Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABS for your bike

Options
  • 30-08-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

well...your e-bike...

wouldn't be surprised though if in a while they'd come up with a system that works with just a small battery pack for the necessary electronics on regular, non-e-bikes as a re-fit kit.

Personally, I think it's a bit too much really.
    If you need ABS on a bike to save your ass, then you've been going way too fast to start with

one more video:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heh - on the very day i actually locked up my back wheel briefly - braked hard enough that it obviously lifted a little weight off it and it slid for a fraction of a second. not that i'd be convinced the above would have helped - if the system had detected it and eased up the front a little, i suspect i'd have taken longer to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

peasant wrote: »
    If you need ABS on a bike to save your ass, then you've been going way too fast to start with

Paraphrasing my parents there in so many ways. :) I'd be inclined to argue that that's exactly the kind of situation abs (and stability control, and airbags, and seat belts and virtually every piece of motoring safety equipment ever made) is designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

- if the system had detected it and eased up the front a little, i suspect i'd have taken longer to stop?

It's an ongoing motorcycle debate. Yes a really good motorcyclist on the ball can brake better witbout, but the abs advantage is really for the tired / distracted / totally unexpected "Oh sh1t" braking slam-ons. Add a little wet or greasy surface to that and you'd hope your abs would keep you upright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this was going down newtownpark avenue earlier - so doing probably 50km/h - van in front of me jammed on; but it's a straight road so wasn't a last minute full on panic brake.

Advertisement