Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Phonewatch to Self Monitoring

• 31-08-2017 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    Moved into a house which previously subscribed to PW, I want to use the alarm but not monitored as don't want to pay monthly fees.
    It is a Simon XT installed in 2012 (there are sensors on every window and door and motion detectors in the hall and landing. I have signed the waiver and received the engineers code, just not sure what to do with it.
    Is it worth calling someone out to reprogram it or should I be able to do it myself? I will only be setting the alarm when I am outside of the house so is it possible to receive a text or phonecall (Would i need to put a sim card in it or get a landline) if its set off and is possible to remotely turn it off then? Can it just be used as a normal alarm without me doing anything?
    I realise some of these questions have been asked before but the more I read the more confused I get!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

I suggest you request the manual for your system - see request manuals - in this forum. Read through and decide for yourself if you can reprogram it.
    If you have a modicum of programming experience you should be okay but some of the terminology can be confusing.

If you are unsure then get expert advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cerco wrote: »
    I suggest you request the manual for your system .

http://www.phonewatch.ie/uploads/wireless-xt-user-manual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8 noddia

cheers guys, had a read of the manual and removed the phone numbers so hopefully that stops it beeping (doing this every 12 hours trying to connect to phonewatch monitoring centre I think. Also turned the piezo trouble beeps off so hopefully that stops the alarm being irritating.
    Unfortunately I don't possess any programming experience will have a think about getting a professional to look at it.
    What are peoples opinions on monitored verses self monitored? I think it is only an internal alarm so seems a bit pointless to self monitor it?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭altor

noddia wrote: »
    cheers guys, had a read of the manual and removed the phone numbers so hopefully that stops it beeping (doing this every 12 hours trying to connect to phonewatch monitoring centre I think. Also turned the piezo trouble beeps off so hopefully that stops the alarm being irritating.
    Unfortunately I don't possess any programming experience will have a think about getting a professional to look at it.
    What are peoples opinions on monitored verses self monitored? I think it is only an internal alarm so seems a bit pointless to self monitor it?

Thanks

These systems are more so aimed at monitoring by a central station.
    They can be set up to ring your phone and your point re not having an external bell is valid. It works out cheaper to install a dummy than a real one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

The type of system you have installed is designed for central station monitoring.
    Should a person decide to disconnect their monitoring then the system is not really very effective as all you have in the event of an activation is an internal siren unit which will hardly be noticed outside of your home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 glenn_sweeney

Hi,

I have the Simon 3 (again, it was in the house when we moved in from previous owners). At the time I tried getting the engineer code from PhoneWatch and they wouldn't give it out.
    We have used it as a standalone alarm for a few years now but a sensor has gone faulty and is intermittently tripping the alarm. Is there any way I can get the engineer code or do I have to do a full reset?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

You purchased the house, the intruder alarm system was a fixture, therefore you have also purchased that, so it is your property.
    What did Phonewatch say, as in why won't they give you the code? Usually they send out a disclaimer for you to sign and then they release the code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

I have the Simon 3 (again, it was in the house when we moved in from previous owners). At the time I tried getting the engineer code from PhoneWatch and they wouldn't give it out.
    We have used it as a standalone alarm for a few years now but a sensor has gone faulty and is intermittently tripping the alarm. Is there any way I can get the engineer code or do I have to do a full reset?

Thanks in advance

In most cases its the sensor head that needs to be replaced on the sensor.
    A way of verifying this is to open the sensor, disconnect the sensor head and connect the two wires together. Set the alarm and see how you get on. If it does not false alarm just replace the head. You should not need the engineer code to do this. If the sensor itself needs replacing then you would need the system defaulted to delete and add a new sensor.

Advertisement