Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hue in Bathroom with Extractor Fan

Options
  • 31-08-2017 8:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, Looking for some advice on my quest to replace all bulbs with Philips Hue!

Im down to the sitting room and 2 bathrooms just needing Hue bulbs now.

Ive small issue with the bathrooms, they both have extractor fans that come on when the light switchi is on. so as of now i cant replace the bulbs with HUe or else the fan will be running 24\7.

There is a switch above the door, where you can barely reach it, in both bathrooms. image attached.

Its not really possible for wife\kids to switch this on and off when needed as they cant reach it, so i need to change it for one with a string i think. that way i can leave the light switch on for the hue bulb, but only turn on the extractor fan when needed.

Is there a special type of string switch i need to replace this one with? i dont want to get the wrong one! A certain Amp switch required or whatever, does anyone know? Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's a 3 pole isolator, not really a switch if you know what I mean.

Largly speaking it's to remain on and switched off for maintenance on the fan.
    You could get a pull cord switch but it would need to be wired in after and in addition to the isolator. It would break the switched feed again between the fan and the light allowing the fan to be switched on or off any time if you left the light switch on.
    You'd need an electrician though to check where to connect it making sure the isolator killed everything when in the off position

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

ah ok, glad i checked now! thanks a lot. sounds like a lot of hassle just to have hue lights in there. ill have to have a think about this one!

Can you get fans that have on and off switches do you know?

Thanks for the advice.

Do you mean a fan with a pull cord ? You need the pull cord in the bathroom

Yeh like replace the fan on the wall with one with a pull cord on it. that way i wouldnt have to wire in the pull cord between the isolation switch and the fan. Just seems easier than getting an electrician etc if i can just replace the fan. ill have a look online myself now and check, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ah ok, glad i checked now! thanks a lot. sounds like a lot of hassle just to have hue lights in there. ill have to have a think about this one!

Thanks for the advice.

Can you not just switch off the fan? That's what I did in my house because they were so bloody loud when they were on.

• Advertisement

well one is an ensuite with a shower, no windows, so i need that one on. the other is a downstairs toilet with a window that doesnt open so kinda need that one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

well one is an ensuite with a shower, no windows, so i need that one on. the other is a downstairs toilet with a window that doesnt open so kinda need that one as well.

Is there a shower in the downstairs one?

I've windows in all my bathrooms so the noise wasn't worth it.

No shower no, but ive 3 kids to the fan is needed, its probably the most used toilet in the house!

Yeh like replace the fan on the wall with one with a pull cord on it. that way i wouldnt have to wire in the pull cord between the isolation switch and the fan. Just seems easier than getting an electrician etc if i can just replace the fan. ill have a look online myself now and check, thanks a lot.

eBay

Xpelair Gxc6 Kitchen Window Panel or Wall Extractor Fan With Pull Cord

Advertisement