Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap in insurance

Options
  • 31-08-2017 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

I left it too late this year to renew my insurance, and only realised that my NCT was out of date.

Anyway Aviva refused to renew the policy without the NCT so my question is how do I get the now uninsured car to and from the garage and back to the the NCT.

Call this car car A

Note there are 2 minor bits to be fixed for the NCT for car A : a part needs replacing in the suspension, a new tyre is needed and a bulb is gone.

we have a second car call it car B in the house on which I am insured

Could my wife drive car A to the garage and for the NCT?

Or is there another way to handle this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Your wife needs to examine the driving of other cars extension on her policy. Some insurers exclude vehicles belonging to a spouse. I'm prwsuming Car B is insured in your wife's name

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Your wife needs to examine the driving of other cars extension on her policy. Some insurers exclude vehicles belonging to a spouse. I'm prwsuming Car B is insured in your wife's name

Ok ill check her policy. Yes car B is in her name with a different company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Some insurers, like Aviva, also say the other car (Car A) must have it's own cover, which knocks that plan on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Some insurers, like Aviva, also say the other car (Car A) must have it's own cover, which knocks that plan on the head
    Yes thats what I'm concerned about.

The OH's policy says
    ''Vehicless or classes of vehicles, the use of which is covered - reg number of OHs car

The policyholder ( the OH ) if they have a full EU licence, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any Private Motor Car that they do not own and have not hired or leased subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.''

Looks like she can drive my car and be covered. I think I should check with her insurance company before she gets behind the wheel.

My policy is / was with Aviva, the OHs policy is with Liberty.

Anyway its about half a mile to the garage to get the car fixed and then about 2 miles on to the NCT centre, but uninsured is uninsured - not going to go there, so trying to get a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Yes thats what I'm concerned about.

The OH's policy says
    ''Vehicless or classes of vehicles, the use of which is covered - reg number of OHs car

The policyholder ( the OH ) if they have a full EU licence, may also drive, with the permission of the owner, any Private Motor Car that they do not own and have not hired or leased subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.''

Looks like she can drive my car and be covered. I think I should check with her insurance company before she gets behind the wheel.

My policy is / was with Aviva, the OHs policy is with Liberty.

Anyway its about half a mile to the garage to get the car fixed and then about 2 miles on to the NCT centre, but uninsured is uninsured - not going to go there, so trying to get a way around it.

Worst case you get mechanic to drive it and pay for his time

• Advertisement
Advertisement