Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britannia (2018 -- Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 30-08-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

Britannia (2018 -- Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

IMDb Link!
    Britannia is a drama set in 43AD as the Roman Imperial Army - determined and terrified in equal measure - returns to crush the Celtic heart of Britannia - a mysterious land ruled by warrior women and powerful druids who can channel the powerful forces of the underworld. Or so they say.

Starring David Morrissey

Sky Atlantic Drops Trailer & Images For Epic New Drama ‘Britannia’, Coming In 2018.

Set in 43AD, the drama follows the Roman army as they return to crush the Celtic heart of Britannia, a mysterious land led by warrior women and powerful Druids who claim to channel the powerful forces of the underworld. Like never before, the nine-part series tells the story of the emotional and physical power struggle between three tribes: the Druids, Celts and Romans, who battle for the heart of Britannia.

Written by multi-award-winning Jez Butterworth (‘Spectre’), the drama stars Mackenzie Crook (‘Pirates of the Caribbean’) as Veran, the leader of the Druids, Kelly Reilly (‘True Detective’) as fearless Celtic princess Kerra, David Morrissey (‘The Walking Dead’) as the head of the invading Roman army, Aulus, Nikolaj Lie Kaas (‘The Killing’) as rogue Druid Divis, and Zoë Wanamaker (‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’) as Celtic Queen Antedia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sky Atlantic’s epic brand new drama Britannia will arrive in January the broadcaster has announced. Not only that, all episodes will be available from Thursday, 18th January 2018 on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know whether it'll be there first thing in the morning or when?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Anyone know whether it'll be there first thing in the morning or when?

It's available now

Not expecting much. Sky are usually rubbish but I'll give it a go

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's available now

Yep, I'm downloading episode 1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's available now

The trailers don't look all that wonderful, so not expecting all that much myself. Will watch for feedback on the thread to see what the general consensus is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Will watch it, but fear it'll be as poor as some of Sky's other own offerings (e.g. Riviera). So I will pull the plug if it isn't doing the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,580 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Will watch it, but fear it'll be as poor as some of Sky's other own offerings (e.g. Riviera). So I will pull the plug if it isn't doing the business.
    I think this looks worth a try, RE Riviera even Neil Jordan disowned it
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/considerably-upset-neil-jordan-disowns-riviera-tv-drama-1.3133925

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hopefully it's better then Jamestown....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tin Star and Fortitude were also disapointing. Fortitude was good but with the cast it had, the setting etc. it should have been much better.

I'll watch the first episode of Britania but I'm not expecting much

hopefully it's better then Jamestown....

That's the other one I was thinking of. I gave up half way through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jamestown was OK but it was a lot more soapy than it should've been....I think once you get around that, it starts being entertaining enough. I feel the same about Britannia, but at least this time I'll be going in with far more tailored expectations.

Watched the first episode and I'm done. Terrible stuff. Shaky blurry cam, hammy acting, weird voodoo nonsense. No idea what they were thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

We Enjoyed Jamestown.

Britannia is terrible. Knew it was gonna be when they used Hurdy Gurdy Man as their opening Theme. It’s like every part is miscasted, the acting is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, it was very poor. Awful opening credits that feel like they belong to a different series altogether. Questionable casting choices, terrible acting (which, in fairness, was probably due in large part to the dismal writing). And the whole thing looked like it was shot through a particularly brash Instagram filter. I have no idea why they felt the need to saturate the colour palette to that extent.

Can't see myself bothering with another episode.

Special mention to Kerry Reilly's wig, though. Practically deserves a credit of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I really liked Jamestown, looking forward to season 2.

This on the other hand was piss poor, I'll watch the second episode to see if it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

Like Tin Star, really well shot and looks the part but it's all over the place. Acting isn't the worst but that horrible bokeh blur that's in every other shot is really annoying.

I'll give it another episode or 2 purely because Kelly Reilly is absolutely stunning and Sky costs a bloody fortune, have to get some value from it!

Oh and Kelly Reilly is gorgeous. Did I mention that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

beardo81 wrote: »
    Like Tin Star, really well shot and looks the part but it's all over the place. Acting isn't the worst but that horrible bokeh blur that's in every other shot is really annoying.

I'll give it another episode or 2 purely because Kelly Reilly is absolutely stunning and Sky costs a bloody fortune, have to get some value from it!

Oh and Kelly Reilly is gorgeous. Did I mention that yet?

Thought she was great in the underrated True Detective season 2.

Don't know why everyone hated that? It was very enjoyable. Kelly, Vince Vaughan, and Colon Farrell were great in it.

I guess it was so different from season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Asus X540L wrote: »

Don't know why everyone hated that? It was very enjoyable. Kelly, Vince Vaughan, and Colon Farrell were great in it.

No it was definitely awful.

"Never do anything out of Hunger, not even eating"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭beardo81

I thought it wasn't the worst in hindsight, season 1 was just so good it was compared directly and suffered for it. Compared to Tin Star it was a masterpiece!!
    Kelly Reilly just plays the smoky eyed seductress so well that it's captivating...

I found the Romans speaking like they were the home fans at a West Ham match totally jarring. The opening credits and music were also totally bizarre. And the mad druid guy with the girl seems like a very obvious ploy to capture the Hound/Arya dynamic from Game of Thrones.

But David Morrisey was very good and I think it could actually have been worse. Faint praise, I know, but enough to give the second episode a go.

• Advertisement

I found the Romans speaking like they were the home fans at a West Ham match totally jarring. The opening credits and music were also totally bizarre. And the mad druid guy with the girl seems like a very obvious ploy to capture the Hound/Arya dynamic from Game of Thrones.

Fully agreed there. It reminded me of a film I watched based in Germany for world war 2 and the Germans sounded like the cast of Eastenders

I found the Romans speaking like they were the home fans at a West Ham match totally jarring.

I remember someone on a BBC arts programme using this exact comparison for the trolls in The Hobbit.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Season 2 was terrible with probably the worst writing ever and possibly the worst season finale ever.
    Watched the 1st 2 episodes of Brittania now, at least there's a fair bit of violence and the conflict between the 2 British tribes is ok and I don't mind the historic inaccuracies, I was never expecting that much so will give it another few episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 60,540 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damm that is hard to watch.

Downloaded them all onto the Sky box but struggled to finish the first two terrible acting terrible use of language this is all coming from Jez Butterworth who is a really good playwright who has written one of the best plays on the West End at the moment with The Ferryman.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Tried to get through a few episodes; very hard going.......

Even taking a light-hearted approach to viewing doesn't help; it's just woeful in every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I struggled to watch a few episodes. The music does not find the show and they just throw in a random swear word every so often. I just gave up on even attempting to finish the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Has anyone watched all of it - how does it end? Tied up OK or hanging off a cliff for a S2 that'll likely now not happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Colon Farrell

:pac:

Has anyone watched all of it - how does it end?

Please use spoiler tag if fulfilling this request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Halfway through the series and its decent so far nothing new or special

Advertisement