Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going into teaching

Options
  • 31-08-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hey all, mods wasn't sure where to post this so if there is a more appropriate place feel free to move. I'm asking this on behalf of my sister. She has a level 8 agri-environmental degree completed in UCD a couple of years ago. She wants to go into secondary teaching but is getting it hard to get the correct answers or where to start. She wants to do maths and biology but hasn't enough credits from the base degree to do maths. Is there any other way of getting around this or what's the best way to go, or best college in Dublin to do it. Any advice really appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hey all, mods wasn't sure where to post this so if there is a more appropriate place feel free to move. I'm asking this on behalf of my sister. She has a level 8 agri-environmental degree completed in UCD a couple of years ago. She wants to go into secondary teaching but is getting it hard to get the correct answers or where to start. She wants to do maths and biology but hasn't enough credits from the base degree to do maths. Is there any other way of getting around this or what's the best way to go, or best college in Dublin to do it. Any advice really appreciated thanks

She will have to check what subjects the Teaching Council deem her qualified to teach - it's on the website - http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjok6a3noLWAhUoKMAKHV8SCPgQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teachingcouncil.ie%2Fen%2FPublications%2FRegistration%2FDocuments%2FCurricular-Subject-Requirments-after-January-2017.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHrV6W_FThPfA5H22ONDm9ga6i7gQ

From the Teaching Council point of view, once you are registered for at least one subject - it's up to the principal of the school to decide what a teacher can teacher depending on the needs of the school. It is common for Science teachers to teach Maths as well as their own subjects. If she is lucky to find a job, once she has one class of maths, she qualifies for the free maths course in UL. If not, she can get qualifications assessed and that will tell her exactly what her shortfalls are.

Has she a Masters in Education? (Two years full time in the universities or two years part time with Hibernia). If not she has to do that first as you can't sub without this qualification as you can't be paid.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Thanks very much for your reply, not she knows she has to do the other 2 years which she doesn't mind. ill pass all that onto her cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks very much for your reply, not she knows she has to do the other 2 years which she doesn't mind. ill pass all that onto her cheers

Make sure her degree is acceptable and I would also some teacher shadowing to make sure she knows what she is getting into. She also needs to know that she has a long road to travel to find employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tell her to find out from the Teaching Council what credits/modules she needs to qualify for the TC. Is it a lot or few! Get it in writing from the TC exactly what she needs to make up the shortfall.
    Then scout around the universities (open university too, but that can be pricey).
    DIT do part time maths courses so they might be amenable to letting her sitting in on some of the modules! http://www.maths.dit.ie/index.php/programmes/ptug

Advertisement