Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden full of spiders and webs, how to get rid of..

Options
  • 30-08-2017 6:03pm

My garden has an awful lot of spiders and nests and webs, covering plants , trees etc.

I have never had this problem ( to this extent, anyway) in any other garden.

Question is, how to get rid of them. I have a small dog, so need something that won't harm him

I have heard that conkers around a windowsill will keep them out of the house, not so sure if that would work in the garden.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its spider season, they will go into hiding soon. But why get rid of them, they are busily eating all manner of insects that would be more of a problem to you. I love to see dew or frost on a cobweb in the autumn, they are really amazing structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'll not win, no point in trying.

They are doing no harm, let them be. It's called nature.

You could get a bird to eat the spiders, then a cat to eat the bird, and, well, you already have a dog, so...

There just seems to be way more than is normal.
    They have taken over my apple tree completely. So Now I wont even pick the apples.

I dont wish the spiders any harm, and I do appreciate thats nature. :)

I'll try to be more tolerant of spiders :o

looksee wrote: »
    Its spider season, they will go into hiding soon. But why get rid of them, they are busily eating all manner of insects that would be more of a problem to you. I love to see dew or frost on a cobweb in the autumn, they are really amazing structures.

Oh they are indeed. I was watching one earlier. A beautiful web, with a spider in it, and a wingless fly. Later on, a wasp landed on web, and the spider raced over to get it, but the wasp got away.

I felt like David Attenbourough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jake1 wrote: »
    There just seems to be way more than is normal.
    They have taken over my apple tree completely. So Now I wont even pick the apples.

I dont wish the spiders any harm, and I do appreciate thats nature. :)

I'll try to be more tolerant of spiders :o

Time to man (or woman) up. They'll do you no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Possibly there are more than normal, we get occasional overloads of insects - do you remember the ladybirds of a few years ago? Anyway a long stick and gently sweep around the places where you want to pick apples will get rid of them for a while, without killing the spiders.

Of course the spiders may be cross enough about their webs that they lie in wait for you as you reach for apples... :D

looksee wrote: »
    Possibly there are more than normal, we get occasional overloads of insects - do you remember the ladybirds of a few years ago? Anyway a long stick and gently sweep around the places where you want to pick apples will get rid of them for a while, without killing the spiders.

Of course the spiders may be cross enough about their webs that they lie in wait for you as you reach for apples... :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hate you

:D

Advertisement