Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is like living in ballyfermot?

Options
  • 31-08-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, Wondering if anyone knows about the neighbourhood of Seven Oaks at ballyfermot? I am thinking of buying an apartment there . Suggestions would be highly welcome! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ballyer is a large area and lower Ballyfermot is fine. Most of the trouble is down the Cherry Orchard end

Transport
    You have the frequent 40 which has its share of drinking, smoking and bad dance music :( The 79A which is far faster into and out of town stops right there too. The Luas is a good 15 minute walk away at a fast pace. I highly recommend cycling if you are working city centre

Pubs
    Laurence's Lounge and Ruby's are close but the Blackhorse Inn in Inchicore is far better than either. Your closest pub is that railway place in Inchicore but I've nothing good to say about it.

Takeaways
    Mr Wu across the road is amazing. China City is disgusting. Any other places so so

Leisure
    Well you the GAA pitch club and the pitch n putt club. You also have Dublins hidden gem in the War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge. I was in the area years before I figured out there is a footbridge shortcut, doh!

Sheninagans
    What you really came here to ask ;) lower Ballyfermot is settled with a large elderly population. There are annoying kids hanging around the shop on Decies Road but you can get that anywhere. The traveller families block up the footpaths on Decies Road with their jeeps and trailers but you wouldn't get hassle or anything, just annoying. The most anti social behaviour you'll get is that wretched 40 Dublin Bus. But not in the morning, the little lambs don't get up to work each day :rolleyes:

People say the rail bridge is the boundary between Ballyfermot and Inchicore but I guess if you go back far enough the area was Inchicore. Ruby's claim to be Inchicore anyway

Hope that helps. I could be wrong but I think Kathryn Thomas lives there !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be aware of railway noise almost 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I learned so much about the criminal justice system from just sitting on the top deck of the 40 bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 YUYAXUAN

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Ballyer is a large area and lower Ballyfermot is fine. Most of the trouble is down the Cherry Orchard end

Transport
    You have the frequent 40 which has its share of drinking, smoking and bad dance music :( The 79A which is far faster into and out of town stops right there too. The Luas is a good 15 minute walk away at a fast pace. I highly recommend cycling if you are working city centre

Pubs
    Laurence's Lounge and Ruby's are close but the Blackhorse Inn in Inchicore is far better than either. Your closest pub is that railway place in Inchicore but I've nothing good to say about it.

Takeaways
    Mr Wu across the road is amazing. China City is disgusting. Any other places so so

Leisure
    Well you the GAA pitch club and the pitch n putt club. You also have Dublins hidden gem in the War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge. I was in the area years before I figured out there is a footbridge shortcut, doh!

Sheninagans
    What you really came here to ask ;) lower Ballyfermot is settled with a large elderly population. There are annoying kids hanging around the shop on Decies Road but you can get that anywhere. The traveller families block up the footpaths on Decies Road with their jeeps and trailers but you wouldn't get hassle or anything, just annoying. The most anti social behaviour you'll get is that wretched 40 Dublin Bus. But not in the morning, the little lambs don't get up to work each day :rolleyes:

People say the rail bridge is the boundary between Ballyfermot and Inchicore but I guess if you go back far enough the area was Inchicore. Ruby's claim to be Inchicore anyway

Hope that helps. I could be wrong but I think Kathryn Thomas lives there !

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Deposit already put!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

YUYAXUAN wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Deposit already put!!!

I looked at a few placed mainly near markiviec Park (spelling??) Some of it seemed find. Was a genuine consideration. Just kept getting outbidded. Endes up going settling on Cumlin instead. Always figured if tge neighbours were okay, i could survive.

• Advertisement

I looked at a few placed mainly near markiviec Park (spelling??) Some of it seemed find. Was a genuine consideration. Just kept getting outbidded. Endes up going settling on Cumlin instead. Always figured if tge neighbours were okay, i could survive.

I got outbided at Cumlin as well..congrats!~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Kathryn Thomas lives in the CIE estate in Inchicore (though she pretends she lives in Kilmainham!).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

c4jt321.png
    Anyone from ballyfermot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've a house in ballyfermont that I rent out, experience has thought me to only rent to people from ballyfermont. In my experience, It's a mad place and if you are not from there , the locals will eat you alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ted1 wrote: »
    I've a house in ballyfermont that I rent out, experience has thought me to only rent to people from ballyfermont. In my experience, It's a mad place and if you are not from there , the locals will eat you alive.
    I bought a house in lower ballyfermot a few years ago now. Not a bother at all safe and quiet little street lots of older people and young couples. 79/79a flys into town in 15 mins. Mr wus is a good takeaway, molloys off license is terrific. Ballyfermot itself can be fairly rough though tbh...stick to lower ballyfermot would be my advice.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Be aware of railway noise almost 24 hours.
    I live a street over from Decies and hear nothing at all. Decies road only this would be an issue.

I spent my formative years in Ballyfermot and I wouldn't move west of Le Fanu Road but east of it is fine in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

This is one of the first pictures that came up when I googled Ballyfermot...
    image.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I teach in ballyer, kids daft as brushes but it's as honest a reflection of modern society as you'll ever get. You never quite forget the first time you visit one of your tutor class while he's on remand.

Thanks for all your inputs.. But do anyone know the neighbourhood of seven oaks by any chance? on google map here: https://goo.gl/maps/5yoFk35FVGw

Once I concern I have now by checking on the registered house sold price here is that most of the apartments were not sold at full market price in the recent years..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eoghanm

YUYAXUAN I'm looking at buying in Seven Oaks too. Have you moved in? Any thoughts on the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Why don't you ask Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I teach in ballyer, kids daft as brushes but it's as honest a reflection of modern society as you'll ever get. You never quite forget the first time you visit one of your tutor class while he's on remand.

Ballyer ??

s8n wrote: »
    Ballyer ??
    Slang term for Ballyfermot :)

I live in LOWER (thats important apparently!) Ballyfermot, and its a lovely quiet spot tbh with great parks, friendly neighbours and very handy to town etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

gmisk wrote: »
    Slang term for Ballyfermot :)

I live in LOWER (thats important apparently!) Ballyfermot, and its a lovely quiet spot tbh with great parks, friendly neighbours and very handy to town etc.

Which part is "lower" ?

I've spotted some nice houses and moving from Drimnagh I dont want more of the same.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    Which part is "lower" ?

I've spotted some nice houses and moving from Drimnagh I dont want more of the same.
    it would be the side beside inchicore, I have been here coming up on 3 years, no bother at all and feel very safe people are really nice and friendly.
    I can recommend most of the streets to the right of the park, I am on lally road and it is very quiet.
    Decies road would be busy and it has a train line behind it so would avoid.
    If you want to PM me work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Lower Ballyfermot would be from Kylemore Road to Inchicore.

Decies Road doesn't have a train line behind it. Landen Road does. After a few weeks you don't even notice it. Double glazing keeps out 99% of the noise, as does the treeline directly behind the houses. Decies road does have the two bus routes 79/79a going up and down it.

Seven Oaks is a nice place, all amenities fairly close and a 40 minute walk (4 or 5 km)to the city.

Wood wrote: »
    Lower Ballyfermot would be from Kylemore Road to Inchicore.

Decies Road doesn't have a train line behind it. Landen Road does. After a few weeks you don't even notice it. Double glazing keeps out 99% of the noise, as does the treeline directly behind the houses. Decies road does have the two bus routes 79/79a going up and down it.

Seven Oaks is a nice place, all amenities fairly close and a 40 minute walk (4 or 5 km)to the city.
    Sorry you are right landen, multitasking!

79/79a fly into town btw, much quicker than the 40 that I used to get when in Kilmainham.

Advertisement