Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - Killarney 16th Sep 12.00 (Captains Prize)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Ah guys, just wanted say big kudos to whichever of you it was who took a dump in the pool before Seve got in. He's up the top of the leaderboard with only 4scoring games so far. Right that you can't be letting him get too comfortable!

Some people will do anything to win GOTY! #endjustifiesthemeans!

Luckily Adare was nice and quiet this morning. See you all later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ah guys, just wanted say big kudos to whichever of you it was who took a dump in the pool before Seve got in. He's up the top of the leaderboard with only 4scoring games so far. Right that you can't be letting him get too comfortable!

Wait till he sees the "present" i left in the bottom of his golf bag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Enjoy lads. should be a great day and night.

Thanks rickis.

I'm watching the updates on golf net of Ballykisteen's Cashman Cup All Ireland semi-final while waiting to hit Killeen. We've had a good start, 3.5 to 0.5 at the moment against Ballina

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Great day out yesterday to wrap up another great year with the society. Huge thanks to ballyk for all the hard work he put in this year and I think he had the perfect mix of courses and with Killarney to finish, he bows out on a definite high note.

Fantastic course, not overly difficult tee to green but crikey they are tough greens!! Not a flat spot on any of them. Pins on slopes meant no easy putts. Then again, as I kept reminding myself, this is a championship course which has hosted the Irish Open, it's meant to be tough!!

Didn't play my best yesterday and putting let me down big time l, but still, I enjoyed it and the crack with ssbob and a post punt immensely, even the 7 hours of driving was worth it.

See ye all again at the jug and looking forward to next year already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Late for my tee time, scratched the first two holes, think it as the 11th hole before any one of us had a par....... but we still had a great time out on the course - highlight for me was watching Charlie curse and blind his way down the 14th hole!!!

What a course, pity the golf didn't live up to it! Big thanks to Doublecross for winning yesterday - meant I got nearest the pin!!!

Congrats to BallyK on an awesome year - looking forward to next year already! Should be fun to play 8 outings in the Rebel County!!!

I can hardly believe that we've reached the end of our regular season events already but I think we went out on a high with our trip to the Kingdom. Most of the group hadn't played Killeen before so it was interesting to get their thoughts on the course. Personally I thought the course was a fine test of golf and an ideal venue for deciding the destination for the Captains Prize and Golfer of the Year.

I was out with two of the leaders in the Golfer of the Year standings in Alanm and Macker1 and we had an enjoyable day out. Both of the lads battled well despite not quite being at 100%. I started very poorly with 2 scratches but managed to turn things round with a birdie on 17 helping me finish with 20 points on the back 9 after a poor 13 on the front 9.

The final results from the day were as follows:
    1st doublecross 36 points
    2nd tigerwood1 35 points
    3rd ballyk 33 points
    4th benny79 33 points
    5th Break80 28 points
    Nearest the Pin: ssbob
    Longest Drive: Roadrunner
    2s rollover winners: Doublecross and tigerwood1

Golfer of the Year was very close with Tigerwood1 pipping SeveOB for the award.
    Final standings are here: http://www.mygolfsociety.ie/boards_golf_society.xhtml?page=society.details.4256.golfer_of_the_year

Congrats to all the prizewinners and well done to Doublecross for a great score on a tricky course. Thanks to all the staff at Killarney for hosting us and to the catering staff for the food afterwards. Thanks in particular to SeveOB for booking the hotel. Suffice to say that a great night out was had in Killarney!

I also want to express my gratitude to the guys at Mygolfsociety for all their help during the year in booking the outings etc.

Roll on 21st of October for the Ryder Jug against the dastardly REPS and hopefully we can retain the trophy down in Mount Juliet! Best of luck to next year's Captain a post punk who will do a super job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great stuff Tiger - delighted for him, as he has always been a fantastic supporter of the society.

Best of luck Post Punk - I'd say I'll make it to an outing in Cork as lots of friends there (aka free accommodation).

Enjoy the Jug lads - very experienced team there.

ssbob wrote: »
    - highlight for me was watching Charlie curse and blind his way down the 14th hole!!!

Crikey was I that bad? Was getting a bit frustrated trying to putt on a lot of the greens.

Then finding that same rough which divides the 13th and 14th was a bit annoying - especially when you hit nearly the same spot from both tee boxes!! Head was fried after what I though was a peach on an approach to the 13th only to bounce 90 degrees right and into the bunker (a replica of the 12th only water instead). Tried the sensible shot to get the ball back on the fairway and got it about 10 foot - still in the rough!! Two more poor shots and first blank of the day.
    Apologies if I let the frustration get the better of me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

What could of been! I really felt I lost this one didn't play half as good as I do normally was pulling most my drives (my driving is normally my strong point) and even though I know what causes this and how to correct it (a simple fix) my brain just wouldn't cooperate!! So frustrating...

Had the pleasure of playing with Doublecross and Spacecoyote, 2 fine golfers and was picking their brain all the way around.. Space just had a bad day but he can shape the ball well and you can see his quality.. Doublecross well put on a masterclass nearly all his second shots were within 6/8 feet of the pin. It was like his ball was a magnet to the flag and most were from the rough or in some cases other tee boxes :D Me & Space were 50 yards ahead of him and on the fairway on some holes and still couldn't get closer :eek: My chipping was still shocking as usual!! but with a 4th place finish on a countback my best finish of the year, petty its ending now :D

Congrats to both doublecross and Tiger!

Also a big thank you to Ballyk for a truly enjoyable year!

A great night was had afterwards and great to have a drink with lads you play golf with most of the year from the 4 corners of this beautiful Emerald Isle.. Roll on next year! May rent a house in the rebel county :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

3 years and 4 runners up, nice to finally get the win :) KIllarney is a course that I've played well on before, shot my best ever round there last year so I was quietly confident heading into Saturday.

Unfortunately I developed a slice with the driver the day before when playing Dromoland with space and tiger. Couldn't get rid of it which caused me to spray the ball all over the course off the tee, lucky enough my iron play was on song. My ball striking has been at its best the last few weeks and it continued on Saturday. I wont bore you with details of the round but the par 5 7th is a good example of how my day went. Trying to stop the slice I hit a dangerous hook left into the trees, found the ball and punched it up the fairway, then hit a wedge into 2 feet. Approach play got me out of trouble all day.

Had the pleasure of playing with space and benny. Played with space in dromoland on Friday and he played very well but it wasn't happening for him on Saturday for some reason. Benny played very well, I think he holed every put inside 10 feet but the chipping cost him. Fix the chipping and he'll drop 5 shots easily.
    Congrats Tiger. Tiger played some terrible golf on the front 9 on Friday but flipped it around on the back 9. Sounds like he continued that form into Saturday and took a fortune in side bets as well.

Well done to ballyk on a great year, appreciate all the hard work that you and the lads put in, it doesn't go unnoticed. Roll on the jug.

Looking at the whatsapp messages on Saturday night I was regretting that I didn't joint ye.... then I met one of ye (not naming names) asleep on a park bench the next day when going for a walk with my daughter.. Better you than me :)

Best of luck to Post Punk next year, looking forward to every outing being in Munster next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What a great weekend. It's a fair aul trip down to Killarney so I was glad I headed down Friday afternoon. Hotel was next door to the golf course so I checked out the practice facilities for a while, then chilled out in the Jacuzzi and sauna before scouting out the town in advance of the masses arriving on Saturday and found a damn tasty T-Bone steak offering in Porterhouse, ahead of a couple of pints, chatting with some locals and foreigners and bed by 1ish.

Saturday started having breakfast with epic views the Castlerosse golf course and Lough Leane. What a setting. Hit a few balls at the range. I wasn't hitting them great, either on Friday or Saturday. It was going to be a new and tricky experience for me, playing of 10 for the first time ever, having been at 13/14 for years, it makes a big difference. The Tiger lived up to his name at the range, he just stood there and watched most of the time, waiting to pounce!

Over to the course and it really is an awesome setting. I'm not sure it's the best in the country, but it certainly has the best setting and most amazing views. The first few holes are not as tricky as they might appear to be, but you have to play clever. I did, 3 iron off the tee, keep it straight and before I know it, I'm level through 5. Then 3 putted the 6th, with a stinking pin position, I'd left my first putt the wrong side of the hole and an almost impossible 3 footer with about 2 foot of break downhill. On the 7th I found the red hazzard on the right with a stupid drive, I should of hit 3 wood or even an iron, but it's hard when you don't know the course. Laid up and then my approach took a bad bounce on the green and kicked right into the water. I had to chip in for a point. I went close, real close, ball hung on the side of the hole but didn't drop. 8th hole I went back to my trusty 3 iron, but hit it heavy and clipped trees. I hit a 3 wood provo, and it was perfect. Should have done that first time :rolleyes: Anyway I found the first ball, but a long way out, 230yards. 5 wood got me pin high left but left me with a tricky chip over water, so I played save and went long rather than risk to much by going for the pin. Took 5 and 2 points, back on track. Overshot the green on 9 but got my 5 to close out the front 9 with 18 points.

I had the same distance on 10 as I did on 9 so hit one less club, but a little heavy to find middle of the green but a long way back. The putt was a bit scary as hit to hard and I was swimming so it was always going to be short and resulted in another 3 putt. A few solid bogeys followed to have me on 25 points through 13 holes. Laying up with 3 wood on 14 was a mistake, it should of been 3 iron, I hit a bad shot and lost a ball. Provo with Driver and tried to go big and hit it perfect. Managed a birdie with my second ball to rescue a point. 15 I went big with the driver and nailed it, but to good, I ran out of fairway and had to play a punch shot to keep it under the tree and I played it well, but was unlucky to find greenside bunker with a horrible lip in front of me, meaning, just getting it out would be good, so taking the pin on was not really an option. Another 1 pointer. 16, par 5, play clever with a good 3 wood, 4 iron and 110 yards out. The rain started, not much but enough to bug me. I played a 58 into the green, just pulled the approach and finished left of the green pin high. I bloody duffed the chip. Then completely lost it. I hit a putter then from about 3 foot off the green and I barely made it half way and then missed my 6 to scratch the hole. :mad: 17 was no better, reckon I'm out of this thing now, but still, hit 3 wood, play clever. Find the woods on the right. Provo was driver, creamed it, best hit of the day, centre of the fairway down beside the water. Find the first ball, stole a 6. Really just didn't care anymore. Not like me as I'm normally good at digging in to grind out scores in the closing holes. 18, feck it, grip it and rip it time. Eyes on the long drive, but I'm hitting with a little draw more often than not and with water up the left side, the target has to be the bunker on the right. Great hit, but dead straight, no draw and I carried Spaces LD marker but landed straight in the sand. few yards left and even roadrunner wouldn't have beaten me! Again, a rotten lie in the bunker was going to be hard to get it up quickly and make the green, but I tried, caught the lip and went no more than a few yards. Hit my next one to well and was over the back with a horrible downhill putt. I actually hit an ok putt, but I knew straight away it was to soft. Didn't catch the hil so barely went half way. It needed no more than another foot I'd say to have been excellent. So now a very tricky 2 putt to save a point and I really barely touched the ball and it just took off like a spaceship, to leave me a good 10 footer back up the hill which I couldn't hold, to clost out my last 5 holes with 3 miserable points.

Here is the kick in the face. I've worked out the permutations and combinations. 1 more point on Saturday and I would have won the golfer of the year. I really thought I was out of it after the 14th. I really wanted to win that for a second time, but it wasn't to be. Maybe playing only 5 events was always going to make it tough and to be honest, I never thought I would come close, so to finish 2nd is above expectations. 2nd was my number this year wasn't it :P Never the less, a more fitting champion we couldn't have. Tiger played sublimey on Saturday from tee to green for 18 holes. Solid as a rock, drove the ball the best I've ever seen him and he thoroughly deserves his title as champion golfer. Well done to you Tiger.

And as for Doublecross. I'm sure he was as dream to watch on Saturday, 36 points off 5 is unreal shooting and what a great champion. Well done. It was gas to see Tiger and Double cross swap trophies on Saturday. Someone has to take them off them next year :D

Well done to all the other winners on the day and during the year. A big congrats to the top 10 who made the team and Captains pick Charlie. We better win the Jug now lads.

Ballyk did a geat job as Captain for the year, but it's not over yet. MJ in a few weeks will be special and I'm really looking forward to seeing the changes made there recently. Thanks a million to Ballyk for all the hardwork during the year, the organising, the ringleading, the dedication and devotion. I know it's not an easy task, so it was all very much appreciated. Good luck to Post Punk next year. Not to many events in Cork now ya hear me lad ;)

Saturday night was back to the Porterhouse for more T-Bones and an earbashing from Roadrunner because they didn't have enough of a selection of home brew for him. I mean, sure you can only drink one at a time :eek: It was great to chat to some of the guys I haven't played with we have a real good solid bunch of guys now, so hopefully the society will build up again next year to be stronger than ever. Tralee was rocking, on no wait, we were in Killarney, or were we? :eek::confused::D:o What a great little town and we made the most of their hospitality. A long drive home yesterday, recovered now, just about.

Roll on the Jug!

then I met one of ye (not naming names) asleep on a park bench the next day when going for a walk with my daughter.. Better you than me :)

Oh that's feckin priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another great weekend with the gang from Boards.

Killarney is certainly one of the most stunning settings for a golf course that I've played. Low clouds & mist skirting the tops of the mountains that frame the course made for some spectacular views.

The course itself is on the whole very nice, but to be honest, having played Dromoland the day before, I'd probably rate it as a more enjoyable golf course, in terms of range of holes. There are a couple of holes in the middle of Killarney that are a bit plain & forgettable.

I didn't play great on Saturday. Really no part of my game was firing. Was reasonably solid off the tee. Only hit driver a couple of times on the back 9, as I hadn't been hitting it well at all for a couple of weeks. Having knocked it straight down the middle on 18, Doublecross remarked to me that I should have been hitting it a lot more that day. He's probably right!!!

Short game was really poor, wasn't leaving chips dead, or even in range of dead at all.

Putter wasn't too bad. I was hitting great lines on my mid-range putts all day, but left numerous putts about a foot short, which was very frustrating.

I would say that I played 3 holes well in the whole round, and that's probably being generous with myself.

Benny is far too hard on himself. Really his biggest obstacle is in his head. He hit the ball well off the tee & with his irons. As Doublecross mentioned, he was lethal inside 10ft with his putter, think the only one he missed was on 18. He just needs to build a bit more confidence with his short game & will shoot down.

Having played with Doublecross a couple of times now, I have to say that he is an exceptional ball-striker. He wasn't driving the ball well on Saturday, but his iron game more than made up for it. His short game & putting are not too shabby either. He got up & down well almost every time he needed to. It looked like he might be losing his way a bit in the middle of the back 9 with a run of 1 pointers, but he dug deep & pulled it back together to finish well & was a very deserved winner. Was great to see him finally close out an event, given how consistent he has been for the last couple of years.

Loved the atmosphere in the clubhouse afterwards, especially with the count-down to GOTY, I was sitting beside Tiger & Seve when the announcement was made & I could feel the tension & anticipation waiting the result. Both of the lads would have been deserving winners for the amount of time they've dedicated to the society.

Killarney is some town for a night out, a great atmosphere & good crowds. Took Seve's advice & went for a T-bone in the Porterhouse, and it didn't disappoint, even if Tiger was upset at the amount of blood he could see on my plate (strange reaction for a Tiger ;)). I thought my one chance to win something on the day would be a dance-off, but it didn't transpire (my old adversary Fixed wasn't around unfortunately).

To finish the night, we had to talk down our taxi-driver on the way home after he was almost getting into a scrap with someone who tried to hop in & take our cab from under us.

Congrats on a great years work to Ballyk. Wish I'd been able to make more outings this year, but timing didn't work for me at a number of events.

And finally, best of luck to the new captain, A Post Punk. He's been a very dedicated member & put in some serious mileage over the last few years to support the society. I've no doubt he'll do a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Just for the record, That wasn't me!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Lads.....
    A great night and day out in Killarney, Firstly the reason we travelled down to the lower west-side was to see the famous Killeen Course! It was my first time getting to play the course and when you drive in upto the clubhouse you know it's just different, the views are spectacular. I was feeling confident all week as I thought my form was starting to show the last few weeks, I thought this could be it after a hard year of lessons and swing change finally giving results. I stood on the first tee and the starter told me aim for the dead tree on the left and the wind will take it right..... hit it exactly where he said and it went left to right , hit the stone wall on the right and bounced straight into the water (ha ha ha ha)that's was the kind of day I had. I was putting well but mi****ting a lot of shots and I don't really know why because my setup seemed fine. If I had a good drive I'd mi**** the 2nd or duff a chip shot and end up with monster putts to save a point. Anyway thanks to Bally k for finishing a great year on a high note with a beautiful course and FairPlay to double cross on the win.
    The Night
    We had a great night out for all those that bailed on us, it's great to have a chat and a bit of craic to finish off the season. Seve found a great pub Friday night and we followed him back in to the never ending bar Saturday evening , I think everyone is convinced they'll have to move to the rebel county for most of next year:)(payback is a bitch lads):)
    Thanks to Bally k for the great courses this year, a good mix ,and the committee aswell in the background for all the work. Thanks for nominating me for captain aswell lads, I hope I can do it justice!!!! I always look forward to playing the new courses up and down the country so hopefully we can keep it going stronger than ever this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭slingerz

Lads.....
    A great night and day out in Killarney, Firstly the reason we travelled down to the lower west-side was to see the famous Killeen Course! It was my first time getting to play the course and when you drive in upto the clubhouse you know it's just different, the views are spectacular. I was feeling confident all week as I thought my form was starting to show the last few weeks, I thought this could be it after a hard year of lessons and swing change finally giving results. I stood on the first tee and the starter told me aim for the dead tree on the left and the wind will take it right..... hit it exactly where he said and it went left to right , hit the stone wall on the right and bounced straight into the water (ha ha ha ha)that's was the kind of day I had. I was putting well but mi****ting a lot of shots and I don't really know why because my setup seemed fine. If I had a good drive I'd mi**** the 2nd or duff a chip shot and end up with monster putts to save a point. Anyway thanks to Bally k for finishing a great year on a high note with a beautiful course and FairPlay to double cross on the win.
    The Night
    We had a great night out for all those that bailed on us, it's great to have a chat and a bit of craic to finish off the season. Seve found a great pub Friday night and we followed him back in to the never ending bar Saturday evening , I think everyone is convinced they'll have to move to the rebel county for most of next year:)(payback is a bitch lads):)
    Thanks to Bally k for the great courses this year, a good mix ,and the committee aswell in the background for all the work. Thanks for nominating me for captain aswell lads, I hope I can do it justice!!!! I always look forward to playing the new courses up and down the country so hopefully we can keep it going stronger than ever this year.

Whatever about rebel county im sure you could keep most of the events inside the province!!

It would be epic to get a society outing to the new Adare Manor!!

slingerz wrote: »
    Whatever about rebel county im sure you could keep most of the events inside the province!!

will you be joining us next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Had no time to reply yet unfortunately.

Great course. Definately the prettiest I've played on. Bit of a spin, cheers to bigchap for doing most of the driving this year. Played badly, but Seve and tiger played good.

Daughter just threw up, to be cont'd..

Lads.....
    The Night

I know a lad that was working on it actually mabye an option alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Daughter just threw up, to be cont'd..

Just to add big thanks to everyone who made it. Great to see doublecross get the big win and tigger get the overall. Commiserations to seve, I know how it feels to loose a GOTY by one shot!

Great craic on the night out. Had to leave a little early as I was exhausted.

Well done to Ballyk who's been great all year. And best of luck to post punk for next year.

Seve OB wrote: »
    will you be joining us next year?

Hope to make some events seeing they are all in the Rebel County. Family life means long trips up the country are not possible I'm afraid!

Add on Hogs Head, Ballybunion, Tralee, Dooks, The Old Head you'd have Munster covered

Hope to make some events seeing they are all in the Rebel County. Family life means long trips up the country are not possible I'm afraid!

lol, family life means i have to get out of the house, the further away the better :D know what you mean though, it's hard.

Add on Hogs Head, Ballybunion, Tralee, Dooks, The Old Head you'd have Munster covered
    Ha ha, the society would close down if we did all them.A nice run of courses alright though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

Had the best golfing weekend i've ever played Dromoland friday followed by Killeen in killarney on saturday. As expected seve and roadrunner started strongly both having birdie putts on the 1st. However roadrunner game slowly went downhill from there and by the time we stood on the par 3 island 10th he was looking for a wager to help him refocus on the back nine. Unfortunately for him i obliged and i went on to birdie the 10th and 11th (a first for me) and i floated onto the 12th tee box but soon woke up after scratching that. I hit one of my best drives all year on the index 1 13th but was still 50yrs behind roadrunner and only just ahead of seve with his 3 wood in the rough. Kept it going steady enough up until 18th green thinking i had a blown my chance until seve pointed out that a chip and putt would possiblily give me a win which suprised me as i was not marking his card i guessed wrongly he was ahead for the player of the year. A routine chip suddenly became a knee knocker and i was glad to get it on the green and was happy to get a five in the end for 35pts.

Genuinely delighted for doublecross with a great score off his hcp and thanks to seve for taking the shorthead defeat with such grace. But for me the most enjoyable part of the day was collecting the wagers:D and to top it all i managed for the second time running to collect a half share in two's carryover jackpot.

I had considered not rejoining boards as i have joined a club for the first time in a good few years this year but thankfully i did and played my best golf on the boards outing this year. I would like to thank Ballyk for doing a top job this year with a great selection of courses starting with a hidden gem of a course wicklow and finishing with my new favourite course kileen at 50euro was great value and all other courses kept to 35euro.

Looking forward to boards 2018 and after talking to our new captain post punk last saturday night he has great plans for next year with some top courses mentioned as well as encouraging some old boardies to return and some new members lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

ssbob wrote: »
    - highlight for me was watching Charlie curse and blind his way down the 14th hole!!!

HaHa didn't this happen at a previous outing? Does it happen every event too? HaHa

the lawman wrote: »
    HaHa didn't this happen at a previous outing? Does it happen every event too? HaHa

No, it’s been a long time since I had an outburst like this!!

Have been in therapy!!

Advertisement