Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licencee refund or not?

Options
  • 31-08-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have had a licencee in my apartment who after pushing back their moving in date by a week moved in last Monday. By the time I had arrived home on Tuesday they had moved all of their belongings out of the apartment and left the key under the door. While I am aware that I will have to refund their deposit where do I stand in relation to the first months rent that I received.
    I now have to readvertise the room and it could be a while before the new licencee is set up to move in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My take on this would be to get a new licensee in as soon as possible and return the pro-rated amount of rent to the first licensee.

In other words, if you have a new licensee in place after one week, the. Return three weeks to the first one. You could also deduct advertising costs if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

navandiver wrote: »
    I have had a licencee in my apartment who after pushing back their moving in date by a week moved in last Monday. By the time I had arrived home on Tuesday they had moved all of their belongings out of the apartment and left the key under the door. While I am aware that I will have to refund their deposit where do I stand in relation to the first months rent that I received.
    I now have to readvertise the room and it could be a while before the new licencee is set up to move in.

did they tell you they were moving out or mention the rent/deposit to you?

what you described sounds like something that would happen if the licensee owed money and decided to leave without the owner knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 37 navandiver

They had literally only spent one night in the apartment and claimed that the noise from the road was too loud and they couldnt sleep! they havent mentioned if they will be back or anything but going by the key being left under the front door i dont expect to see them back!

Look for a new person straight away, you are entitled to deduct rent until you have a new person move in and refund anything left over after the new person starts paying rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

navandiver wrote: »
    They had literally only spent one night in the apartment and claimed that the noise from the road was too loud and they couldnt sleep! they havent mentioned if they will be back or anything but going by the key being left under the front door i dont expect to see them back!

If they haven't informed you that he/she was moving out, wait until he/she does, then refund the balance from that date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement