Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a Espana - Stage 12 (31-Aug), Motril - Antequera Los Dolmenes (160.1 km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Video of the incident online now too

https://twitter.com/LorenaBanderas/status/903310197493522432

Crazy, first the AquaBlue bus and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Hopefully that a$$hole gets criminal charges pressed against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Horrific to watch that. You'd be worried other scumbags would do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There was a cop of some sort right there anyway and it doesn't look like that asshole could run far so I say he's well caught.

Just saw the ITV 4 highlights, it was actually a cop who pushed the guy who caused the motor bike crash

https://twitter.com/Laura_Meseguer/status/903305095936401408

• Advertisement

He's certainly caught. As I said, hopefully & surely there'll be criminal charges pressed against him but I wonder what would the charges comprise. Presumably he'd have to be treated pretty severely & deservedly so - very in terms of being a deterrent as well as the incident on its own terms - but what could the charge be. Pushing a guy off a fairly slow-moving bike wouldn't sound too serious in a court of law. That the Vuelta has been policed so well in terms of crowd control the last few years shows they are serious about the race being policed properly and the crowds behaving themselves so be interesting to know what follows.

And just saw the separate incident via Enfilade of the cop pushing the fan. What the hell did he think he was doing pushing him into the road like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

pelevin wrote: »
    but what could the charge be. Pushing a guy off a fairly slow-moving bike wouldn't sound too serious in a court of law.

Assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

What was that headcase priest charged with?

And WTF was that other cop thinking, Yin and Yang within a few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

And just saw the separate incident via Enfilade of the cop pushing the fan. What the hell did he think he was doing pushing him into the road like that?!

i think he was trying more to push him off the road rather than on it just st that the idiot stumbled and fell onto the road

• Advertisement

Keeks wrote: »
    i think he was trying more to push him off the road rather than on it just st that the idiot stumbled and fell onto the road

The 'idiot' is not the idiot. He wasn't that close to the cyclists and the cop pushing him was only going to end up with him being pushed in front of the cyclists or as happened, another vehicle.

You don't try clear someone from the road by pushing them from one side to the other. It's not his fault he got hit by a motorbike and then fell to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Patrick Lefevere
    Best push of the year had to be the cop on the tour pushing tne fat lad into the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Two really bad incidents of pushing, but it always just reminds of this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

If you like pushing then a job with these Spanish police is for you....they take no prisoners either ...can't see the gardai getting waay with half of what they do

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Guardia Civil make the Gendarmerie look like shopping centre security guards.

There's a joke in Spain, where two aliens land on earth one night to collect items that may tell them more about humanity. One of them finds a traditional, Guardia Civil "tricornio" cap on the ground.

"What's that?"
    "I don't know," says the other. "Maybe its some kind of cooking pot?"
    "Nah, it's hardly that. It wouldn't hold water."
    "Perhaps it's a shoe?"
    "Have you ever seen a human with a foot shaped like that?"
    "Anyway, I don't know what it is," says the first one, sticking it on top of his head, "but all of a sudden I feel like kicking the crap out of someone".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

The chap who pushed Belkov has Down's Syndrome, apparently. It was his Dad trying to stop him push. A very unfortunate incident.

D9Male wrote: »
    The chap who pushed Belkov has Down's Syndrome, apparently. It was his Dad trying to stop him push. A very unfortunate incident.

I was thinking later it probably had to be some mental issue involved. An unfortuntate issue all right but at least minor both in its significance in racing terms & injuries to Belkov.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eros Capecchi
    I'm still a bit gobsmacked this morning after watching those videos last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think it should be noted that Froome's troubles which he pretty much got away with came because of Contador's aggression. We dunno about Froome's first problem but certainly there'd have been little reason to be pushing it and crash the second time only there was pressure to get back on. Bit like the Giro Nibali beat Kruiswijk where the pressure of Nibali brought about Kwk's crash.
    Think this was completely overlooked in the (albeit Brit-centric) coverage I saw. They would've been carrying on the easy day only for Bert going off the front.

Sky got out of a hole of their own making - they didn't actually need to chase down Bert at all. Then the rest of the GC guys proved themselves to be losers in my opinion by not going all in. Nibali interupted Friebe on the ITV4 coverage to defend them racing, when I'd say the question was going to be why they hadn't feckin raced.

This sport is really going to miss Contador. Dan Martin might actually be the one to step up as the only one prepared to lose to win!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Think this was completely overlooked in the (albeit Brit-centric) coverage I saw. They would've been carrying on the easy day only for Bert going off the front.

Sky got out of a hole of their own making - they didn't actually need to chase down Bert at all. Then the rest of the GC guys proved themselves to be losers in my opinion by not going all in. Nibali interupted Friebe on the ITV4 coverage to defend them racing, when I'd say the question was going to be why they hadn't feckin raced.

This sport is really going to miss Contador. Dan Martin might actually be the one to step up as the only one prepared to lose to win!

Agree with all this. Froome's crashes - he said both incidents were crashes in corners - were part of the dynamic of racing where Sky are pushing a pace to contain or catch Contador who has attacked. Imagine if Formula 1 racers slowed down because of the race leader having a minor crash!

And like you say the question was far more why Nibali's group didn't press on hard rather than the other way round. There's no way Froome could have lost only 20 seconds or so after 2 crashes if they had properly driven on.

Also it brought to mind the 1971 TdF (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Tour_de_France) where it appeared Luis Ocana would beat the invincible Merckx after Merckx lost 8 minutes or so after stomach issues. Ocana eventually retired hurt after a heavy fall during a downpour in a corner where Merckx himself had just crashed. I think Merckx later said he felt that in a sense, rather than getting lucky, through his relentless attacking he had made it very possible Ocana's losing because of the pressure he was applying, & which he felt was wearing Ocana down psychologically.

That's the thing about the way Contador races - the attacks provide kinetic energy where things can happen like Froome's crashes yday or the Vuelta win last year for Quintana. He's asking questions that have to be responded to. If there's no question, there's no need to respond! Great to see Dan Martin have similar spirit in how he races. For people like them there's far more to racing than simply a result. It's life in action vs - to use the obvious counterpoint - the machine of organisation of say Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Meant to also add, that some analysis would suggest formigal was set up in the days leading up to it - Sky were knackered and more susceptible. Bert also added a bit more fatigue to key Sky domestiques, and obviously Froome with how it played out yesterday.

Advertisement