Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for minding child

Options
  • 31-08-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I got offered a job minding a crèche going child for 3 days a week 12.30-5pm, minding in her own house. I have to collect her from crèche. What rates should I charge for this as I am unsure what fees are fair ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

As you are minding the child in her own home you are technically considered an employee. Therefore you are entitled to at least minimum wage (currently €9.25 per hour). The child's parents should register as employers with Revenue and they should pay employer's prsi for you.

Realistically this may not happen but minding a child in her own home comes at a cost for parents. I would be looking at €40 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm in a similar boat in that we are getting a lady to collect our 6 yr old child at school and mind til we get home. 2.45 until 6ish for three days, let's say average 10 hrs. She's a friend of the family so hasn't set a price and I don't want to be cheap. Is 100 decent or should I go higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

sweetie wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat in that we are getting a lady to collect our 6 yr old child at school and mind til we get home. 2.45 until 6ish for three days, let's say average 10 hrs. She's a friend of the family so hasn't set a price and I don't want to be cheap. Is 100 decent or should I go higher?

Is your child being minded in the minders home or your own?

As previous poster outlined if your children are being minded in their own home, the minder is your employee and entitled to minimum wage, payslips, annual leave etc.

However if the child is being minded in the minder's home, you are availing of a service and therefore the minder sets the rate. Usual rate for after school care is €5 per hour per child.

Advertisement