Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Bray to Kilmacanogue - New Bollards

Options
  • 31-08-2017 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I know the N11 is a very popular training route particularly at weekends.

There are new traffic bollards at the Herbert Road Exit which takes you from the left lane onto the Herbert Road.

This forces you either into the traffic flow or play dodge the bollard but could be very messy if in a group with the head down.

It's the exit with the church on it at the bottom of the incline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They look like they're just segregating the two lanes.

Are you saying they're protruding onto the N11 shoulder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The hard shoulder becomes the left turning lane and cars in this lane have no option but to go onto Herbert Road because of the bollards.

Cyclists can either go out into Lane 1 with the bollards to their left or pick a gap and ride through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

trad wrote: »
    Cyclists can either go out into Lane 1 with the bollards to their left or pick a gap and ride through them.

That sounds fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The hard shoulder becomes the left turning lane and cars in this lane have no option but to go onto Herbert Road because of the bollards.
    Good. I live at the top of Herbert Road and use that junction a lot to turn left (southbound) onto the N11.

You wouldn't believe the number of times a car, or worse still, truck, decides at the last minute that they didn't want that junction after all and plough straight across the triangular cross hatches at full tilt meeting a car that's trying to turn left and accelerate up the slip road to merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's always been the case with that exit and all exits. Eventually the hard shoulder ends and you join the exit lane. the hard shoulder isn't a cycle lane but tends to lend itself well for the purpose at times.

It shouldn't be taken any differently and it's hardly dodge the bollard just go through them at the end. If you're riding in a large group you should be filtering right of the bollards into lane 1 well before this point.

No more dodgy than if you were to arrive at the junction with a car mergin onto the N11 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wouldnt cycle on that stretch of road if i was a cyclist and could avoid it. Its just a death trap in waiting. Hate that section of road the 2 lanes for traffic are narrow as it is why would i want to put myself and my bike on it

NO thanks!

If I thought this wouldn't be an issue for cyclists I wouldn't be posting this.

This is just a safety warning, interpret as you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If I thought this wouldn't be an issue for cyclists I wouldn't be posting this.

This is just a safety warning, interpret as you will.

If you can't negotiate bollards at an exit then you probably shouldn't be on the N11 in the first place. As another mentioned already why you would want to be on that section of road is beyond me.

If anything the bollards should cut down on the number of lads diving for the exit last minute as they notice the build up at the south exit.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you can't negotiate bollards at an exit then you probably shouldn't be on the N11 in the first place. As another mentioned already why you would want to be on that section of road is beyond me.

I give up.

Goodbye boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Switching lanes at the last minute to exit, at speed, has caused the death of at least one cyclist this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Switching lanes at the last minute to exit, at speed, has caused the death of at least one cyclist this year.

"At least one" of the 10 killed? Evidence? I can see no such description in this article about the 10.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-10-cyclists-killed-on-our-roads-to-date-this-year-1.3128356

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MOD FACE ON - sorry folks - we won't be able to have any talk or speculation about the cause of any of the recent deaths - MOD FACE OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks OP.

I think the key part of the original post, is that these bollards are new, and might come as an unexpected surprise to a group on their Sunday ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Thanks OP.

I think the key part of the original post, is that these bollards are new, and might come as an unexpected surprise to a group on their Sunday ride.

Partly, but generally it sounds to me as if it's a design fault:
    This forces you either into the traffic flow or play dodge the bollard but could be very messy if in a group with the head down.

It sounds as if it needs a cycle lane that circumvents the bollards on their left. Any photos of them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the herbert road exit is the really abrupt one, isn't it? i wonder if this is partly a traffic calming measure - i assume the bollards give a visual cue as to how tight the bend is - plenty of motorists who wouldn't be familiar with it might still be carrying a lot of speed into it, which as it's also carrying oncoming traffic, would be risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

the herbert road exit is the really abrupt one, isn't it? i wonder if this is partly a traffic calming measure - i assume the bollards give a visual cue as to how tight the bend is - plenty of motorists who wouldn't be familiar with it might still be carrying a lot of speed into it, which as it's also carrying oncoming traffic, would be risky.
    The whole Fassaroe to Kilmac bridge is a bit of clusterf*ck really (both sides). Legacy junctions that should've been dealt with way back, but now the whole area can't cope with modern day volumes. Really needs separated auxillary lanes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is an insane run of junctions coming towards south bray. Enniskerry lane expects vehicles to jump in after a 90degree bend and instead of leaving a left lane for the many cars that simply go into Bray, make them merge over into traffic only to come out again momentarily. The switchback at the two roads before the South Bray southbound entrance are also mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it is planned (eventually) to put aux lanes in and close all the junctions between J6 Fassaroe and J7 Bray South.

(I hate cycling on the N11, I suppose if you're in a group it means you don't have traffic building up behind you, but apart from that it's horrible to cycle on).

Advertisement