Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with no cashiers in the afternoon?

Options
  • 31-08-2017 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I try to do all my banking online or using the ATM. Sometimes I need to use the bank, but recently I have discovered that the majority of the BOI branches no longer have cashiers in the afternoon. Sorry for being blunt, but this is the dumbest and most customer unfriendly decision I have seen from any business, let alone a bank! The nearest 3 branches have no cashiers in the afternoon. The branch holding my account is Raheny and I have had the displeasure of visiting it twice in the past 6 weeks and on both occasions, the queue was past the door. The tellers are excruciatingly slow and I kid you not when I say I waited behind a queue of three people with no movement for more than 10 minutes. One staff member was helping a very elderly lady set up a 365 account. I felt sorry for the old lady who didn't seem to know what was happening to her. Another staff member was hanging around and didn't seem to be doing anything until I verbally expressed my dissatisfaction that only one cashier desk was open. The message was received and she opened another desk.

Will BOI be continuing with this ridiculous new policy of having no cashiers available in the afternoons in most branches? I am a personal and business customer and this policy does not go down well with me and the other customers seemed quite unimpressed too. Some people walked out as quickly as they walked into the branch and saw the queue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

goz83 wrote: »
    I try to do all my banking online or using the ATM. Sometimes I need to use the bank, but recently I have discovered that the majority of the BOI branches no longer have cashiers in the afternoon. Sorry for being blunt, but this is the dumbest and most customer unfriendly decision I have seen from any business, let alone a bank! The nearest 3 branches have no cashiers in the afternoon. The branch holding my account is Raheny and I have had the displeasure of visiting it twice in the past 6 weeks and on both occasions, the queue was past the door. The tellers are excruciatingly slow and I kid you not when I say I waited behind a queue of three people with no movement for more than 10 minutes. One staff member was helping a very elderly lady set up a 365 account. I felt sorry for the old lady who didn't seem to know what was happening to her. Another staff member was hanging around and didn't seem to be doing anything until I verbally expressed my dissatisfaction that only one cashier desk was open. The message was received and she opened another desk.

Will BOI be continuing with this ridiculous new policy of having no cashiers available in the afternoons in most branches? I am a personal and business customer and this policy does not go down well with me and the other customers seemed quite unimpressed too. Some people walked out as quickly as they walked into the branch and saw the queue.

Hi goz83,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I'm very sorry that you are unhappy in relation to this service and thank you for your feedback on it.
    I can confirm that in all of our branches there is also machines that can be used for both lodgements and withdrawals that would be available to use all day.

Thanks again for your message.
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So basically - please F*** off is the response.
    Luckily I got the hint a while back and took my business to another bank still fully staffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

goz83 wrote: »

Hi goz83,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I'm very sorry that you are unhappy in relation to this service and thank you for your feedback on it.
    I can confirm that in all of our branches there is also machines that can be used for both lodgements and withdrawals that would be available to use all day.

Thanks again for your message.
    Darren.
    There may be machines that can be used, but there are also short queues that take a very long time to clear. Why? Because some people do not know how to use them. I don't mean to be ageist, but a large proportion of delays are due to older people not knowing how to use the machines and while there is sometimes a staff member to assist, it still takes much longer than the average customer transaction.

The machines are also useless when I want to withdraw more than my daily limit, which is why I was in the bank the other day. 

Removing access to cashiers is ridiculous and pure greed on the banks behalf. Darren, soon you will be replaced by an automated support bot. That's what the bank is aiming for. Going by your response, it may as well have been an automated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

mickdw wrote: »
    So basically - please F*** off is the response.
    Luckily I got the hint a while back and took my business to another bank still fully staffed.
    I recently decided to give BOI another chance and moved my business account back to them from AIB. I only moved from AIB because I did not like their online banking software. The staff were great and I had no issues with the bank in general, but I do lots of banking online and I preferred the BOI software. I think I will move my accounts back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Boi have lost the plot. Restrictions to cash and other services to cut staff costs for short term gain....long term I can see major consequences as peoplet switch to other banks giving the services they need when they need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

A few months ago I had a small unexpected windfall in cash. I went in to a BoI branch to deposit this cash and they refused to accept it at the desk.

What sort of a bank refuses to accept a cash lodgement? I was literally going to the desk and saying please take my money, and they refused.
    .. so I took the cash home and just did no ATM transactions for about two months.

Then I moved my account.

If they want to refuse to provide a basic service then I can refuse to be a customer. simple.

Advertisement