Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodgers Legislation Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

There is none. A licensee/lodger in your home is a guest and there at your invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    There is none. A licensee/lodger in your home is a guest and there at your invitation.

And say I were to revoke said invitation with reasonable notice (verbally and via email, not a letter) It still is valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

And say I were to revoke said invitation with reasonable notice (verbally and via email, not a letter) It still is valid?

You could use the toe of your boot, if that was.how.you wanted to give notice :)

Would rather the peaceable option thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Would rather the peaceable option thanks :)

I'm curious. What problem are you having. I have lodgers so it's always good to know the types of problems people encounter.

• Advertisement

cronos wrote: »
    I'm curious. What problem are you having. I have lodgers so it's always good to know the types of problems people encounter.

It is indeed, think about it in the frame of a toddler throwing their toys out of a pram when they don't want to go home, despite the fact they've been told. Then apply it to a lodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

There is no format for notice at all. 'Reasonable notice' is subjective eg everything good with the lodger but you simple just need them to move for whatever reason I'd give notice in line with payment, they pay by month, 1 month notice, they pay by week, 1 weeks notice. But if you are removing them because of antisocial behavior or being aggressive then you can kick them out immediately.

The only recourse a lodger has on you is for retention of deposit through the small claims court, so if you're kicking them out cut your losses and return full deposit so avoid any court dealings.

It's your home, you make the rules!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/my-landlord-charged-me-30-to-get-my-passport-back-the-loophole-leaving-renters-exposed-36076570.html
    Interesting piece here, was a little surprised this didn't get a post here on boards. Let me just say I don't think this was handled by the homeowner very well but I would like to hear their side of the story too. It does proves that even the guards can't force you to allow someone access to your home. Licensee's have no rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, two weeks or a months notice can be reasonable...
    It is indeed, think about it in the frame of a toddler throwing their toys out of a pram when they don't want to go home, despite the fact they've been told. Then apply it to a lodger.
    ...but so can 24 hours if they're not being reasonable themselves.

Advertisement