Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lufthansa Technic Shannon Training??? Career help.

• 30-08-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I'm writing here cause I really need some info related to becoming and aircraft mechanic or engineer. I'm 18y/o and currently finished what you can call A-Levels. I am not from the Uk or Europe either. Now, that's just a bit about myself. What I really want to know is how do I go about becoming an aircraft mechanic or engineer. I looked at various schools in the UK and came down to Air service training in Scotland. However, they seem to be really expensive in tuition. They also don't offer the Category A license course, only the B1. So I did more research and discovered Ireland as another choice. I did some research and saw that there is this place called Lufthansa Technik Shannon which was previously Shannon Aerospace. 
    Now my question is, Has anyone here trained or been to Lufthansa Technik Shannon? If so, do they offer the Part66 basic training course? Reason I am asking here is because there isn't much information on their website and the facebook page doesn't seem legit. Also, if they're doing training, is it for the Category A or B license? 
    Any information for this place would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be an Aircraft engineer or mechanic. It doesn't matter if it's the A or B license.... On another note, I saw this guy who reviewed their facebook page and it looks like he is a trainee there from Bangladesh so I am also gonna message him. 
    Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm probably not much help but I trained there and worked 92-95.

There was a two year certificate in aircraft maintenance that gave you a technician's grade.

Then you had to do your Gen Fams and type ratings for each plane family. I did 737 and DC-9/MD-80, but mostly worked on DC-9s. You could study yourself then for your basic engineering qualification after one year's experience at technician grade. That allowed you to certify other's work too, and you worked your way up from there.

I'm sure it's all changed since then, but it is generally regarded as a place with a good reputation having been set up by Swiss Air and Lufthansa. Technicians there, including myself, sometimes went to Germany to work for Lufthansa.

I know a good few of my class mates and others went on to other airlines and maintenance facilities, so it was very much seen as a feeder company for the industry.

Hopefully someone who has been there more recently will be along to tell you more.

And good luck with it. Though I left the industry shortly after, I loved the time I spent there and the skills I acquired and the people I met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

My cousin trained there and he's fairly high up with Ryanair now in Stanstead, another guy i know travels all over Europe sub contracting turning passenger aircraft into Freighters. When i went for Aer lingus a few years back the guy interviewing me trained there. Anyone i ever came in contact with that trained there done well for themselves.

Is it just Lufthansa thats serviced there now? Ive been away the past 9 years so i dont know whats going on there these days.

Advertisement