Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd year student staying with a 3rd and 4th year?

• 31-08-2017 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a place in student accommodation (Dunaras). It'll be a sharing room, but it's empty at the minute.

The 2 others in the house are a 3rd and a 4th year student.
    I'll be going into second.

I'm first on the waiting list for menlow too and pretty high up for Gort na Coiribe..
    I'm also 40 minutes on the train into Galway so I could commute.

Do any others have a similar experience sharing with older student?
    I imagine the 4th year will be very busy..
    I just don't want to be excluded from the others staying in Dunaras, I'd like to get to know other students my own age, go to parties and all of that.
    I got to know everyone last year through my old housemates and I'll still meet up with them for nights out etc but it won't always be possible.

So has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Am I better off holding out for the other places I'm on the waiting list for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Why would staying with 3rd and 4th years stop you making friends? It's not like they're in their 50s, they'll be very close in age to you. I'd actually think it'd be more unusual to only be staying with people in the same year as you unless you're a first year - they try to keep them together/away from everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

TheBiz wrote: »
    I have been offered a place in student accommodation (Dunaras). It'll be a sharing room, but it's empty at the minute.

The 2 others in the house are a 3rd and a 4th year student.
    I'll be going into second.

I'm first on the waiting list for menlow too and pretty high up for Gort na Coiribe..
    I'm also 40 minutes on the train into Galway so I could commute.

Do any others have a similar experience sharing with older student?
    I imagine the 4th year will be very busy..
    I just don't want to be excluded from the others staying in Dunaras, I'd like to get to know other students my own age, go to parties and all of that.
    I got to know everyone last year through my old housemates and I'll still meet up with them for nights out etc but it won't always be possible.

So has anyone been in a similar situation?
    Am I better off holding out for the other places I'm on the waiting list for?
    Why would you have an issue with sharing with older students?
    Final years would be busy but you wouldn't be excluded because of them and what their activities are unless you want to be excluded. Considering the issue with accommodation in Galway id take the place as who knows what you could get if you turned this place down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Why would you have an issue with sharing with older students?
    Final years would be busy but you wouldn't be excluded because of them and what their activities are unless you want to be excluded. Considering the issue with accommodation in Galway id take the place as who knows what you could get if you turned this place down.

I've heard a lot of the older students in Dunaras are Erasmus students too but besides that final year students are far more focused on their degree than first or second years, I've known a lot of 2nd years who were friendly with first years, the only older students I knew went to my school.

I just think there's a bit of a divide between early year students and final year students..

I'm first up for menlow park.. I've friends in Gort too, there's apparently a couple of 2nd and 3rd year students for menlow who have not checked in yet, when I rang they said it's possible they won't be continuing on, if they did not get the results today to pass.. so they said they'd know into next week, it would mean getting a bus in and home for the first while which I'm not fond of but still..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Why would staying with 3rd and 4th years stop you making friends? It's not like they're in their 50s, they'll be very close in age to you. I'd actually think it'd be more unusual to only be staying with people in the same year as you unless you're a first year - they try to keep them together/away from everyone else.

It's just because the accommodation is predominantly younger years, if I was in a house with 2nd years or 1st years I'd imagine it would be easier to find parties, meet people, make friends, get to know neighbours, I can't imagine 3rd and 4th year students being too keen to make a lot of 1st year (or 2nd year) friends.

I know a girl who stayed there for 1st year, she said the older years didn't talk to them at all, that 2 houses near them were older students and they didn't talk.. also that they're mainly erasmus students.

I'd probably get somewhere else but it would mean commuting for 2 weeks or so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I think this divide is imaginary tbh, as long as you respect the fact that they might want to be a bit more studious and not be throwing parties/playing music loud at 3AM I don't see why there would be an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement