Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booking.com accidentally booked hotel with no refund policy

Options
  • 30-08-2017 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I accidentally booked a hotel on booking.com with a non refundable non changeable policy on the reservation.

I was trying to see what the policy was and kept going with the booking while trying to look for that information.

I then proceeded to accidentally select book while looking for the policy

I immediately cancelled the booking, I immediately emailed the hotel to explain and emailed booking.com too

What are the chances I will get charged ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I accidentally booked a hotel on booking.com with a non refundable non changeable policy on the reservation.

I was trying to see what the policy was and kept going with the booking while trying to look for that information.

I then proceeded to accidentally select book while looking for the policy

I immediately cancelled the booking, I immediately emailed the hotel to explain and emailed booking.com too

What are the chances I will get charged ?

Same thing happened to me I contacted the hotel I got charged for one night instead of the 3 i booked for. I think it's at the discretion of the hotel as to whether they will charge you or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is there not a cooling-off period to online purchases (or "distance selling"), or does it somehow not apply to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is there not a cooling-off period to online purchases (or "distance selling"), or does it somehow not apply to this?

This doesn't apply to accommodation bookings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

JohnC. wrote: »

It depends on the hotel, I recently booked a week away and the there was no cooling off period and the money disappeared from my bank account immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It has nothing to do with when the money is taken from you.

A cooling off period is a period of time where the purchaser can back out of the transaction at no cost.

In Ireland, buying goods online (distance selling) has a 14 day cooling off period whereby the purchaser can return the goods without reason within 14 days of receipt of goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.

Cooling off periods also exist for financial or investment products, covered under different legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

but, is Irish law enforceable on booking.com and a hotel in Austria ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no law to enforce here, as the contract has concluded. Hopefully they'll come through with some good customer service and allow you to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

OK, so the hotel has agreed to not charge me anything.
    Booking.com were very helpful too although ultimately the decision was with the hotel
    thanks for your help

Advertisement