Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing offers for all ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

=Gatling;104549373]Have you actual figures for the above

This is most likely off topic & I'm posting it not to win an argument but just to show people how debilitating autism can be
    The unemployment rate among people with autism spectrum disorders is currently around 80%, despite many of these people having excellent qualifications”, according to DCU President, Professor Brian MacCraith.

Full statement here: http://asiam.ie/dcu-announcement
    But as you already said the main issue is massive stock shortages across the board and till that is sorted discussion isn't doing anyone any

Again even talking about people with autism or mental health issues is irreverent with current housing stocks as we can't house them.

We just have to wait on housing stock & hope the planners are granting permission for the right size homes thinking more into the future then for todays market

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

To Hell or to Connacht didn't really work out too well the first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-miss-out-on-family-events-and-wont-see-daylight-at-all-some-weeks-says-father-36089828.html
    Why not give this guy a home beside his work place, if you think you shouldnt be moved from your friends or family. At least he is paying taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Why do people assume that some many of these homeless people have mental issues?

I don't see why it is so offensive to ask someone if they would move to a different area in order to get off the streets. On the other hand it seems perfectly acceptable for them to demand specific housing.

You would have to conclude they are really not all that badly off then and that the homeless issue is just exaggerated by media, some political parties and interest groups.

Why do people assume that some many of these homeless people have mental issues?

I don't see why it is so offensive to ask someone if they would move to a different area in order to get off the streets. On the other hand it seems perfectly acceptable for them to demand specific housing.

You would have to conclude they are really not all that badly off then and that the homeless issue is just exaggerated by media, some political parties and interest groups.

Because many homeless people have mental health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Because many homeless people have mental health issues.

But where are the figures on that and is the occurrence of mental health issues among homeless higher than the general population?

And no I don't think having a drug addiction is a mental illness.

But for those that truly have mental health issues then the government could use involuntary admission as a means of getting them off the streets.

But where are the figures on that and is the occurrence of mental health issues among homeless higher than the general population?

Vulnerable people tend to be homeless more so than non vulnerable people. The very fact that they don't have a couch to crash on speaks volumes.
    Even people without mental health problems tend to develop them when they are in hostels for over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Why should Joe Worker have to live in Mullingar or Portlaoise to spend half his life commuting to Dublin because he can't afford to rent or buy in the capital, while the career single Ma with 3 kids by 3 different men gets to pick an area she'd like to live in which happens to be some of the most prime real estate on the island? I've always thought that was ludicrous.

There are many single mothers that are "joe workers" too and are actually only able to do so because they have a really good support network where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Statistics on mental health issues are almost as complex as the illness itself, since many sufferers take many years to get help, some unfortunately never actually getting help, the statistics become skewed. I do believe that mental health issues are more prevalent amongst the homeless compared to the general population, but again, there's probably very poor data to back this up. I also suspect that many homeless may suffer with other complex issues such as complex behavioural problems, personality disorders, complex learning disabilities etc etc, unfortunately there's probably poor data to support these claims, as many of these individuals problems would actually be undiagnosed, therefore no data actually exists.
    And no I don't think having a drug addiction is a mental illness.

Drug addiction is actually caused by what the psychological world calls, 'cause and effect', I.e. the actual 'cause' of the addiction problem is the mental health issues, the 'effect' is the actual addiction itself. In order to treat the addiction problem, you must also treat the mental health issues, this is not easy, as I personally think, if you develop mental health issues, you effectively have them for life, but they must be managed forever more.
    But for those that truly have mental health issues then the government could use involuntary admission as a means of getting them off the streets.

Easier said than done, money and resources are probably the key here, and from personal experience, mental health issues are not treated the same as physical injuries. Our mental health services probably require a much larger investment than what we currently invest in our physical health services, what's the chances of that?

Most of these opinions come from personal experiences, I've spent the majority of my life struggling with mental health issues, depression and anxiety disorder, recently diagnosed with a learning disability, dyslexia, and probably have undiagnosed autism. I've met many with these type of issues and some with much worse, some have gotten help, but unfortunately many, if not most have not for various different reasons. My saving graces have no doubt being my support networks, including family and friends, and of course medical and mental health professionals, sadly some simply don't have them, and some simply fall through the nets and end up homeless or worse. I know people that have gone there, those that survive generally end up with very deep scars for life, never really truly fitting into society, and nearly always live life struggling. My advice, talk to them, listen to their stories, they generally have very important things to say for the benefit of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ash23 wrote: »
    I could drive two hours and still be in the same county.
    Off topic, but how slowly do you drive?!? I could leave Dublin now and be in Limerick in slightly over two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

endacl wrote: »
    Off topic, but how slowly do you drive?!? I could leave Dublin now and be in Limerick in slightly over two hours.

West cork to north cork would be that. Think the point was, administering on a county basis doesn't make sense for certain things

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A woman I know on rent allowance turned down three offers of social housing because she didn't want to be associated with living in a council estate instead of getting the RAS.

Eventually she was told she was losing her RAS if she didn't accept the last offer. So she moved down the country to rent somewhere cheaper in the countryside where she wouldn't have to live amongst people she considered beneath her.

The astonishingly high rate of first refusals for social housing indicates there's more going on than refusal due to mental health support issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You put all the lists together right now in order of when people went on it.
    You put all of the available houses in the country at the moment into a website and categorize them.
    You give everyone on the housing list a priority number and a categoryike 3 bed, 2 bed etc.
    You give them one week to browse the houses available their category and pick say 10 in order of preference and then you make offers , cao style.

They already do this on a weekly basis already with the choice based lettings system ,
    We log on to a secure website that opens on Fridays with listings of available 2,3,4 bed properties you show interest in and put them in a shopping basket ,and on Tuesday they close the site and start the process of making offers to people

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Gatling wrote: »
    They already do this on a weekly basis already with the choice based lettings system ,
    We log on to a secure website that opens on Fridays with listings of available 2,3,4 bed properties you show interest in and put them in a shopping basket ,and on Tuesday they close the site and start the process of making offers to people

You would think that all of the boarded up houses would get used quickly then.

So if you end up not choosing anything then you just stay on the list?

Are the choices countrywide or confined to areas close to where you are living at the minute?

Is there a limit to how long you are allowed to keep getting choices?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

if you cant afford a home. you take what your given. obviously you will have stories from everyone why they cant move. if the job doesnt pay enought then move. there are jobs in mayo to.

Rural areas are already impacted by high unemployment so transplanting more folk to those areas is just solving one problem and creating another.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-miss-out-on-family-events-and-wont-see-daylight-at-all-some-weeks-says-father-36089828.html
    Why not give this guy a home beside his work place, if you think you shouldnt be moved from your friends or family. At least he is paying taxes

not related to the thread really but how in gods name is this a story

man commutes to work and gets home by 5.45,

thats the life of most people with familys living in dublin suburbs FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You would think that all of the boarded up houses would get used quickly then.

So if you end up not choosing anything then you just stay on the list?

Are the choices countrywide or confined to areas close to where you are living at the minute?

Is there a limit to how long you are allowed to keep getting choices?

The reason for boarded up houses is not because people don't choose them. The council have to have a house in a suitable state of repair before they offer them to anyone, which can take them anything up to a year. Even with houses left in very good condition by the previous owners they rip out wooden floors, tiles, kitchens etc. and put them back in the original "council" condition. Madness.

Gatling wrote: »
    That's a friend of mines sister ,

But I think your wrong using the mental health /autism as an excuse why people can't live out side of a particular area ,

All that is required is accessible schools and doctors surgeries and hospitals or clinics which all can be found in every county ,
    A forever home is better for people suffering aniexty than worrying about becoming homeless because they can't afford rents ,

This is why no real meaning discussion or changes could happen here because people are quick to use every excuse in the book not to push through real needed changes

You're wrong in saying that there are accessible school, doctors surgeries and hospitals or clinics in every county. Completely wrong.

Tipperary were I live for example has no psychiatric beds, patients are sent to Kilkenny.

My local GP looks after 2 towns so getting an appointment takes 2 weeks. Local hospitals and clinics for normal everyday things are in the next biggest town which can be 50kms away.

I'm well able to manage these things because I drive and I'm not what would be considered a vunerable person but I tell you one thing, I won't be living down here in my retirement because it would kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think if you are offered a house and turn it down you,ll be moved from the top of the list ,or lose a few points.
    People have x no of points depending of health status, how long you are on the list,no of kids,etc
    the last time i saw the form you can pick out 4 area,s egb city centre, swords,finglas etc
    The main problem we have is lack of of supply ,there are not 1000,s of empty council houses in rural area,s waiting to be accupied .
    Drive around any council estate or apartment block,
    at least 3 per cent of units are boarded up.
    i know 2 one bedroom flats empty for 2 years .
    in dublin 2 .
    The council renovates a flat when someone moves out.
    i think they replace kitchen units etc
    The government needs to set a target ,we will build say 10 000 units per year for low cost or social housing.
    one example ,theres an article in the sunday times this week,
    Theres a scheme for builders to get a grant to build affordable housing,
    They can get it even if the houses are selling for 400k.
    if joe bloggs turns down a house the next person on the list is offered it.
    The media seems to love writing about people turning down council houses .
    If someone lives in dublin and has 2 kids is it reasonable to expect her to move to kerry to get a council house.?
    And leave all her friends and family in dublin.
    I find it annoying to read articles about housing ,
    saying young people cannot afford to buy a house ,eg every house is 200k etc theres still houses going for 70 k in rural area,s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

People who are actually living on the streets or hostels on a nightly basis seem to get lumped in with those unable to buy or rent their own homes but still have a roof over their heads. Should we get stricter with the definition of homelessness? It's similar to how some groups define poverty, they use relative poverty as their definition.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    People who are actually living on the streets or hostels on a nightly basis seem to get lumped in with those unable to buy or rent their own homes but still have a roof over their heads. Should we get stricter with the definition of homelessness? It's similar to how some groups define poverty, they use relative poverty as their definition.

No, I don't because if you do that then the government is getting away with hiding the actual homeless figures. Living in a hotel room that you may have to move out of any day of the week is not having a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Well, rough sleepers often have other problems too like addiction or mental health issues and no support network. A high percentage of them is not able to take care of themselves due to their problems and have nowhere to go. While people who get evicted that don't have to battle these issues (for example fleeing home because the partner is violent) is usually able to get help from family and friends. It's not unusual for people just literally having a single bag of belongings and travel from one relative to another. I even know a case of that myself.

I was including those in hotels, b&bs, places like that, when I mentioned hostels.

I was including those in hotels, b&bs, places like that, when I mentioned hostels.

Well then that covers everyone currently called homeless??

pilly wrote: »
    Well then that covers everyone currently called homeless??

It doesn't. People living at home with parents, or with friends, or those saying they can't afford rent/mortgage are also classed homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

It doesn't. People living at home with parents, or with friends, saying they can't afford rent/mortgage are also classed homeless in some quarters.

In some quarters perhaps, but not by councils etc- they may be deemed "in need of housing" but not classified as homeless.

Neyite wrote: »
    if you cant afford a home. you take what your given. obviously you will have stories from everyone why they cant move. if the job doesnt pay enought then move. there are jobs in mayo to.

Rural areas are already impacted by high unemployment so transplanting more folk to those areas is just solving one problem and creating another.

Les not pretend there are lots who have no entension of ever working.

Neyite wrote: »

Les not pretend there are lots who have no entension of ever working.

It doesn't. People living at home with parents, or with friends, or those saying they can't afford rent/mortgage are also classed homeless.

No they're not, you're incorrect, sorry. You may be thinking about who makes up the councils waiting list but that's different to the homeless figures.

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    In some quarters perhaps, but not by councils etc- they may be deemed "in need of housing" but not classified as homeless.

I'm on a UK network at the moment so all my results are coming back UK related, but this is how NI class is
    If there is nowhere in the UK or anywhere else in the world that you can reasonably continue to live in as your home you are homeless. It can, however, be difficult to show that you are homeless if you have somewhere to live.
    you are staying temporarily with friends and family

I think the same definition may be used here. Someone living at home until it suits them to move out, saving money, waiting for something to come up etc are all seen as homeless.

Advertisement