Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soda Farls

Options
  • 31-08-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello

I had a longing on me last weekend for a Soda Farl topped with a rasher and fried egg, but to my dismay I could not find any in any of the supermarkets that I tried.

I searched in, Dunnes, Supervalu, Aldi & Lidl. I even checked Tesco online and Soda Farls are not listed. All the supermarkets seem to stock is potato farls alright but the Soda Farl has become elusive.

I used to by them years ago, I think there was two in a pack.

Can anyone confirm if they are still available and if so where from

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Search under griddle bread, since that name can be used instead, but I haven't seen them in a while. If you have success let me know. I love a farl smothered in butter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Haven't seen a soda farl in tesco in over a year. Got some at the weekend in Marks and Spencer though :) Used to get the rankin ones in tesco over a year ago. Also have gotten the Rankin ones down in Nolans in Clontarf.

In theory making them is easy, in practise, I've only ever ended up w/ soggy bread and gunk all over my fingers. The M&S ones are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Can confirm their existence in M&S since I've just ate one. They're not bad, not great either. There is something missing but I'm not sure what. Maybe a lack of charring from pan. Will keep an additional eye out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Maldesu wrote: »
    Can confirm their existence in M&S since I've just ate one. They're not bad, not great either. There is something missing but I'm not sure what. Maybe a lack of charring from pan. Will keep an additional eye out
    Frying it on the cut side improves farls no end :) Then lob on a fried egg and some salt and pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

i used to get them in Tesco, where i actually had a choice between Rankin ones, and the less expensive Tesco own brand value ones.

Believe it or not, i much preferred the cheaper value Tesco own brand, as you got the charred edges which are to be found on the more traditional sodas.

Alas neither seem to be found now in Tesco, and I have taken to making my own (very occasionally) but its not really difficult tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement