Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My stove is only 6 years old.... and its knackered

Options
  • 30-08-2017 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have just found today that the boiler is cracked in my 6 year old stove. Bearing in mind it hasnt been lit for the last 2 months. Anyways saw water leaking out and had it looked at by a plumber.... and its now fit for "scrap".

I am just wondering, is this right? I have spoken to the retailer who sold me the stove and told me that its not their problem as the stove is over 5 years old. Now correct me if im wrong but surely a boiler should last more than 6 years.... has anyone else had this problem... its a Henly Blasket by the way:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

6 years is too long to take any action against the retailer;.but it may be worth checking what, if anything, the manufacturer can do

If you're under 6 full years, e.g. 5 and a half, you could take a small claims court case but you wouldn't get full value at this stage - I'd guess at maybe a quarter of the price or so but its entirely dependent on the judge. edit: and dependent on winning the case, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd expect a stove to last more than six years with normal use and reasonable maintenance.

But your problem is this: if you bought it six or more years ago, any claim that you might have is statute-barred.

It is also possible that the water in your system could have caused the problem. Hard water can deposit large amounts of limescale.

Sorry that I can't give a more positive response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Village Crazy Lady

its actually 6 and half years old boo fricking hoo, and you know what is killing me the most, i took out a perfect 30year old back boiler in my open fire to put this in. and worse, im told that i probably will only get about 5 years out of the next one, cause they are all cast in china.... well go figure, have to keep the chinese in jobs!!!

i suppose i could start a thread..... " why don't goods last as long as they used to", but i already know the answer to that one... thanks for the reply, just need to bite the bullet and fork out for a new one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

What fuel were you burning in the stove ? I know stoves that got excessive use and the boiler lasted over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

i suppose i could start a thread..... " why don't goods last as long as they used to", but i already know the answer to that one...

In general, they last longer than they used to - survivorship bias from the older things we see still working - and the fact that items are less repairable these days meaning they often disposed of rather than repaired - seems to cause people to believe things are less reliable when the opposite is true. Try think the last time you had to get your TV repaired versus how often it needed it in the 80s!

For stoves and similar, things not being made for the use patterns we have here is probably an issue that wasn't there before; now that everything is only made in a few factories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 stone12

What make is the stove and was it multifueled?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The type and quantity of wood burned in it can and will impact it. The water going through it will also impact it.

How long is a length of string with the above two variables

L1011 wrote: »
    In general, they last longer than they used to - survivorship bias from the older things we see still working - and the fact that items are less repairable these days meaning they often disposed of rather than repaired - seems to cause people to believe things are less reliable when the opposite is true. Try think the last time you had to get your TV repaired versus how often it needed it in the 80s!

For stoves and similar, things not being made for the use patterns we have here is probably an issue that wasn't there before; now that everything is only made in a few factories.

never had a TV repair.... ever.... the old tube TV is still upstairs but no use now cause of no analog but still works... my current tv is at least 10 years old.

and the back boiler which was removed 6 years ago never had a repair either,

and i only just recently had to get rid of the electric cooker which had been in the kitchen for as long as i can remember, which i do know needed the odd replacement ring...

also i am still using my mums 30 year old nilfisk hoover...

my laptop must be 10years plus

my record player is 40 years old and has only had the belt replaced once.

i believe that stuff should last, but i have found that certain items i have bought over that last few years don't seem to have the same lifespan as things bought more than 10 years ago... or is it im just lucky... lol

Bought my Boru inset stove in Waterford. It cost about 900e. but its worth every penny. It burns coal and does not heat water. This stove would be lit before noon by my son, and when it was going fully, the dampers were pushed in to only leave a small amount of air supply. That fire stays going from noon until later that night without any attention, just appreciation, highly recommend this brand.

stone12 wrote: »
    What make is the stove and was it multifueled?

its a Henly Blasket, 21kw, with 9 rads, and i only ever burned wood as that was what it said, a "wood burning stove", so as long as i was getting dry seasoned wood i never had any issues with it... gosh im going to miss that stove... i hope the next one is just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

could you get it repaired.
    I guy I know got his welded by a pressure welding company. and its working fine since

could you get it repaired.
    I guy I know got his welded by a pressure welding company. and its working fine since

Yeah i looked into that, but the guy said he couldn't guarantee that it would last, and he also said the crack is very big, judgeing by the water on my living room floor, id say it is.... i thought the kids had spilled their juice on the floor was about to go bat **** crazy when i noticed the water dripping from the stove..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Might be worth checking in with Henley.
    I found the service guys excellent when had a small issue.
    Wouldn't expect free free but from my experience reckon they would be disappointed that it only lasted 6 years.
    They will ask about fuel used, the source of it and did you consistently use seasoned wood etc (do you have a moisture meter?) - AFAIK most blaskets are mutlifuel - if you never used anything other than wood I would expect it to last.

Worth a call to them - if for nothing else that you were a super happy customer up to this; do they need to change manufacturing processes etc, (normally every fault call would be logged to see if there is recurring issues)

frankz wrote: »
    Might be worth checking in with Henley.
    I found the service guys excellent when had a small issue.
    Wouldn't expect free free but from my experience reckon they would be disappointed that it only lasted 6 years.
    They will ask about fuel used, the source of it and did you consistently use seasoned wood etc (do you have a moisture meter?) - AFAIK most blaskets are mutlifuel - if you never used anything other than wood I would expect it to last.

Worth a call to them - if for nothing else that you were a super happy customer up to this; do they need to change manufacturing processes etc, (normally every fault call would be logged to see if there is recurring issues)

Yes, when I spoke to the retailer today she said she would log the details with Henley but i plan on ringing them myself tomorrow. I was wondering if the boiler itself can be replaced. I do know at this stage it will not be free but im sure it will be cheaper than buying a new stove😀

Know how you feel - if anything happened my stove, i would just replace it instantly. The comfort is a luxury i would not be willing to forego.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Even if you were within the 6 years it wouldn't be an open & shut case. It could as easily be the installer who is at fault. Not installed according to manufacturer's instructions is not a manifacture fault.
    Only option is contact the manufacturer. They might do something for you as a good will gesture. Perhaps give a discount on a replacement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Even if you were within the 6 years it wouldn't be an open & shut case. It could as easily be the installer who is at fault. Not installed according to manufacturer's instructions is not a manifacture fault.
    Only option is contact the manufacturer. They might do something for you as a good will gesture. Perhaps give a discount on a replacement
    Got a chance to speak to Henley today, they said can't help as out of warranty and also because the boiler is welded into the stove it can't be replaced. It's shocking really considering I spent 1200e on a stove that cannot be repaired. I would have expected such an expensive item to at least have the option of repair and would be happy to have a new boiler put in it. And i would have been happy to pay for that. I have since sourced a new stove which hopefully should be delivered tomorrow. I sometimes suspect that we live in a throw away instead of repair culture, which surely cannot be good. Anyway thanks for the replies, "bullet bitten, and money spent on a new one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I have a Henley stove myself and all I can say is AVOID, it was a fine thing I got the €1,000 in €5 notes and burnt them for heat, as I'd have got more heat from physically burning the money. I put the stove in for heating but it is beyond useless, you could throw in a full scuttle of coal and even then I think its hopeless. Luckily Kerosene prices came down since I installed it but if Oil goes back up I'll be throwing it out.

Henleys are only pure cheap Chinese rubbish and no-one should buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

I have a non boiler Henley for the last four years and am very happy with it. Great heat and wouldn't be without it for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Yeah i looked into that, but the guy said he couldn't guarantee that it would last, and he also said the crack is very big..:D

The guy who looked at it wasnt willing or able to repair it . Any welder worth his salt would be more than capable of repairing a crack of ANY size or lenght .
    Of course we live in a throw away era if we are willing to believe those whos first instint is to scrap it.

:(

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »
    I have a Henley stove myself and all I can say is AVOID, it was a fine thing I got the €1,000 in €5 notes and burnt them for heat, as I'd have got more heat from physically burning the money. I put the stove in for heating but it is beyond useless, you could throw in a full scuttle of coal and even then I think its hopeless. Luckily Kerosene prices came down since I installed it but if Oil goes back up I'll be throwing it out.

Henleys are only pure cheap Chinese rubbish and no-one should buy them.

Gosh I'm really surprised as I've never had any problems until now obviously. It has heated all 9 radiators and kept the house warm in the winter. My new purchase is a heritage stove and its multi fuel this time instead of wood burning only.
    I hope i get more than 6 years out of this one, i don't even change my car as often

The guy who looked at it wasnt willing or able to repair it . Any welder worth his salt would be more than capable of repairing a crack of ANY size or lenght .
    Of course we live in a throw away era if we are willing to believe those whos first instint is to scrap it.

:(
    The guy who looked at it, is worth his weight in gold and is an engineer, who has spent his life building machines bigger than my house, he's also a family friend who i have known more than 40 years.

The guy who looked at it, is worth his weight in gold and is an engineer, who has spent his life building machines bigger than my house, he's also a family friend who i have known more than 40 years.

And he cannot repair a cracked boiler ??:confused:

And he cannot repair a cracked boiler ??:confused:

no he won't, i never said he couldn't :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

stanley or nothing,

Probably too busy building all those machines bigger than your house ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

mezzz wrote: »
    stanley or nothing,

Who have a messed up parts system and are moving out of Ireland to the UK this year, but yeah you can get the boilers for them as spare parts.

Advertisement