Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aide de Camp to An Taoiseach

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ADC could never be a man under VlaD's watch. check

ADC will attend second tier funerals when VlaD cannot attend personally.

Anything else Aide de Comp does?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I suggested you contact your local political representative because you are not convinced of our comments.

You will get a difinitive answer from them, to your liking or not.

The role is a traditional role which globally spans centuries .......thats it.
    do you think my local politician knows why there is miltary-ADC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I phrased it like that because he was suggesting I contact somebody about it but I responded I would have to find out more about the role before I were to go further and contact somebody about it, im just discussing something on an internet forum at the moment.

So you don't know what the role is and yet you are suggesting it could be done by people other than those normally appointed. You clearly know nothing of military training either. You then make sarcastic comments when you get an explanation of any kind.

What is the role of the ADC please?

So you don't know what the role is and yet you are suggesting it could be done by people other than those normally appointed. You clearly know nothing of military training either. You then make sarcastic comments when you get an explanation of any kind.

Which is why I came on to this board to ask and you give out to me for doing so. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

do you think my local politician knows why there is miltary-ADC?

Yes.

You ask your TD in an email "why does An T and El Pres have a military ADC and not just a civil servant?".

They may bounce it up as a Parliamentary Query to An T's office or the Min for Def for answering.

Its a huge waste of their time but you can do it. You wont accept what has been said here sure. We can only tell you bits and bobs of the role, not the States official policy about having one.

Which is why I came on to this board to ask and you give out to me for doing so. :rolleyes:
    You are not asking, you are telling.

No answers just defending and deflection.

You are not asking, you are telling.
    Yes Im saying I havn't read an answer to as to why it has to be military. Have you?

Yes.

You ask your TD in an email "why does An T and El Pres have a military ADC and not just a civil servant?".

They may bounce it up as a Parliamentary Query to An T's office or the Min for Def for answering.

Its a huge waste of their time but you can do it. You wont accept what has been said here sure. We can only tell you bits and bobs of the role, not the States official policy about having one.

I did search on Oireachtas the answers were very vague.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1960061500010?opendocument&highlight=Aide%20de%20Camp
    The duties of Aide-de-camp to the Taoiseach are to attend on him, when required, at certain formal functions and to represent him on occasions, such as funeral ceremonies, when it is not practicable for the Taoiseach to be present personally.
    The duties of the aide-de-camp to the Taoiseach by long practice and precedent are to attend with him, when required, at certain formal functions and to represent him on ceremonial and other occasions, such as funeral ceremonies, when it is not possible for the Taoiseach to be present personally.
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1988052400005?opendocument&highlight=Aide%20de%20Camp

the answers here have been a bit more detailed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Thats is not the *why* though is it?

Look, I dont know if you are on a wind up or what but this is my last bit on this.

The Aide de Camp is a traditional military appointment which mirrored high ranking military leaders for military matters....centuries ago.

Political figures also had a military assistant for military matters....centuries ago.

As the centuries went on, so to did the functions, roles & responsibilities of the ADC. The traditional "military matters" evolved or devolved to more ceremonial and administrative matters.

However, the military ADC remained a status and traditional symbol for Royalty, Heads of State and senior political figures.

Thats it..thats the why. Its tradition......it doesnt matter that you dont agree with it.

Thats is not the *why* though is it?

Look, I dont know if you are on a wind up or what but this is my last bit on this.

The Aide de Camp is a traditional military appointment which mirrored high ranking military leaders for military matters....centuries ago.

Political figures also had a military assistant for military matters....centuries ago.

As the centuries went on, so to did the functions, roles & responsibilities of the ADC. The traditional "military matters" evolved or devolved to more ceremonial and administrative matters.

However, the military ADC remained a status and traditional symbol for Royalty, Heads of State and senior political figures.

Thats it..thats the why. Its tradition......it doesnt matter that you dont agree with it.

if I asked _why_ I'd expect I'd still get a carbon copy of the above answers.

to be fair to me, my original question was "why do you need a an military person to be the Taoiseach's ~personal assistant~?" not why the ADC is a military person.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

A lot of Irish people don't like uniforms, especially Army ones, followed closely by the Gardai.
    Fire(persons) uniforms seem to be an exception.
    So, maybe in the ADC wore civvies it would not be a bone of contention?

DanMurphy wrote: »
    A lot of Irish people don't like uniforms, especially Army ones, followed closely by the Gardai.
    Fire(persons) uniforms seem to be an exception.
    So, maybe in the ADC wore civvies it would not be a bone of contention?

It would be for the o/p. ADCs turn up at a lot of funerals. The uniform makes them highly visible and ensures that the newspapers report that the Taoiseach was represented at the funeral. This is seen as an honour to the deceased. It is far better than having some dimunitive civil servant in a Penney's ployester suit turning up saying the Taoiseach sent me.
    An ADC also accompanies the Taoiseach to military functions, with guards of honour. As a serving of officer the ADC should of course be in uniform at such occasions.The military attaches at the various embassies wear their uniforms when attending official functions so why shouldn't the Taoiseach's ADC?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Of course they should be in uniform.
    It is, after all, the uniform of the State, though that irks some folks I know.

Advertisement