Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car dipping experience

Options
  • 30-08-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Ok I am hoping in coming year I be able to afford getting a shell dipped and would looking to see if anybody on here has had it done.

My main question is, Did you have to remove the OE sound deadening material???

Not the foam/hairy type that's already out of my shell, but the bitumen type thats stuck to floorpans.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

its costly doing this....get in touch with the company in the UK......there are a few horror stories of this process but i think thats the full 3 stage process......i did hear of a gull wing merc that rusted out and owner sued company but this was many years ago......

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Yeah kinda know it be expensive all right. Circa 1500 GBP not inc travel etc etc.

I did send messages to 2 places over but I not heard. Just thought I ask around in mean time.

Yeah seen gull wing comment before, think that was nearly 10 years ago now. Shell didn't go through alkaline solution properly before getting anti rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

Very odd! Gullwings have a steel tubular chassis and some alloy body panels I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

w124man wrote: »
    Very odd! Gullwings have a steel tubular chassis and some alloy body panels I thought.

Some were steel some alloy, I've watched too much Wayne Carrini? seems to be always on
    TV at dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I had a chassis dipped with Surface Processing in Dudley in the UK: http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/

It was a ladder style chassis from a 1948 Alvis. The process was pretty good, I had it dipped and then e-coated. The coating is great and the big thing for me was to have the inside of the box sections cleaned and coated as well as the outsides.

They bent one out-rigger thing lifting it with chains which was a pain but repairable.

I don't think you will have to remove the sound deadening yourself but the process certainly will remove it. Asking them is the only way to be sure I guess.
    The biggest problem with having to go to the UK for it is, especially with a whole body is that the very best way to do it is to do it twice. Dip it, patch it up, dip again and then e-coat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

pryantcc wrote: »
    I had a chassis dipped with Surface Processing in Dudley in the UK: http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/

It was a ladder style chassis from a 1948 Alvis. The process was pretty good, I had it dipped and then e-coated. The coating is great and the big thing for me was to have the inside of the box sections cleaned and coated as well as the outsides.

They bent one out-rigger thing lifting it with chains which was a pain but repairable.

I don't think you will have to remove the sound deadening yourself but the process certainly will remove it. Asking them is the only way to be sure I guess.
    The biggest problem with having to go to the UK for it is, especially with a whole body is that the very best way to do it is to do it twice. Dip it, patch it up, dip again and then e-coat it.

Cheers for reply.

Advertisement