Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skins open water - anyone still out there?

• 31-08-2017 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Hi there, lovely time of the year for swimming, find the evenings more inviting than the mornings and the water just a smidge warmer!
    Heading out tonight for 2k in the lake and did an event in the sea last Friday night. I do 3 or 4 nights a week in the open water.
    Anyone else swimming skins? I reckon I have another 3 weeks before I'll have to don the dreaded suit or even worse the pool!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

September just might the best month for OW. Jellies retreat and the water retains the heat. I'd say darkness will make you stop before the water temp does. If you do keep swimming you will get used to the drop in temp because it happens so gradually (though your swims will get shorter). A lake might change quicker than the sea due to physics but for the sea the old guys I swim with reckon mid March is when the temps are at there lowest so now is when they are warmest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Still happily swimming away in skins, 4 or 5 times a week. Have a 10km swim next weekend - sea temp around these parts just about holding a very balmy 18c!

Planning on going throughout winter as much as possible, aiming to swim lake Windermere next summer (17km) so want to be nice and acclimatised.

If you ever find yourself on the south coast of England there are some fantastic swimming spots around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Still swimming in skins here too. Did the Glin triathlon on Saturday for which I had to wear a wetsuit and it was so warm in the water. I couldn't wait to take the darn suit off. I'll probably put it back on end of September I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think the water is lovely at the moment. Did 3k in Seapoint on Saturday and I wasn't a bit cold getting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Did 1k in the lake last night, Jaysus the temp has dropped since Sunday!
    Have one last swim on Sunday and I'll be heading indoors then I reckon or grabbing the wetsuit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Went for a swim in Limerick city on Monday evening and there was a noticeable difference from two weeks ago. It took me a lot longer to warm up afterwards then it normally does but was lovely in the water once you got moving. Also helped that it was a lovely, sunny evening! I reckon I'll push the wetsuit out for another few weeks yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Seapoint lovely again this afternoon, once you get going. Did notice cold toes for longer when I go out though! A flask of coffee was nice post swim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dapower

My goal is to swim each month from Jan to Dec...going well so far, love the sea. Temps lovely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Nice temps out at 40ft today. Did the 3 buoys and back. No shaking after it.

• Advertisement

Decided to live up to my username and get back into the water after a long layoff.

Did Seapoint last Saturday around high water. Out to 3rd buoy and back, about 850 metres so I was happy with that.

Found the water temperature perfect and as madm says no shaking or shivering after. Will try 40ft next Saturday around same time as it will be low tide so no water in Seapoint!!

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Decided to live up to my username and get back into the water after a long layoff.

Did Seapoint last Saturday around high water. Out to 3rd buoy and back, about 850 metres so I was happy with that.

Found the water temperature perfect and as madm says no shaking or shivering after. Will try 40ft next Saturday around same time as it will be low tide so no water in Seapoint!!

Try and get there for 12pm.....Nice crowd from Glenalbyn meet up there for swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 Nimrod69

Hi there,
    just took up ows 2 weeks ago chilly here in fermanagh but sticking at it ... aim is to swim as much as possible until it get too cold ... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Was in at low rock yesterday, did 1.2k, felt cold. Was in at bull wall today, did 1k and felt warmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭martin6651

I swim skins 365 got in an hour today in Blackrock Galway.

martin6651 wrote: »
    I swim skins 365 got in an hour today in Blackrock Galway.

Martin you are a man of steel....fairplay

Seaswimmer wrote: »

mad m wrote: »
    Try and get there for 12pm.....Nice crowd from Glenalbyn meet up there for swim.

Made the 40ft but earlier about 8.30. Managed to slog down to Bullock against the tide and came back much quicker. Probably aim for 40ft towards pier this Saturday to get benefit of tide on return..

Water still very pleasant.

Yeah was there today at 10am...lovely water, nice little chop on way around to FF....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Was in at low rock this morning, very strong tide and im starting to fell it drop in temp. Did 30mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Was in yesterday too. Amazing that it's still relatively comfortable to swim in skins in November. Although I did feel a noticeable drop even from last weekend as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement