Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology in schools-managing it

Options
  • 30-08-2017 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Wanted to start a debate here. How are schools managing the level of technology now in schools?

Off the top of my head we have
    Projectors (multiple brands and types)
    Wifi network
    Staff iPads
    Staff laptops (hodgepodge all ancient)
    Two computer rooms
    Multiple base computers in various rooms (not all)
    Photocopiers
    Printers
    School iPads
    Vsware
    Google apps for Education
    Student iPads

Who is managing it your school? Is there a post? External companies? Any issues?

It seems nuts that there is not a technician in the bigger schools at least-there is so much equipment!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

As an ETB we have an IT tech who comes out to our school twice a week. Requests/repairs are organised through a ticketing system. It's not the most efficient system, but it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It is a crazy situation. Officially the ETB IT person manages it -along with dozens of other schools and centres. It definitely does not work, efficiently or otherwise. A few teachers who teach IT try and keep on top of it day to day but they're not given any real time or incentive (no posts) so it's an unrealistic task.

We have:
    PC and interactive whiteboard in every room.
    8 computer rooms each with 24 PCs
    Several class sets of ipads
    Several class sets of laptops
    VSWare
    Wifi
    4 photocopiers
    Dozens of printers

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

In my school we had an IT guy who came in when requested to sort IT issues. But this year we have a new company that has taken over IT issues. Currently we are having issues with active white boards and eportal along with accessing drives on our computers!

Don't even get me started on the photocopier situation! It died at 9:01 Monday morning! Was fixed and was gone again this morning!

We have a member of staff who "helps out" with IT stuff like ordering ink for printers and keeping us all informed of issues and updates! But it's not a post of responsibility!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sounds like its similar across schools tbh. Ad hoc hotch potch of external agencies, some posts and a lot of good will/"pressure" on staff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

8 computer rooms??? That must be some size of a school!

Our school has no post for ICT. Others schools do. It's a mess. In any organisation with 300 end users and nearly the same number of devices (teacher pcs, computer room, iPads, laptops, computers etc) it really needs a person to manage it. And it should be a post. The amount of grief involved! And the ETB techs expect you to fix every problem.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    8 computer rooms??? That must be some size of a school!

Our school has no post for ICT. Others schools do. It's a mess. In any organisation with 300 end users and nearly the same number of devices (teacher pcs, computer room, iPads, laptops, computers etc) it really needs a person to manage it. And it should be a post. The amount of grief involved! And the ETB techs expect you to fix every problem.

We're ETB and I've never even heard of an ETB tech!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

We're ETB and I've never even heard of an ETB tech!!

So if a pc breaks down who fixes it?

doc_17 wrote: »
    So if a pc breaks down who fixes it?

We had a post who had the responsibility. Post is now gone. Currently I imagine no one!

Advertisement