Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for an IP Lawyer

Options
  • 30-08-2017 7:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

looking for recommendations for an Intellectual Property law firm if anyone has any experience with any.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

I can recommend http://www.anneryanip.com/. I used them over many years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks Mr A, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I'd say go and visit a minimum of 3 different patent attorneys and then choose. At least then you will have a pretty informed opinion of what IP you should actually be going for. First consultation should be free so no harm in putting in a bit of time into meeting them.

I went to 4 attorneys before I chose who to go with. Their opinions ranged from definitely patentable, to not patentable but could get registered designs, to just invest the IP money into branding/marketing.

I ended up going with Tomkins (they are surprisingly cheap even though I went with them as I found them very good to deal with) but was also impressed by FRKelly. I went to another company who promised the moon and the stars however if I went with the IP that they suggested I would have spent 15k on patents that would never stand up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends on what aspect of IP you're dealing with - there's a massive difference between trademark registration / management and protection and patents (for example).

A lot of the smaller law firms in Ireland don't have the inhouse expertise and for some IT / tech related stuff I wouldn't be overly confident in many of the big law firms either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for the advice guys.

It's not a patent issue but most of your comments are still relevant.

Fingers crossed I'll be back to tell the full story at some point without too many scars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement