Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger precision rifle

Options
  • 31-08-2017 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

i was just wondering is there anyone here that owns a Ruger precision rifle in any calibre and if i could get some feed back on it
    as i would be very intested in getting one myself. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

The ruger precision is supposed to be excellent value for money, but there is a recall on them at the moment, but i don't know what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

There is a problem with the bolt shroud affecting certain serial numbers. I would just check that if you do buy one make sure it's not one of the rifles affected.

http://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.com/email/RPR_Safety-b5bdb1ccf1eef511.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Ya im aware of that problem alright but id be hoping the one id might be buying
    wouldnt be in those serial numbers, i think ill just have to go and see one in the flesh and see what i think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Dave Mulvahill has a couple of them in Mullingar, 308 and a 223.

Fine looking machines indeed, definitely a more range oriented rifle mind - properly hefty!

extremetaz wrote: »
    Dave Mulvahill has a couple of them in Mullingar, 308 and a 223.

Fine looking machines indeed, definitely a more range oriented rifle mind - properly hefty!

Ya its the weight of it that worries me like i dont want to need a golf cart to be lugging it around the fields :D

• Advertisement

swift220 wrote: »
    Ya its the weight of it that worries me like i dont want to need a golf cart to be lugging it around the fields :D

It's the wrong rifle for deer or fox shooting unless you are shooting from a high seat or in the case of the foxes, from the back of a jeep.

Have a look at the m77 for a hunting rifle. I have a no.1 stutzen single shot and love it. Ruger make very robust firearms for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Wouldn't be my choice so dude - in fact I don't think you'll get anything with that "tactik00l" aesthetic that you'd actually want to walk around with very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

gunny123 wrote: »
    It's the wrong rifle for deer or fox shooting unless you are shooting from a high seat or in the case of the foxes, from the back of a jeep.

Have a look at the m77 for a hunting rifle. I have a no.1 stutzen single shot and love it. Ruger make very robust firearms for the money.

Agree. Couldn't imagine one of these as a hunting rifle. Owned an M77 once, excellent rifle.

Tried a friends Precision in .308 when in the US last year, put a few dozen rounds through it. A gunsmith friend over there reckoned you couldn't beat it for the package you get for your money (if your into that type of modular rifle).
    Shot pretty accurately, about 0.5 MOA. but then so does the old Steyr Mannlicher (build in 60's) i shot the first deer of the season with this morning, at much less than half the price, but thats comparing chalk and cheese.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Would be very interested in hearing your opinion on it.
    I’m looking at taking up shootIng but plan to just start off on a .22 and seeing where i go from there. Have no interest really in shooting deer I think but I do fancy long distance shooting so was recommended this gun from a mate who’s big into shooting. Mine would have to be left hand and the fact it’s modular would be a plus to me.
    I think a year down the line I might plump for it once i’ve eased myself into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

There a very accurate rifle for long distance shooting I've seen one in 6.5creed shooting out to 1100y on a steel plate with boring accuracy!There very heavy though and not a rifle for walking any distance....it felt twice the weight of my supervarmint!Dont think they were ever intended to be carried too far-more of a bench or prone position rifle.I could be wrong but think they stopped making them in .243 cal for some reason

• Advertisement

tikkamark wrote: »
    I could be wrong but think they stopped making them in .243 cal for some reason

They are making them in 6mm creedmoor, probably no point in chambering in .243 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

What part of the country are you? I've three, 243, 308 and 6.5 creedmoor. Your more than welcome to get a maul.

Unless your competing in strongman comps this is definitely not a stalking set up 😄

Im in cork.

And yes please if your not too far away id love to get my hands on one to see how it feels and that.

Oh sh#t just saw your name and guessing your in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Im in cork.

And yes please if your not too far away id love to get my hands on one to see how it feels and that.

Oh sh#t just saw your name and guessing your in Dublin.

hell man I'd drive to Dublin no problem for a shot..when you're potentially planning to drop over 2k on a gun a trip to dublin is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

gunny123 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but think they stopped making them in .243 cal for some reason

They are making them in 6mm creedmoor, probably no point in chambering in .243 too.
    True I guess for the American market......be fun trying to find 6mm creedmoor Ammo here!The rpr in 243win they originally made had a 1:7 or 1:8 Barrel which when hand loaded to fire 115gr dtac bullets-awesome 1000y+ projectiles.

True I guess for the American market......be fun trying to find 6mm creedmoor Ammo here!The rpr in 243win they originally made had a 1:7 or 1:8 Barrel which when hand loaded to fire 115gr dtac bullets-awesome 1000y+ projectiles.

Yeah, but mention on any other shooting forum in the western world, that reloading isn't really available in Ireland, and they cannot get their heads around it.

Advertisement