Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New T/A Aer Lingus Fares

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This was inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It appears to compete with Norwegian and that's enough, everyone who hears about this will assume it's in response to the new competition and that will attract enough attention to keep yield pressure on Norwegian without Aer Lingus losing out on much themselves. 

It could be seen as them testing the waters for a more significant no frills fares across the Atlantic but I think that's a way off. I doubt Aer Lingus are feeling the pinch from Norwegian quite as much as many predicted and they won't make any considerable changes to their fare and cabin classes until they do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »
    This was inevitable
    I thought so too. US carriers have already introduced so called 'economy minus' fares. Perhaps this is a reaction to those? Could also be timed to garner a little more business over the upcoming winter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It appears to compete with Norwegian and that's enough, everyone who hears about this will assume it's in response to the new competition and that will attract enough attention to keep yield pressure on Norwegian without Aer Lingus losing out on much themselves. 

It could be seen as them testing the waters for a more significant no frills fares across the Atlantic but I think that's a way off. I doubt Aer Lingus are feeling the pinch from Norwegian quite as much as many predicted and they won't make any considerable changes to their fare and cabin classes until they do.

I agree, they have cut the gap to around €50 quid difference (typical November date comparison) and DY have a big seal at the minute and have kept the meal option as part of the saver fare. It's enough attract passengers who would for example not be prepared to pay 450 return over 250-300 with DY,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-announces-new-lowcost-transatlantic-fares-with-paid-bags-seats-and-blankets-36087918.html

Hopefully it will sustain a strong enough fight against norwegian to push them out the market place, then we can have a return to normality. Transatlantic flying as it should be. The thing that many do not realise is that this ryanair type stuff on long haul does not actually work to the benefit of the passenger. The one thing every passenger seems to want is the lowest fares possible for the highest quality of service, ignoring the fact that the two simply do not go together. Airlines need to actually make money on what their selling to cover their cost base, I do wonder where Aer Lingus will be taking the hit here but hopefully they don't go for the staff like norwegian have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I can't seem to get the saver rate on my searches. Is there something like a min stay etc?

TheDriver wrote: »
    I can't seem to get the saver rate on my searches. Is there something like a min stay etc?

Looks like a website glitch, try refreshing your browser when you do a search.

Also your trip must include a Saturday night stay to get a saver fare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Why doesn't it work in the benefit of the passenger? Maybe not for you but it would for others. I want to pay for a flight only. I don't want nasty airline food it isn't good for you, I can travel on hand luggage only, I don't care about a blanket or headphones. I'll bring my own power bank and tablet. Some people are far less maintenance and can sit there for 7 hours without a bother without expecting high quality service. Nobody is forcing you to fly Norwegian. You are more than welcome to pay 600 euro return if you like. I'd like the option of Norwegian because the end result will be the same for all of us no matter who we fly with. We get where we want to be.

Yep monopolies and less choice for consumers always leads to benefits to customers 🙄. This is pure EI fan boy nonsense.

You don't like Norwegian/Ryanair that fine their product may not suit you, maybe it suits someone else or puts travel in their reach of those that can't afford EI prices or can live without some of the differences in service on a 6 hour flight.

Personally I would rather pay the current prices on DUB to LDN rather than the pre competition prices. Happily I would use FR over EI on 90-95% of European routes if they were cheaper.

For US from DUB I would probably start with EI or Delta but that's just me. I don't labour under the illusion that this pricing change is not in response to Increased competition on US routes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Also your trip must include a Saturday night stay to get a saver fare

One of the oldest tricks in the book, these fares clearly are not aimed at those travelling for work or most other non-leisure related activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Works now. Pity it's only a 23kg bag. Sat night is total lemon. Must be a nightmare for cabin crew giving out blankets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years. It is no longer possible to get what for ease of description I'll call a "full fare" product for most European destinations from Ireland. Those of us that would rather pay a bit more for a higher quality of service no longer have that option.

It'd be a shame if the same became true with transatlantic crossings.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Noxegon wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years. It is no longer possible to get what for ease of description I'll call a "full fare" product for most European destinations from Ireland. Those of us that would rather pay a bit more for a higher quality of service no longer have that option.

It'd be a shame if the same became true with transatlantic crossings.

Actually - you can go all over Europe with Lufthansa or SWISS from Dublin via their hubs at Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich and Geneva in Business Class.

They often have business saver fares available at not unreasonable prices.

1123heavy wrote: »
    One of the oldest tricks in the book, these fares clearly are not aimed at those travelling for work or most other non-leisure related activities.

Of course it's not, it will just cater for some lower yielding who might be attracted to DY.

I think it's a positive move overall.
    Works now. Pity it's only a 23kg bag. Sat night is total lemon. Must be a nightmare for cabin crew giving out blankets

I make off they will just allocate all saver fares in the middle at the back so might not be a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

1123heavy wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-announces-new-lowcost-transatlantic-fares-with-paid-bags-seats-and-blankets-36087918.html

Hopefully it will sustain a strong enough fight against norwegian to push them out the market place, then we can have a return to normality. Transatlantic flying as it should be. The thing that many do not realise is that this ryanair type stuff on long haul does not actually work to the benefit of the passenger. The one thing every passenger seems to want is the lowest fares possible for the highest quality of service, ignoring the fact that the two simply do not go together. Airlines need to actually make money on what their selling to cover their cost base, I do wonder where Aer Lingus will be taking the hit here but hopefully they don't go for the staff like norwegian have.

I hope it dont push Norwegian out of the marketplace. More choice more competition the better. You can choose to fly Aer Lingus or Norwegian different strokes for different folks. This can only be a good thing bringing down the cost of travel for us all. I just got back from flying Norwegian on their 787 from JFK to LGW I did it in premium the cabin crew were fantastic they came down to my level to ask what we wanted etc. Was much more personal service than I ever got from Aer Lingus BA or United. Their rewards scheme is fab too I got enough points out of it for a free economy low fare + which I am taking them up on.

Fair play to both Aer Lingus with this and Norwegian long may the competition continue long gone are the days of monopoly there are more low cost carriers to come Transatlantic

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Actually - you can go all over Europe with Lufthansa or SWISS from Dublin via their hubs at Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich and Geneva in Business Class.

I was referring to non-stop destinations.

Yes, you can do FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA, and I guess AMS too now – but there are loads more places where it's economy or nothing unless you fancy a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

LXFlyer wrote: »

I was referring to non-stop destinations.

Yes, you can do FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA, and I guess AMS too now – but there are loads more places where it's economy or nothing unless you fancy a connection.
    That's the Irish market, I mean where else would there be considerable demand for a business class product in Europe? When Aer Lingus had Premier Europe their network pretty much only consisted of the cities you've already listed and the European legacies have filled that gap.

There's a few more business class options like HEL and ATH as well so the product is available on a reasonable network out of DUB.

If demand is there, the product will remain. I don't see standard full service Economy going anywhere for quite a while on long haul from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

That's the Irish market, I mean where else would there be considerable demand for a business class product in Europe? When Aer Lingus had Premier Europe their network pretty much only consisted of the cities you've already listed and the European legacies have filled that gap.

There's a few more business class options like HEL and ATH as well so the product is available on a reasonable network out of DUB.

If demand is there, the product will remain. I don't see standard full service Economy going anywhere for quite a while on long haul from Ireland.

If you take Lisbon for example you can fly TAP Portugal business class to a wide range of European destinations. Lisbon is more comparable to Dublin population wise and yet there are far more full-service economy and business class flights to European destinations.

I don't need business class – just premium economy.
    I appreciate I'm in the minority for the Irish market, but I'd happily pay a 20% premium to fly short haul with 34" pitch, a free coffee, and no in-flight sales pitch on the PA. Sadly that may be a pipe dream.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I appreciate I'm in the minority for the Irish market, but I'd happily pay a 20% premium to fly short haul with 34" pitch, a free coffee, and no in-flight sales pitch on the PA. Sadly that may be a pipe dream.
    Sadly it is, because the Irish population got a taste of low frills air travel and lapped it up and now it's all we know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm of the same opinion as you. I am usually willing to pay more for airlines like Lufthansa, Swiss and CityJet (which can often be cheaper anyway). Good luck with getting a 34" seat pitch though!

There is very little choice in Ireland other than connecting. If Aer Lingus were less low-cost orientated there would be a good selection of destinations. The point I was making in my post above is that it's not just the main hubs like Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, Munich etc, there are lots of other hubs of similar or even lesser passenger numbers than Dublin that are served by full-service carriers like Lisbon (TAP), Warsaw (LOT), Athens (Aegean) and Vienna (Austrian). These airlines would not have particularly large connection sales either in comparison to AF/KL/LH.

I know airlines like Luxair would get a lot of business travellers but Lisbon isn't exactly in the same category yet TAP is still a full-service airline.

BA got rid of their free on-board snacks/drinks recently enough. I don't think airlines like BA should be trying to compete with the likes of Ryanair/easyJet. It's not as if their fares have come down and it reduces options for people who don't want to fly low-cost carriers. People might actually be willing to pay a bit extra if they knew that the service was better.

VG31 wrote: »
    I'm of the same opinion as you. I am usually willing to pay more for airlines like Lufthansa, Swiss and CityJet (which can often be cheaper anyway). Good luck with getting a 34" seat pitch though!

Well indeed. I did say it was a pipe dream :)

Meanwhile I am currently sitting in a 10-across 777 over the Czech Republic en route to DXB. I can type on my laptop, but only because my partner shows remarkable tolerance for protruding elbows. Leg room is okay, but shoulder room... not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone travel "Saver Fare" yet? We're off next month and just wondering what to expect. Didn't need a bag, will be fine without the blanket, I assume a regular iPhone headphones will suffice to use the entertainment system? Also, any differences in the food/beverages offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone travel "Saver Fare" yet? We're off next month and just wondering what to expect. Didn't need a bag, will be fine without the blanket, I assume a regular iPhone headphones will suffice to use the entertainment system? Also, any differences in the food/beverages offered?

Normal headphones will work on 5 of the A330s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The race to the bottom for ultra cheap fares with less than zero frills continues.

Just when you think that airlines can't go any lower someone comes up with another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

The race to the bottom for ultra cheap fares with less than zero frills continues.

Just when you think that airlines can't go any lower someone comes up with another option.

I dread to think where it's going

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

"The race to the bottom for ultra cheap fares with less than zero frills continues."

"Just when you think that airlines can't go any lower someone comes up with another option."

"I dread to think where it's going".
    I assume from these comments that you can afford to pay the higher T/A fares so what is your objection to lower fares with no frills when that is what folk who can't afford the higher fares want and are taking up?

From what we are being told, Aer Lingus is having a ball on T/A with even more routes planned and good luck to them.

So, who is actually losing out because of low fares with no frills? I don't hear anything about Norwegian pilots being unhappy with their lot due to their company's low fares. In fact, from all accounts, hundreds of other pilots can't wait to join them.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I assume from these comments that you can afford to pay the higher T/A fares so what is your objection to lower fares with no frills when that is what folk who can't afford the higher fares want and are taking up?

From what we are being told, Aer Lingus is having a ball on T/A with even more routes planned and good luck to them.

So, who is actually losing out because of low fares with no frills? I don't hear anything about Norwegian pilots being unhappy with their lot due to their company's low fares. In fact, from all accounts, hundreds of other pilots can't wait to join them.

My concerns would be the damage that these fares will do to economy fares. In time the standard economy service will seem like pure luxury compared to this class and Y fares will go up to offset the basic y. I don't want to see airlines sell standard y as some sort of higher class of y.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

john boye wrote: »
    My concerns would be the damage that these fares will do to economy fares. In time the standard economy service will seem like pure luxury compared to this class and Y fares will go up to offset the basic y. I don't want to see airlines sell standard y as some sort of higher class of y.
    I'm really struggling to understand that logic. We are in an age where all of the traditional ways of doing business are being challenged and turned around. That is what the "buyer" wants and nothing else matters if you want to start up or stay in business.

On T/A we now have multiple choices not only between airlines but within each airline itself. If you want to travel First/Business there's options at that level and if you only want a seat and nothing else you have it. Plus all that is in between means everyone can travel at their right price. I can't for the life of me see anything wrong with that at all. You pays your money and you take your choice.

• Advertisement

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to understand that logic. We are in an age where all of the traditional ways of doing business are being challenged and turned around. That is what the "buyer" wants and nothing else matters if you want to start up or stay in business.

On T/A we now have multiple choices not only between airlines but within each airline itself. If you want to travel First/Business there's options at that level and if you only want a seat and nothing else you have it. Plus all that is in between means everyone can travel at their right price. I can't for the life of me see anything wrong with that at all. You pays your money and you take your choice.

Don't get me wrong, more people can fly l/h now and that can only be a good thing. But surely you can see the opportunity here for airlines to weaken their economy offerings? Do you really think they won't try to charge more for standard economy as these no-frills fares become more established?

Advertisement