same on cluxtons' kickout. That happens in most games. I mean it would be very unusual for any keeper not to have a few kickouts intercepted in a game, no more than a free taker might miss a free or two. People seem to zero in on Clarke's for the same reason that people zero in on AOS flitting in and out of games but not Diarmuid Connolly for doing same - the winners generally take the plaudits.
    Did Kerry not tear his kick outs apart in the first game, it was the only reason they stayed in the game, they got a good few scores from turning his kick outs over.  Fine shot stopper but poor off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

kilns wrote: »
    On paper Dublin should blow Mayo away but it doesnt always work out like that

I don't think that's true at all. If you look at Mayo 'on paper', you'd have to say there's quality players all over the team. Fair enough, until Mayo win an All-Ireland then they will never be talked about in the same regard as Dublin are but there's no denying that we're as good as anyone on the day.

On paper Dublin should blow Mayo away but it doesnt always work out like that

I don't think that's true at all. If you look at Mayo 'on paper', you'd have to say there's quality players all over the team. Fair enough, until Mayo win an All-Ireland then they will never be talked about in the same regard as Dublin are but there's no denying that we're as good as anyone on the day.
    On paper, who man for man from Mayo would get into the Dublin team?  On current form not even Keegan, Andy Moran possibly cant think of many more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

On paper, who man for man from Mayo would get into the Dublin team?  On current form not even Keegan, Andy Moran possibly cant think of many more

I don't think any Mayo lads would want to get into the Dublin team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Did Kerry not tear his kick outs apart in the first game, it was the only reason they stayed in the game, they got a good few scores from turning his kick outs over. Fine shot stopper but poor off the tee

They won some long ones and he kicked one over the sideline. Considering they have the best midfielder in the country in David Moran, and it was a horrible day, I wouldn't consider that tearing anything apart to be honest.

It was a black card, Keegan took that risk and paid the price

It wasn't. It was a yellow card. He pulled him back but he didn't pull him to ground. Connolly went to ground himself after the pull back had taken place. If you think it was you don't know the rules of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It was never a black card.

It was a black card, Keegan took that risk and paid the price

It wasn't. It was a yellow card. He pulled him back but he didn't pull him to ground. Connolly went to ground himself after the pull back had taken place. If you think it was you don't know the rules of the game.
    There you go, some people will say it is some wont, just like you would defend Cillian OConnor's elbow to the face while others would say it was a red.  These calls even themselves out over the course of a match or a year.  Sometimes its a bitter pill to swallow when you lose but its not the reason you lose

Officials get plenty of calls wrong, like a Cillian OConnor elbow to a face
    You can argue for and against calls all day long and despite what some say referees dont have some hidden agendas, they try to the best they can and neutrally as they can and mostly do a great job. Blaming a referee for a teams short comings is just an excuse to cover bigger issues up

I know they can, that was the point I was making. e.g. the cooper stamp, the McMahon headbutt and the Flynn penalty that was outside the box...

As for hidden agendas, that would be too extreme, but I think some refs have a certain view on teams and it tends to affect their judgements on that team. For example, I would consider Deegan as one that would always seems to have mayo coming down the wrong side of 50-50s for my money. It is just too consistent to be a coincidence. I get the impression he just doesn't really rate mayo, and refs with that in mind. They arent all like that though, I think Gough and Lane are good refs who just call what is in front of them and don't really care who is playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Did Kerry not tear his kick outs apart in the first game, it was the only reason they stayed in the game, they got a good few scores from turning his kick outs over.  Fine shot stopper but poor off the tee

Clarke gets a lot of stick over his kickouts and they were one of the things I thought we needed to really improve upon at the start of the year. I think he has certainly done so.

But what the Kerry games proved to me was that a Keeper can be made to look poor, good or great depending on what's happening in front of him by both his teammates and opposition. Mayo were very static in front of him the first day. They worked on a move that was highlighted in TSG that saw lots more safe options open up for him.
    Added to that, Kerry employed a sweeper in the replay which took away from their press.

Cluxton is an excellent kicker of the ball, there's absolutely no taking away from that. But he is often playing against an opposition that retreats and has brilliant movement ahead of him by his teammates. Even someone like himself struggles when options are cut off effectively.

There you go, some people will say it is some wont, just like you would defend Cillian OConnor's elbow to the face while others would say it was a red. These calls even themselves out over the course of a match or a year. Sometimes its a bitter pill to swallow when you lose but its not the reason you lose

Well Im just going off the definition of the rule and by that definition it was a yellow, not a black. It is fairly open and shut. Some people will say anything they like, it doesn't mean they are right, or should be listened to. That is why I stick to the rules and the status quo of that rule.

As for O'Connor, his elbow never touched O'Carroll. A flailing arm did. Again, the status quo for that type of infraction is a yellow.

Officials get plenty of calls wrong, like a Cillian OConnor elbow to a face
    You can argue for and against calls all day long and despite what some say referees dont have some hidden agendas, they try to the best they can and neutrally as they can and mostly do a great job.  Blaming a referee for a teams short comings is just an excuse to cover bigger issues up

I know they can, that was the point I was making. e.g. the cooper stamp, the McMahon headbutt and the Flynn penalty that was outside the box...

As for hidden agendas, that would be too extreme, but I think some refs have a certain view on teams and it tends to affect their judgements on that team. For example, I would consider Deegan as one that would always seems to have mayo coming down the wrong side of 50-50s for my money. It is just too consistent to be a coincidence. I get the impression he just doesn't really rate mayo, and refs with that in mind. They arent all like that though, I think Gough and Lane are good refs who just call what is in front of them and don't really care who is playing.
    Yes and for every Dublin incident, there is an OConnor dive for a free or to get someone blackcarded, an OConnor elbow or an OShea dive for a penalty.  As I said swings and roundabouts

There you go, some people will say it is some wont, just like you would defend Cillian OConnor's elbow to the face while others would say it was a red.  These calls even themselves out over the course of a match or a year.  Sometimes its a bitter pill to swallow when you lose but its not the reason you lose

Well Im just going off the definition of the rule and by that definition it was a yellow, not a black. It is fairly open and shut. Some people will say anything they like, it doesn't mean they are right, or should be listened to. That is why I stick to the rules and the status quo of that rule.

As for O'Connor, his elbow never touched O'Carroll. A flailing arm did. Again, the status quo for that type of infraction is a yellow.
    It was a striking action from OConnor with intent so by definition "going by the rules" it was a red.  These things can be argued all day long and at the end of the day, whats important is what the referee thinks.  So no point dwelling in the past whats done is done, if Mayo go into this game thinking "Dublin Joe" is not going to them any favours and everything will be given to Dublin, they are already beaten

Yes and for every Dublin incident, there is an OConnor dive for a free or to get someone blackcarded, an OConnor elbow or an OShea dive for a penalty.  As I said swings and roundabouts

Well no there isnt to be honest about it. They are just vague references to nothing in particular while the things i mentioned all happened in the specific game we are talking about.
    I get that you just want to have a comeback or whatever so knock yourself out. Im more interested in the actual details of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Yes, there may be. But that's not the point in question. The issue is that per the rules of the games, Lee Keegan shouldn't have received a black card for the challenge on Lee Keegan. But you insisted that it should be. The GAA rule book outlines the couple of incidences that the black card was introduced for. Could you quote which of them applies to the Keegan/Connolly incident. Just because Cillian O'Connor takes the head of Rory O'Carroll does not warrant an eye for an eye type situation, and for Keegan to get the black. I think O'Connor should have received red as well. I don't see how it could be deemed to be anything else other than striking.

• Advertisement

It was a striking action from OConnor with intent so by definition "going by the rules" it was a red.  These things can be argued all day long and at the end of the day, whats important is what the referee thinks.  So no point dwelling in the past whats done is done, if Mayo go into this game thinking "Dublin Joe" is not going to them any favours and everything will be given to Dublin, they are already beaten

That isnt a striking action and is not viewed as such in gaa in general. It is viewed as dangerous play. That is the reality. Argue all you like, it doesnt change the reality. If the same thing happens next week and it is barrett or whoever who takes the wallop, it is still the same in my book, because that is how those incidents are viewed.

As for dublin joe, id be hoping 30 odd fouls results in a few cards this time out. Repeated fouling is supposed to do that after all...

I am sorry but why whenever Mayo lose is it never their fault and the fact they were not good enough
    Bad referring has never cost Mayo one All Ireland

I am sorry but why whenever Mayo lose is it never their fault and the fact they were not good enough
    Bad referring has never cost Mayo one All Ireland

I am sorry but you obviously haven't perused the contributions of the regular Mayo posters on the GAA forum since time eternity if you've come to that conclusion.

We've always put our hands up when we have not been good enough.Nothing to do with outside factors.But deep down I believe you know that but just wish to use this incorrect thought process to beat Mayo supporters with.

The vast majority of Mayo supporters are well aware we haven't ultimately been good enough,of course there's a minority that will look for excuses.

I shouldnt tar all Mayo supporters with one brush but there are a certain few who maintain that people like Dublin Joe and Maurice Deegan are part of a big conspiracy against Mayo, its tiring
    Mayo are a great side I love their fight and never say die attitude, if only other teams had that same spirit they too would be up there competing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Don't forget Deegan bottled black carding Donal Vaughan for foul at the end in drawn kerry game. If carded Vaughan would have missed replay. Who setup Mayo first goal and played a big part in keeping Donaghy quiet? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I shouldnt tar all Mayo supporters with one brush but there are a certain few who maintain that people like Dublin Joe and Maurice Deegan are part of a big conspiracy against Mayo, its tiring
    Mayo are a great side I love their fight and never say die attitude, if only other teams had that same spirit they too would be up there competing

I genuinely don't think there is anyone in Mayo who blames a ref, or media, or whatever else for the fact that Mayo have not won the holy grail for many a decade. These are the type of things that are analysed after games. The what-ifs and the if-onlys. It's more a form a regret, rather then an outright blame on specific factors. We all know that Mayo have got so close in recent years, but they were just not good enough to will the All-Irelands - defenders mistakes against Donegal, lack of cutting edge forward play for some years, poor mgt decisions when we had Dublin on the ropes when some of their players were hobbling for the last few minutes of a game.

I genuinely don't think there is anyone in Mayo who blames a ref, or media, or whatever else for the fact that Mayo have not won the holy grail for many a decade. These are the type of things that are analysed after games. The what-ifs and the if-onlys. It's more a form a regret, rather then an outright blame on specific factors. We all know that Mayo have got so close in recent years, but they were just not good enough to will the All-Irelands - defenders mistakes against Donegal, lack of cutting edge forward play for some years, poor mgt decisions when we had Dublin on the ropes when some of their players were hobbling for the last few minutes of a game.

Great summation my friend,there is always going to be REGRETS and analysis of the minutaie when one has gone so close but failed to acquire the cigar.

Mayo people have long winters to ruminate about these failures.

I am not sure if the market leaders in gaelic football,Kerry and Dublin folk could possibly understand the mindset of those who have been starved of All Ireland success for so long.

You guys are spoiled.:)

Gael85 wrote: »
    Don't forget Deegan bottled black carding Donal Vaughan for foul at the end in drawn kerry game. If carded Vaughan would have missed replay. Who setup Mayo first goal and played a big part in keeping Donaghy quiet? :)

Bottled? Why such extreme terms? He didn't give him a black card, and he should have, but he didn't seem to be giving any black cards at all on the day, so highlighting one incident isn't telling the full story.

On the game itself he gave Kerry three soft frees in a row in front of the posts, when mayo were getting ahead in the first half. That is the sort of thing Im talking about, it is like he is thinking, Mayo shouldn't be beating Kerry, they will definitely come back here, and then reffing with that narrative going on in his head. I can give you more examples of it too. We tend not to get the calls with him. Willie Joe on the mayo gaa blog, a fair-minded guy, states the same thing.

Gael85 wrote: »

Bottled? Why such extreme terms? He didn't give him a black card, and he should have, but he didn't seem to be giving any black cards at all on the day, so highlighting one incident isn't telling the full story.

On the game itself he gave Kerry three soft frees in a row in front of the posts, when mayo were getting ahead in the first half. That is the sort of thing Im talking about, it is like he is thinking, Mayo shouldn't be beating Kerry, they will definitely come back here, and then reffing with that narrative going on in his head. I can give you more examples of it too. We tend not to get the calls with him. Willie Joe on the mayo gaa blog, a fair-minded guy, states the same thing.
    Ah would you stop.

I shouldnt tar all Mayo supporters with one brush but there are a certain few who maintain that people like Dublin Joe and Maurice Deegan are part of a big conspiracy against Mayo, its tiring

Not a big conspiracy at all. One guy expressing a view on one ref who tends to side give 50-50 calls the other way more often than not.

Re Dublin Joe, look reffing a v b games and then gifting ye an all Ireland in 2011 is the reason behind that. The name stuck. If it was the other way around Im sure ye would have called him, and would still be calling him far worse than that. Personally, if he had done the same for us, Id be happy enough to call him mayo joe myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great summation my friend,there is always going to be REGRETS and analysis of the minutaie when one has gone so close but failed to acquire the cigar.

Mayo people have long winters to ruminate about these failures.

I am not sure if the market leaders in gaelic football,Kerry and Dublin folk could possibly understand the mindset of those who have been starved of All Ireland success for so long.

You guys are spoiled.:)

That may be true of Kerry, but not Dublin.

Dublin went through similar phase of excruciating defeats, including outright hammerings, over 16 years. Dublin were just second rate for a good few years after 1995, but every year between 2000 and 2010 ended in gut wrenching failure. So there is no corporate complacency!

Much the same as Cody recalls every one of the Cats exits during the relative famines between 1983 and 1992, and between 1993 and 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Personally I haven't had a problem with any ref in the last three years. If you are good enough you will win end of story. The only time I felt we were hard done by was the Kerry replay in 2014.

I shouldnt tar all Mayo supporters with one brush but there are a certain few who maintain that people like Dublin Joe and Maurice Deegan are part of a big conspiracy against Mayo, its tiring

Not a big conspiracy at all. One guy expressing a view on one ref who tends to side give 50-50 calls the other way more often than not.

Re Dublin Joe, look reffing a v b games and then gifting ye an all Ireland in 2011 is the reason behind that. The name stuck. If it was the other way around Im sure ye would have called him, and would still be calling him far worse than that. Personally, if he had done the same for us, Id be happy enough to call him mayo joe myself!
    You will need a new tin foil hat come the end of September I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Did he get paid for reffing the A vs B games?

It doesn't look good on the face of it, and refs shouldn't be doing those kinds of things. At best you get friendly with players and management. At worst its a conflict of interest if he was paid (even expenses) which I hope he wasn't.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I am sorry but you obviously haven't perused the contributions of the regular Mayo posters on the GAA forum since time eternity if you've come to that conclusion.

We've always put our hands up when we have not been good enough.Nothing to do with outside factors.But deep down I believe you know that but just wish to use this incorrect thought process to beat Mayo supporters with.

The vast majority of Mayo supporters are well aware we haven't ultimately been good enough,of course there's a minority that will look for excuses.

Agreed. And I don't think we are good enough this year either and will come up short.

Having said that, if the referee makes a mistake or a series of mistakes or shows bias to one side or the other he should be called out on it.

We are all hoping for a good clean fight game of football where no side receives favouritism from the ref.

• Advertisement

Might get ruined in the celebrations alright..

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That may be true of Kerry, but not Dublin.

Dublin went through similar phase of excruciating defeats, including outright hammerings, over 16 years. Dublin were just second rate for a good few years after 1995, but every year between 2000 and 2010 ended in gut wrenching failure. So there is no corporate complacency!

Much the same as Cody recalls every one of the Cats exits during the relative famines between 1983 and 1992, and between 1993 and 2000.

Fair enough but famines are all relative.Eight years without an All Ireland in Kerry is a crisis,try telling that to my brethren who have an on going 66 year wait.

Might get ruined in the celebrations alright..
    I hope for your sake thats the case but cant see it in all honesty

Did he get paid for reffing the A vs B games?

It doesn't look good on the face of it, and refs shouldn't be doing those kinds of things. At best you get friendly with players and management. At worst its a conflict of interest if he was paid (even expenses) which I hope he wasn't.

Well Id imagine he would - it would be the least that could be done for him. It wouldn't bother me if he got a fair payment for doing it or whatever, it is more an issue that the Dublin guys would be much more used to him than the Kerry lads would.. Maybe K McManaman knew he would let him go for a load of steps because of what happened in said games. Maybe he also knew if you run into a guy and go to ground you will get a free out of him. Maybe the Kerry lads have learned things also had they had the same opportunity. That imbalance in familiarity is why it is an issue.

Well going off some of your previous observations on gaa, I'd take that as a positive!

Well going off some of your previous observations on gaa, I'd take that as a positive!
    Coming from a conspiracy theorist :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

it is more an issue that the Dublin guys would be much more used to him than the Kerry lads would.. Maybe K McManaman knew he would let him go for a load of steps because of what happened in said games. Maybe he also knew if you run into a guy and go to ground you will get a free out of him. Maybe the Kerry lads have learned things also had they had the same opportunity. That imbalance in familiarity is why it is an issue.

Is there a club in the country that has never got a referee to come into a training session and talk to the players? To explain a few of the rules and the sorts of things that they should be watching out for? It happens everywhere, at all levels and it means next to nothing. It certainly doesn't mean the referees are any more or less impartial.

Gombeens might think it will influence the ref, that he will now favour that club because he was there having a chat and a laugh and he's best mates with them now. And thats a load of rubbish, especially when you are talking about refs that will be doing their jobs in front of 80000 people and the eyes of the country.

Is there a club in the country that has never got a referee to come into a training session and talk to the players? To explain a few of the rules and the sorts of things that they should be watching out for? It happens everywhere, at all levels and it means next to nothing. It certainly doesn't mean the referees are any more or less impartial.

Gombeens might think it will influence the ref, that he will now favour that club because he was there having a chat and a laugh and he's best mates with them now. And thats a load of rubbish, especially when you are talking about refs that will be doing their jobs in front of 80000 people and the eyes of the country.

I already outlined why it was unfair. It had nothing to do with the ref being impartial. Any player will know, certain refs have certain quirks and styles. Getting one to ref several in house games and give his opinions on tackling etc is like a workshop on that particular ref. It is definitely an advantage to a player over another guy who hasnt had this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

Terrible childish whinging on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well Kerry couldn't get to grips with them this year,

https://aib.ie/gaa/blog/2017/08/kerry_v_mayo_thein

In the first game they won 36% of Mayo's kick-outs while Mayo only won 21% of Kerry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

He reffed 1 training game ever. Talk about getting the excuses in early, if anything hes been more favourable to Mayo. Maybe have a look at the free count from recent meetings.

I genuinely don't think there is anyone in Mayo who blames a ref, ........ for the fact that Mayo have not won the holy grail for many a decade. .

Really? Are you sure that there is nobody in Mayo who blames a referee?

As for dublin joe, id be hoping 30 odd fouls results in a few cards this time out. Repeated fouling is supposed to do that after all...

As for hidden agendas, that would be too extreme, but I think some refs have a certain view on teams and it tends to affect their judgements on that team. For example, I would consider Deegan as one that would always seems to have mayo coming down the wrong side of 50-50s for my money. It is just too consistent to be a coincidence. I get the impression he just doesn't really rate mayo, and refs with that in mind.

I suppose I will have to take your word that there is nobody in Mayo who blames the ref.

Well Id imagine he would - it would be the least that could be done for him. It wouldn't bother me if he got a fair payment for doing it or whatever, it is more an issue that the Dublin guys would be much more used to him than the Kerry lads would.. Maybe K McManaman knew he would let him go for a load of steps because of what happened in said games. Maybe he also knew if you run into a guy and go to ground you will get a free out of him. Maybe the Kerry lads have learned things also had they had the same opportunity. That imbalance in familiarity is why it is an issue.

First you imagine he referees a vs b games, then you imagine he gets paid. You know, you might eventually might be able to imagine Mayo winning an All-Ireland!

Do you ever think that you might be slandering certain referees? It is fair game to say about a referee that he made a mistake here or a mistake there - all of us make mistakes.

It is another level of accusation as you do, to suggest certain referees have a consistent bias in favour of one team or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Horan definitely psyched "Kiltimagh Joe" in 2012.

All he was short of was calling time outs for Mayo to have a cup of tea and a sandwiche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I already outlined why it was unfair. It had nothing to do with the ref being impartial. Any player will know, certain refs have certain quirks and styles. Getting one to ref several in house games and give his opinions on tackling etc is like a workshop on that particular ref. It is definitely an advantage to a player over another guy who hasnt had this opportunity.

So they got an intercounty ref to come in for a training match.

Two questions then, what is stopping every other county doing the exact same thing? And what was the backup plan if a different ref had been picked for the final?

Here, I'll save you the time and just answer the first question for you. There is nothing stopping any other county asking a ref to come to a training session, and it happens in other counties every goddamn season.

Don't bother with the 2nd question either, I don't want to listen to tinfoil hat rubbish about a fix when it comes to ref selection. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Some supporters of every county blame the ref when they lose. Stand beside a Dublin supporter in Croke Park if the ref isn't being generous to them and you will get an earful.

Lets hope the ref is fair and balanced, and may the better team win in a fair and sporting contest.

And lets hope AOS is protected for a change.

Some supporters of every county blame the ref when they lose. Stand beside a Dublin supporter in Croke Park if the ref isn't being generous to them and you will get an earful.

Lets hope the ref is fair and balanced, and may the better team win in a fair and sporting contest.

Blaming a referee during a game or in the immediate aftermath of a game is a consequence of emotions running high. That is normal and you often see the referee blamed in U-12 games as well!!! Referees are well aware of this and they do make mistakes like the rest of us.

A much different thing is a type of posting we have seen here where particular referees are accused of consistent bias in a particular way based on flimsy evidence. Not only is it silly and untrue but it is both unfair to and libellous of the referees concerned.

I would be more concerned about a ref protecting the OConnor brothers instead, they do seem to spend alot of time on the ground:angel:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I would be more concerned about a ref protecting the OConnor brothers instead, they do seem to spend alot of time on the ground:angel:

Jeebus will you take the lemon out of your mouth! At this stage your going to spontaneously combust with hate for Mayo players and fans! :D:D:D:D

blanch152 wrote: »
    Blaming a referee during a game or in the immediate aftermath of a game is a consequence of emotions running high. That is normal and you often see the referee blamed in U-12 games as well!!! Referees are well aware of this and they do make mistakes like the rest of us.

A much different thing is a type of posting we have seen here where particular referees are accused of consistent bias in a particular way based on flimsy evidence. Not only is it silly and untrue but it is both unfair to and libellous of the referees concerned.

I think you are over-reacting. The "Dublin Joe" thing is a bit of a joke. No-one takes it seriously, no more than anyone takes the Mayo Curse seriously.

You need a bit of banter and craic in the build up to games like this. Some people take things too seriously. Relax, have the craic, enjoy the game. Unless the ref has a disaster ala Cormac Reilly in Limerick 2014, no-one is seriously going to blame the ref. If it helps, I don't think Mayo will win, ref on their side or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement