Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my running training for 10k

• 30-08-2017 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get comments on how to improve my 10k training plan..

Background.

I am 33 yo male, 76kg and 1.87m. I am not in a running club and use the internet for running advice which is not ideal as there is a bit of contradiction. MY PB for 10k is 36:43. I am aiming to get a sub 35 min 10k which is a major goal. My current plan is below and would be grateful to hear what the running gurus think of it.

Sunday: Go to track. 8 x 400m sprints with 200m recovery. Try to hold the lap time at 1:15s

Monday: Recovery run at slow pace. 9-11k

Tuesday: Tempo run. do a warm up and then hit the treadmill. Try to run for 30 mins at 17km/h... Tho have not achieved this yet. yesterday ran for 22.30s before having to lower it. This followed by 20 min cool down.

Wednesday: recovery run of 11k

Thursday : 11k hill run at a hard pace.

Friday: Long run of 20k at a moderate pace ( usually have heavy legs stillfrom Thursday).

Saturday: rest

Planning on getting weight down to 70kg as I hear this will help with times? even tho I will look terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Join a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

For the duration of a training plan, you should pick one source and stick to it. Mixing in bits of Pfitziger and bits of Daniels and bits of an article on Runners World is not ideal, because a training plan is a combination of different sessions that provide a range of stimuli, and they will build up through the plan.

You can keep reading and learning, find other plans to follow next time, or get to the point where you know enough to put everything together yourself, but for the 10 weeks or 18 weeks of a particular plan, stick with it.

Or join a club. As well as having club sessions planned for you by experienced runners, you get people to train with, feedback on your running, support in races, questions answered...

Advertisement