Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidying unused alarm cables

Options
  • 31-08-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Our new build came wired for an alarm but we got a wireless alarm installed. Rather than remove the cables completely I was going to try and hide some back into the walls in case we want to use them again in the future.

Some I can just push back on bit others are very long or are at block walls where I cannot seem to easily push them back in or I can push in a bit but not all the way. I was going to trim some that I can push back a bit so that there is still length there required. How long to I need to leave?

Also some are continuous in that there is one long loop of wire coming out, roughly a couple of meters. Can I snip this back or do I need to leave the wire joined?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Has your wireless alarm got sensors on the windows already?
    If not use something like these junction boxes & cut the wires long enough to fit inside them.

1865.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yes there are sensors on every window already.

I Guess the main part of the question is can I cut back the wire to a certain length to still leave them usable in the future and where the cables are continuous can I cut them and push them back into the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why did you get a wireless system when you already had the wires there?

Why did you get a wireless system when you already had the wires there?

It was free...

I won the alarm and a years monitoring. I would like to have the option in the future though to still use the wires for a wired alarm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes there are sensors on every window already.

I Guess the main part of the question is can I cut back the wire to a certain length to still leave them usable in the future and where the cables are continuous can I cut them and push them back into the wall?

Yes. 3-4 inches would be plenty to use them in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

It was free...

I won the alarm and a years monitoring. I would like to have the option in the future though to still use the wires for a wired alarm

Does the system you won not cover accessible windows and doors?

altor wrote: »
    Does the system you won not cover accessible windows and doors?

Every window and door has sensors and there are also pir's in place. Just want to future proof

Your doing right. Keep the cables just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Every window and door has sensors and there are also pir's in place. Just want to future proof

Strange they installed a wire free system if the cables are already in place.
    Cost wise also it would of been cheaper.

Advertisement