Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major tailback at College rd

Options
  • 30-08-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Does anybody know what's causing the major tailback at College rd for the last couple of months. Seems to be a near constant between 5 and 7pm.
    Which means that waits at the 409 bus stop in the park become majorly extended and the ETA times board is even more inaccurate than usual.
    Did tehy change the junction next to the dole office or something?
    & is it something that is likely to die down this week as kids go back to school and tourist season ends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from 2013 thread

Removed all the bickering below so thread will stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I know that traffic going the opposite direction down College rd is bad at rush hour. Start of that seemed to coincide with teh roundabout becoming a traffic light junction. Which means it can take 1/2 and hour to get down that stretch.
    BUt since midsummer noticeably and possibly before that you get a tailback meaning that traffic is at a standstill between City Hall and Forster street even when there's been no sign along the rest of College rd. THat's normally between around 5pm and 7pm from what I've noticed.
    I've been wondering if it has something to do with the junction next to the dole office or something. Did they change the layout of that sometime this year?
    Tends to mean that people can be standing at the Eyre square stops for the 409 and presumably the 403 for extended waits. & that the ETA board there is left saying Due or Ann or a time duration of a couple of minutes since at a normal pace that stretch would be covered in no time. I still don't know exactly what those ETA boards info derives from and how much of a guesstimate a digital algorithm can perform.
    But it does make rush hour a pain.
    I did notice a load of new buses on the 409 service yesterday but I can't see how they'd overcome a blockage on that stretch of College rd.

Since I noticed the problem during the summer I was hoping that it might die down as kids went back to school and the tourist season ended. Is it just a problem of having too many cars around a town with a lot of roads built for far less traffic.
    It seems that buses have a problem passing each other at various points along that College Rd. Probably reasonably narrow road plus cars parked either side plus too large vehicles for the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Make College Road - Lough Atalia One way. Build a Bus/Cycle Lane corridor on both, optimize the traffic light timings at bottom of College road, Monnenagesha and forster court junctions(Priority flow Dublin road, Merchants row). Current situation is unworkable as people in both Buses and cars are just sitting in gridocked traffic from 5-7 every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Make College Road - Lough Atalia One way. Build a Bus/Cycle Lane corridor on both, optimize the traffic light timings at bottom of College road, Monnenagesha and forster court junctions(Priority flow Dublin road, Merchants row). Current situation is unworkable as people in both Buses and cars are just sitting in gridocked traffic from 5-7 every day.

They did that a few years ago when lowering the bridge on lough atalia, worked well but our CC's buckled when all the b & b's on collage road objected to it staying that way permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They did that a few years ago when lowering the bridge on lough atalia, worked well but our CC's buckled when all the b & b's on collage road objected to it staying that way permanently.

The speed of the traffic went way up. It was dangerous for the residents to try and get out of their driveways. If it was done correctly ie one bus lane and one car lane it would work better

• Advertisement

The speed of the traffic went way up. It was dangerous for the residents to try and get out of their driveways. If it was done correctly ie one bus lane and one car lane it would work better

traffic calming measures are easy to put in place but are beyond the capabilities of our city councillors

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

traffic calming measures are easy to put in place but are beyond the capabilities of our city councillors

Rot. They've done them successfully elsewhere in the city.

There were many issues with one-way on College/LoughA roads the distance between the link roads, the effect on local residents who could no longer catch a bus into town, the confusion for BnB guests (some of whom drove the wrong way along the road).

Even one more link road between the two would have made the whole idea more viable.

Rot. They've done them successfully elsewhere in the city.

There were many issues with one-way on College/LoughA roads the distance between the link roads, the effect on local residents who could no longer catch a bus into town, the confusion for BnB guests (some of whom drove the wrong way along the road).

Even one more link road between the two would have made the whole idea more viable.

All easily fixed with a little bit of intelligence and planning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

All easily fixed with a little bit of intelligence and planning

OK I'll bite. Where would you put that additional link road?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm guessing he/she will want to put it through City Hall. Hopefully they don't get it wrong and put it through the County Council buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm guessing he/she will want to put it through City Hall. Hopefully they don't get it wrong and put it through the County Council buildings.

Eh? City Hall is between Bohermore and College Rd, not Lough Atallia and College Road.

Going thru private property, and down a pretty steep hill, would be the only option for an extra link road or two. Can't see it happening myself.

Both lough atalia and collage road are both less than a km in length

Advertisement