Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New T/A Aer Lingus Fares

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I assume from these comments that you can afford to pay the higher T/A fares so what is your objection to lower fares with no frills when that is what folk who can't afford the higher fares want and are taking up?

From what we are being told, Aer Lingus is having a ball on T/A with even more routes planned and good luck to them.

So, who is actually losing out because of low fares with no frills? I don't hear anything about Norwegian pilots being unhappy with their lot due to their company's low fares. In fact, from all accounts, hundreds of other pilots can't wait to join them.

I don't understand the begrudgery that you have those who want more than a piece of wood to sit on for 8 plus hours. I certainly can afford to pay the higher prices and do on occasion but I am a savvy traveller and will research my travel plans. Basic economy is becoming the norm and in another year or two those prices will increase and that level of service will decrease further.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I don't understand the begrudgery that you have those who want more than a piece of wood to sit on for 8 plus hours. I certainly can afford to pay the higher prices and do on occasion but I am a savvy traveller and will research my travel plans. Basic economy is becoming the norm and in another year or two those prices will increase and that level of service will decrease further.
    This debate is going fine without you putting labels on me. Can you not have a discussion without inventing things about another who holds a different opinion. I don't have any "begrudgery". I'm unlikely to ever want to go T/A again but if it was to happen I am lucky enough not to have to go with the very cheap fares now on offer and, if it was a one-off trip, I'd most likely aim to hit the "big time", at least one way. However, there are plenty of people out there who would have no other choice but to go "cheap". It could be inferred from your position that you are the one "begrudging" them that opportunity but I stop short of actually accusing you of doing so.

In order to remain viable, businesses have to continually adjust to suit the current or predicted situation(s). That's business. For way too long the airline industry was (comfortably) set in its expensive ways but, thankfully, they've been reined in.
    But surely you can see the opportunity here for airlines to weaken their economy offerings? Do you really think they won't try to charge more for standard economy as these no-frills fares become more established?
    I don't know the answer to that but, even if they do, so what? The greater good must come first, i.e., that T/A flight is available to all.

The term "race to the bottom" has an implication in it that some things in life should be always left unavailable to the riff-raff.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I'm unlikely to ever want to go T/A again.

Hang on, are you involved in a debate that you have no vested interest in? What is the point in that? Economy and basic economy fares are of particular interest to me especially when it comes to the hard product offered as I go TA about 5-6 times a year.

Forget begrudgery, now I think you are just trolling. Genuinely confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's the same seat/meal/view/entertainment, I'm saving €50 for not getting a bloody blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Hang on, are you involved in a debate that you have no vested interest in?

Are you saying that someone has to have a vested interest in order to take part in a debate or express an opinion? After 40 plus years of debating that's a new one, I have to admit.
    Forget begrudgery, now I think you are just trolling.
    Ah, the old fallback (insults) when you run out of valid counter-opinions. You were the one who brought up "begrudgery".

If you come back with proper debating opinions I will discuss further with you but not until then.

• Advertisement

Hang on, are you involved in a debate that you have no vested interest in? What is the point in that? Economy and basic economy fares are of particular interest to me especially when it comes to the hard product offered as I go TA about 5-6 times a year.

Forget begrudgery, now I think you are just trolling. Genuinely confused now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and entitled to express it as well.

The vast majority of my trips this year I’ve flown short haul with no bag required. But next year I’ve plans for two long haul trips. One I don’t need a hold bag but I’m flying for 12 hours and want the seat (WT+) and the second is sub 7 hours where I don’t want the seat but need the bag. The ability to mix and match the offering and save a few quid on the frills would be nice.

Irrespective of your opinion which won’t change the direction the airline industry is going. Hell personally I’d like the old model where you paid a flat fee that includes everything.

Have we all forgotten we are still paying EI a ridiculous fuel surcharge during a lowish oil price period ? EI certainly think we have and we all act like we have so they still charge it. EI could eliminate that fuel surcharge and bring all economy fares back in balance and we would all save money but still have the “frills”.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's the same seat/meal/view/entertainment, I'm saving €50 for not getting a bloody blanket.

You will get a seat but it probably will be a middle seat somewhere. If you're happy with things like that or no bag then fine.

The American punters carry all but the kitchen sink in their carry on but I am sure the carriers will soon reduce that ton5 or 7kg in the near future.

Advertisement