Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Entry Level Road Bike

Options
  • 30-08-2017 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Looking for advice for buying a good road bike. I have a hybrid which I will continue to use for my daily commute of about ten miles each way.

I would like a road bike to do longer cycles on the weekend. This would include some hills but would be on tarmac. Basically, I also race with a pal on these trips who has a Trek 1.7 so want - at least - parity with that! Budget is around 1000 euro,

My LBS is recommending a €1200 Giant Contend SL 2 disc braking. The only worry is that it has a lower spec gear set (Shimano Tiagra) than my friend's which had a 105. 20 speed vs 22 speed? How important is this as I don't want to be left in the dust!

Anyway, this is a big purchase so would appreciate your advice or thoughts? Am I missing another bike in this price range which is better!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't sweat the 22 vs 20 gears - that just determines how potentially 'gappy' the gears are and won't make much difference to you.
    you will be paying a premium of about €100 for disc brakes - the SL (non disc) is €150 cheaper than the disc version on giant's irish website. bear in mind that this time of year, a lot of brands start to change the ranges over to the 2018 range so you can sometimes/often pick up the outgoing range with a decent discount.

for example, if you go to trek's website, they now list the 2018 models.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, are you buying on the bike to work scheme? if not, you could consider the secondhand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Killylastin

Thanks. - for advice. Looking at the bike to work scheme.

So the Shimano Tiagra vs Shimano 105 - NOT a big deal?

105 is better, there's no denying that. but it's not a make or break decision with the bike - i'm still using a bike with 9 speed 105 (well, 18 speed - 9x2) from many years ago that modern tiagra is probably much better than. and it's a decent bike still.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Thanks. - for advice. Looking at the bike to work scheme.

So the Shimano Tiagra vs Shimano 105 - NOT a big deal?

I've had Tiagra, Sora and 105s in the last 5 years, 105 way better than Sora but not huge diff with Tiagra. I cycle with a girl who does Triathlons and she mashes me, shes on Tiagra and I'm on 105, it doesn't make you faster! By the sounds of what you''re doing, I dont think it's a game changer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Hi,

I have a full carbon Sensa Toscana road bike in almost new condition if you're interested. It's the last of a batch of hire bikes from a small bike holiday company I used to run. It's a 58cm one and because of it's size wasn't out very much at all. There's at most 300km on it!!
    It would suit someone about 6ft or over.
    It has a full carbon frame with full 105 10 speed compact groupset. Looking for €800 ono.
    PM me your number if interested and I'll text you a photo. Don't seem to be able to get one on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

OP, sale in Giant store in Dublin will get you content SL1 (105 version of bike you mwntion) for 1100.
    http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/contend.sl.1.disc/28599/99370/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

I just got the 2018 Trek Domane AL3 via BTW scheme. Very happy with it so far.

Advertisement